Can I pad this down somehow?

Thanks Erik... Yup new here, look for the thread "Peeking in to say HI. Can I play?"

LOL umm yeah, I can solder. Was slinging solder as a kid in my Dad's TV/Radio repair shop back in the days before sand, errrr transistors. Opps, does that make me old? Anyway, I have already upgraded the caps in my AA networks and my intent of this thread was to have the Klipsch Gods here clue me in as to an easy fix for my problem. And of course y'all came through. Thanks folks!

(Angle food cake LOL, ya had me going for a second there LOL)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belleman:

"LOL umm yeah, I can solder. Was slinging solder as a kid in my Dad's TV/Radio repair shop back in the days before sand, errrr transistors."

Okay, I just wanted to check on the soldering thing. Your early experiences sound very much like my own. That's kind of neat! Electronics used to bore me to death, but it was the only way I could spend time with my dad.

Just for a quick check, you could even just clip the lead at #4, restrip the wire, twist, tin, and tack (oops, sorry, you already know this stuff!) to #3 to hear what you hear.

What Rick illustrated is actually refreshing for a change, and the most frequent way I have seen and made L-pads. Thanks for posting that.

Erik

It worked! It worked! (jumping up and down like a kid)

Gawd I love an easy, cheap fix like this. After work today I fired up the ole iron and moved that tap and cut out the capacitor.

Might I say, what a difference! Sounds soooooooo much better guys, whew. I can listen to these now for hours and enjoy it much more. This will hold me over for now until I can get a lil money saved up to try more fun things!

Thanks to EVERYONE here for their kind and helpful responses! You guys ROCK!

(special thanks to Bob. Your da man)

It worked! It worked! (jumping up and down like a kid)

Gawd I love an easy, cheap fix like this. After work today I fired up the ole iron and moved that tap and cut out the capacitor.

Might I say, what a difference! Sounds soooooooo much better guys, whew. I can listen to these now for hours and enjoy it much more. This will hold me over for now until I can get a lil money saved up to try more fun things!

Thanks to EVERYONE here for their kind and helpful responses! You guys ROCK!

(special thanks to Bob. Your da man)

Belleman,

I am confused. You have received many suggestions and I am not sure which one you implemented. It sounds like you changed taps, but did you also substitute the cap or just eliminate it? What was done?

-Tom

oh, oh, oh...sorry Tom....guess I got a bit excited.

Well I had upgraded the caps in my AA network and in order to get the 13 value I paralleled a 6.2 and a 6.8. (Thanks Bob) So when I say I "cut out a cap" I cut out the 6.8 and I also moved the transformer tap. It made these sound much more tame and more involving to me. Before they were just to damn rude and in my face.

Dee,

He didn't do anything to the tweeter. He has changed the value of the squawker cap to compensate for the tap being moved from tap 4 to tap 3 on the autotransformer. It is the correct thing to do, when changing the tap, but I am not convinced it is audible.

Bob Crites

I'm real surprised with the "good" results of doing this. Nice to hear it worked though.

After you listen to this several weeks, please report back on your longer term opinion. Not to predispose you to any conclusions, but really curious if you come around to find the tweeter a bit prominent at high volumes.

My ear is somewhat sensitive to tweeter sounds anyway.

jc

I'm real surprised too and damn happy that's for sure! I'm sensitive to highs and tweeter sound also and I dearly miss my Raven tweeters and their beautiful shimmering highs as compared to the stiff, tish, tish, tish of these horn tweeters. (Frankly, I've never heard any highs as good as the Raven true ribbons) But regardless of that, all I know is that what I did has made me want to take off work tomorrow and listen to LPs all damn day long. This simple tap change nailed the sound I thought these could do. I'm loving the big speaker dynamics in my new dedicated two channel room.

Bob:

"It is the correct thing to do, when changing the tap, but I am not convinced it is audible."

Nor am I. The only difference in the quality or characteristic of the sound I can detect is the attenuation.

Belleman: I don't recall the age of your speakers. Maybe you mentioned that elsewhere and I missed it. However, if you have the K55-V drivers for the squawker -- this model has spring-loaded push terminals for the cables that connect to the crossover -- some of what you're hearing might be related to a peaky response that's commonly associated with this particular driver. This is a spike that's said to occur at approx. 9kHz.

An 'LC' notch filter (nicknamed the 'P-trap'), consisting of a .1mH coil and 3uf in parallel with each other will iron out and smooth the response. Sounds as if you've already had good results with the attenuation, but this might be something you can try to improve the sound even more. It's inexpensive and easy to do. I meant to mention it yesterday and forgot.

Erik

An 'LC' notch filter (nicknamed the 'P-trap'), consisting of a .1mH coil and 3uf in parallel with each other will iron out and smooth the response. Sounds as if you've already had good results with the attenuation, but this might be something you can try to improve the sound even more. It's inexpensive and easy to do. I meant to mention it yesterday and forgot.

Erik

Heyyyyy awesome info there Erik. You know I'm gonna try that lil trick. Thanks dude!

(high five)

1975 Belles and yuppers, the spring-loaded push terminals. Oh so you've been on the Lemmon before? We had a huge fire up there a couple of years ago you prolly heard about. I've not been up that way in a while. Would be nice to go cool off there though.

• 2 weeks later...

Put the P traps in this weekend. Much better! Thanks for the tip. Between changing out the caps, switching the transformer tap, installing the P traps and bi-amping a good sub why, these ole Belles sound real nice. Thanks to EVERYONE that helped!