Anyone using 5, 6 or 7 of the same speaker in a HT?

98_1LE

My current HT consists of four KG5.5 (mains and sides in a 6.1), a KG5.2 (rear) and a KV-3 (center). I am planning to replace the TV with a projector and screen, and replace the KV-3 and KG5.2 with another pair of KG5.5's, but was wondering what the forum thought. It seems to me this would be the best way to "sonically match" the speakers.

My first "theater" setup was KG 3.5 as mains and a KV-2, so I've traveled a similar path. At the time I thought that was pretty good. Then I found this forum...on recommendations from here, I added the 3.5's all around. The timbre match was everything that was described here. I modified one 3.5 (with help from this forum) to be a horizontal center. See pic below...

It doesn't look like much, but it was sonic heaven...[:)] As opportunities from this forum presented themselves I was able to move to an all KLF setup. I did keep the 3.5's though...[6]

I say the above to make a point that an all KG 5.5 setup will take you to the next level in sound quality. What it does is create a "seamless" soundstage. It is as realistic as it gets. I was able to hear the difference and you should too. If you have a line on another pair of 5.5's...GO FOR IT! [;)]

Good luck and hope this helps...

I'm using 5 forte II's and two quartets for rear centers. Sounds seamless. Matching three across front is the most important.

I agree wholeheartedly . Getting that single Belle for the center , "Thanks GaryMD" , was for me possibly the single most important audio purchase I have made . The matching front 3 .

I'm using 5 Belles and can't imagine it getting any better . Then again , I used to run 5 Heresies and thought the same thing .

I say go for it ! You won't be dissapointed !

I bet that sounds great..................looks good too.........................

Thanks Mr. B

I may be a bit biased but I think it stomps the crud out of any commercial theater around here . "Including the IMAX !!!"

At the risk of bragging, I went all over the country for 7 identical split la scalas.. All the same drivers all the same x overs...

Yes, Timbre..(how each speaker is voiced and sounds is EXACTLY the same.) I can't stress this enough on the forum, if you have the capacity to do this... THIS is the nirvana, golden cup, whatever you want to call it, "ideal situation" for HT. Every and I mean every other center speaker is a compromise somehow, if it is not the same as your left and right mains. (it may still sound great but NOT seamless...) You could even take average speakers, match em all around and get pretty good results... Look no farther than bose cubes... Use superior ones and get superior results.

So the answer is yes.. 100% of the time.

At the risk of bragging, I went all over the country for 7 identical split la scalas.. All the same drivers all the same x overs...

Yes, Timbre..(how each speaker is voiced and sounds is EXACTLY the same.) I can't stress this enough on the forum, if you have the capacity to do this... THIS is the nirvana, golden cup, whatever you want to call it, "ideal situation" for HT. Every and I mean every other center speaker is a compromise somehow, if it is not the same as your left and right mains. (it may still sound great but NOT seamless...) You could even take average speakers, match em all around and get pretty good results... Look no farther than bose cubes... Use superior ones and get superior results.

So the answer is yes.. 100% of the time.

That Too, must be an awesome sounding EXPERIENCE, how's your popcorn????

The popcorn is amazing. The sound..the picture... You just get lost in it all. And that's the point!

I am still not so sure how to handle the side surrounds issue with most sides non direct.. but everything else I have pointed out is dead on.

BTW, for what it is worth.... in 2 channel just left and right speakers on some recordings you SWEAR the middle speaker is on it is down right scary!!!

Just don't try to eat the popcorn with the Berkliners leaned back too far LOL

I have been surrounded by Cornwalls and it's awesome (but not as awesome as Indy's Split LSI experience!) Indy is correct- proper HT nirvana is only achieved by exact matching cabinets in all corners! Adding a mate for the center and it's 'we must be in heaven man!'.

Remember to add the THX sub system and wooohooooo!

Michael

Well my four Klipschorn's, La Scala center, and Belle Klipsch rear effects/centers backed up with a pair of servo Velodyne's will leave you with that slack jawed look on your face. Not to mention the capability of running cleanly into the 120db+ range. [ip]

What was that McHammer phrase, oh yeah: "You can't Touch This!"

Thanks Colterphoto1 for your kind comments.

I will stick to the 5,6,7, alike speakers to achieve this too. But the key is, others can too!

There are quite a few in here I have talked to over the years I believe that have the same systems like mine with Heresy's, corns, bells, etc etc Even one with I believe 5 K horns.. Some mix and match heritage older speakers, and that, too, is very very close...

The key is that seamless sound all around. When it is set up right, it is magical!

Well my four Klipschorn's, La Scala center, and Belle Klipsch rear effects/centers backed up with a pair of servo Velodyne's will leave you with that slack jawed look on your face. Not to mention the capability of running cleanly into the 120db+ range. [ip]

What was that McHammer phrase, oh yeah: "You can't Touch This!"

Damn man, 120 dbl +, that would make an old dog like me wet my pants.........Awesome............I'm only a couple of hours away...........would I like to hear the Stones, Sticky Fingers on that ............Another nice set up.............

I tend to only do it in short bursts while I am by myself, but it is amazing to hear it get more lifelike and real the further you push it. I am also afraid of blowing something when playing at those levels, but it sure puts a big smile on the ole' face. Goosepimple inducing even.

I have become accustomed to it somewhat since I sometimes listen at that level in my car which has a system that can probably put 90% of two channel systems to shame. Nothing like doing 80MPH with the moonroof open and hear the system clear as a bell. No boomy bass in the car either, tight, solid and low.

I know I am crazy! I love music and I like it loud sometimes.

I tend to only do it in short bursts while I am by myself, but it is amazing to hear it get more lifelike and real the further you push it. I am also afraid of blowing something when playing at those levels, but it sure puts a big smile on the ole' face. Goosepimple inducing even.

I have become accustomed to it somewhat since I sometimes listen at that level in my car which has a system that can probably put 90% of two channel systems to shame. Nothing like doing 80MPH with the moonroof open and hear the system clear as a bell. No boomy bass in the car either, tight, solid and low.

I know I am crazy! I love music and I like it loud sometimes.

Wrong, nothing like doing 80 mph with the moon roof open, and kicking a Porsche 911 in the *** and hearing that six banger blatt out sweet sounds!!!!! Pin me to your chair with your stereo, and I'll let you drive my 911........................maybe we're both crazy..........

I don't know how loud it was, but I took my Radio Shack DB meter out to test something a few months ago. It sounded about -20 down from where my ears said it was. Trey tested it for me and said it was off my -22 (pretty good guess eh?). He went through the electronics and came to the conclusion that I'd blown up the mic on the thing!

But like you guys, that was just a bad day in 'show off' mode. Usually I'm at 65 or so with music. A bit more with movies. But it's sure nice to have the headroom when you need it!

Roger, I think Charles is exempt from the 'exact timbre match' standard. With a setup like that- whew man- that's gotta be just beyond words!

Michael