A Maryland-DC-No. Virginia Klipsch and Music Fest!

LarryC

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It sounds like there's enough sightseeing just with your systems! Is there a contingent of forum members from out of town staying at a particular place? I'm assuming flying in Friday afternoon, and out Sunday afternoon would work?

Gregg,

That'd be great if you came to our fest!

My inn is filled up, too (I have a fold-out bed of sorts that's narrower than a twin-size, if someone wants to sleep in the basement!), and the guest won't have a car. I'll leave it to you about renting one, but am afraid it will get complicated if I have to shuttle more than one person around.

Someone else asked about places to stay, and I said I thought a AAA tour book is the best info source I know of. Downtown Bethesda would be best since it's close to me, e.g., a Holiday Inn and other places nearby. If you look at AAA, look for places with addresses in the high 7000's and especially the 8000's on Wisconsin Avenue.

Another place that comes to mind is a Doubletree up on Rockville Pike, right across the street from the subway for downtown DC if you're so inclined. Otherwise, it's a bit of a distance for simple travel to my place and Strathmore, and downtown Bethesda is a better location.

The Pook's Hill Marriott is excellent for my place and Strathmore, but probably way out of anyone's price range. I don't know about bed-and-breakfasts.

Let us know!

Larry

It sounds like there's enough sightseeing just with your systems! Is there a contingent of forum members from out of town staying at a particular place? I'm assuming flying in Friday afternoon, and out Sunday afternoon would work?

I don't know where anyone else is staying. Dean and Larry W, where are you folks staying?

Yes, that travel schedule would work, tho' we may be heading out to someone's Sunday AM, so I wouldn't make it too early in the afternoon. I'll be picking up my guest at BWI on Friday around 3:30 p.m. and taking him back there around 4:30 p.m. on Sunday.

Just throwing out some food for thought. Gary and Larry live pretty close to each other. I am a bit further north...opposite direction of the concert.

How many of you are driving out of town to the north? We could cancel my house on Saturday if it complicates things logistically and any up north people could hit my place on the way out of town Sunday...assuming you want to visit my humble set up after Gary and Larry's.

Also I am about 45 minutes from BWI so leaving my place in your rent-a-car and flying out Sunday would work for those people too.

So who is driving and who is flying out Sunday?

Got room for one more from the shore (Ocean City-Salisbury)?

Sure, come along. You'll probably have to sit on the floor.

Man, I'm going to have to start considering closing registration on this mother of all Northeast Klipschfests!

You need to tell me TONIGHT, though (I'm going out of town for a week tomorrow) -- are you in for the 10/14 evening symphony concert?

Thanks,

Larry

Reply to no one in particular:

Sounds like a full weekend. With all that is going on, I may have to come up Friday afternoon/evening after work. If somebody's got a basement I can crash out in, I'll bring my surplus Army cot that I could just setup (or just throw a sleeping bag on the floor, like I did when I was up in PA last weekend at a friends place for a pool party). I wonder how Gary would think of me pitching a tent in his back yard [;)]. I would not mind Thebe's place, but I don't smoke and cigarette smoke does bother me after a while. Driving back and forth between up there and Fredericksburg is just far enough (and just enough of a pain in the butt drive) to make it difficult for me to go home each evening.

Anyway, I am definitly looking forward to this.

Also to add! Yes, I can ensure that prog/power metal is well represented [:D]

Steve, as I mentioned above, I have a basement and a narrow fold-up bed, so if my smallish basement is OK and you don't mind cats visiting their food and covered litter boxes (NO odor!), it's yours to stay in. Bring your cot anyway and see what you prefer, or pitch a tent in my back yard.

Then, you're closer to Gary's for playing your prog/power metal. Whatever that is. [8-)]

Marty,

That is a sweet offer (and can you imagine you, me and the twins??), but, like Steve, smoke gets to me. I may just try to sneak into Kaiser's room...(notice he has not revealed the location!).

My wife just asked me, "Can we afford it?" I'm thinking, what does that have to do with it??

Steve, as I mentioned above, I have a basement and a narrow fold-up bed, so if my smallish basement is OK and you don't mind cats visiting their food and covered litter boxes (NO odor!), it's yours to stay in. Bring your cot anyway and see what you prefer, or pitch a tent in my back yard.

I may just go with that option, as long as the basement isn't like a dungeon (i.e., that basement of the Klipsch museum, for example).

Then, you're closer to Gary's for playing your prog/power metal. Whatever that is. [8-)]

Ahh, yes prog/power metal! I even played a couple fine examples for you at the Klipsch Pilgrimage (that classical piece that I played for you off my iPod, was in fact, off a power/prog metal album - in that case, Angra's Temple of Shadows). But any case, I do have something I do want to bring up to show you. I'll have to bring up my Animusic DVD's to show you the "Aqua Harp" segment from Animusic I as well as the "Expeditions in Pictures" segment from Animusic II. And yes, I'll try to bring up the originals.

I may just go with that option, as long as the basement isn't like a dungeon (i.e., that basement of the Klipsch museum, for example).

I'll have to bring up my Animusic DVD's to show you the "Aqua Harp" segment from Animusic I as well as the "Expeditions in Pictures" segment from Animusic II. And yes, I'll try to bring up the originals.

Oh well, you can always use the stairs instead of the hand-cranked elevator if you must! I've only seen "Aqua Harp" once on the Arts channel, so that will be a treat.

I can certainly get the HT going for the Animusic although Rich's HT blows mine away. I did watch the first at John Malotky's but the 2nd hadn't been released yet.

Larry's finished basement will be nice and cozy for you Steve. I've slept in much worse places!

Hey Larry (et al),

Sounds like you guys have a very interesting weekend planned - should be a blast. I've read through the posts and I'm going to try and catch up with the crew at some point, listen to some music and gear and put a face to some of the avatars on the Forum.

Have fun, Bryan