Nice shiney Dynaco ST-70 BIN $229!!!

3dzapper

the seller bought a tube tester on the 28th of march, so you would think he could testify to the condition of the tubes.

let me check to see what a set of tubes will cost for this.

Think this is a better deal. This is a st-70 clone, all new, only 650.

http://www.dynakitparts.com/store/product.aspx?id=2

These used st-70's start cheap, but by the time you repace tubes, caps, pots, the costs creeps, especially when you consider shipping to get an old amp services, plus labor.

The one listed on e-bay looks like a "generation two" unit, not an original "generation one" unit produced by dynaco.

I have a thread on the differences on the forum if anyone is curious.

Here is the link from that thread

http://www.tnt-audio.com/ampli/dynaco1e.html

yeah, it's a generation two unit. only the generation one units were produced by dynaco. this is basiclly a clone, sold by the company who bought the dyanco trade name. the company before pandor.

you can tell it's a generation two unit becase it has plastic insulation on the transformers rather than cloth insulation.

the transofers for the generation two units were made in korea, and are not favored.

if you don't buy a generation one unit, you might as well buy a new like the ones sold by dynakit in the link below.

I have a generation II version, and it rocks! Then again, I only paid $50 for it.

EDIT: Actually, mine isn't a Series II. There were multiple versions released by Dynaco. Mine is just one of the later ones.

I have replaced everything though, but then I have had it for over 30 years. [:D]

The gen II versions had a green FRP pc board, and not the phenolic ones. The one in the pic is certainly not the glass epoxy board.

Bruce

I agree, if it has the cloth leads...the xformers are the primo type.

I looked again, and they still look plastic, but if you can vouch that they are cloth, that's as good as gold.

These do look to be cloth leads. The lighting is playing tricks I think. Regardless, Dynaco made the ST70 for some time in this version. The transformer were outsourced to Japan. People like to think the cloth leaded ones were better but I'll bet you couldn't tell the difference in real life. They were designed and made to Hafler specs and the Japanese were, by that time, making as good of quality parts as we Americans were.

http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/history.html

That said, when it comes to what it's worth, perception is that the cloth leaded ones are the best so they are definitely worth more. As far as buying a new kit, I have heard that maybe what makes these old vintage units sound so magical is the age of the transformers. It's been said that these old trnasformers can take 30 years to break in to their peak levels. That could be another load of hogwash but I have read it more than once in the trade rags so again, you have perception coming into play.

Edit: That's funny 3DZapper! You must have read what I read.

scott0527

So you give this a thumbs up?

I sent the seller an email to clairfy.

btw, the seller owns a tube tester, he bought one in march on ebay, so he knows his way around, surely he knows the xformers alone are probally worth his BIN. Wonder why he's throwing this over the fence.......

Fritz, When you questioned it, I downloaded the pic of the bottom and blew it up X3. definately cloth leads. You're right the trannies are worth the BIN.

This month I bought a pair of DIY Vifa speakers for $100 really just for the crossovers. The guy built them like Dean. I want to use them on my TV where I already have a pair of Vifa tweeters but just a simple 3.5K capacitor x-over. The guy gooned me on shipping though.(

Then I won a Scott 299D on the bay. Bought 2 dozen arrows which I did not like so I had to buy 2 dozen more of a more expensive type and all the fixin's to take to the worlds with me next month. If I spend any more, I'll be Bobbitted! [:$]

Rick

scott0527 So you give this a thumbs up? I sent the seller an email to clairfy. btw, the seller owns a tube tester, he bought one in march on ebay, so he knows his way around, surely he knows the xformers alone are probally worth his BIN. Wonder why he's throwing this over the fence.......

You know, it looks well taken care of. The inside looks clean as the outside. Someone did what looks like a nice neat job of replacing some parts on the driver board. Even has the cage according the questions/answers. If you were ever looking for a tube amp to get you into tubes or an amp for a spare room, I can't imagine you finding a better tube amplifier for $229. I've got a few of the "legends" by McIntosh and Marantz(rebuit to spec by professionals) and really, the ST70 is never embarrased by any of them in my opinion.

Looks like we have at least one transformer that is not part of a generation one unit. I recieved a response from the seller to the transformer insulation question which I indicated I would send himm. note from seller:

"In the photo that shows the wiring, the upper

transformer has all cloth covered wires; the lower

transformer has 3 cloth and 2 plastic coated (the

blue/white and green/white are plastic coated). "

So this unit is either a generation two unit repaired with parts from a generation one unit , or a generation one unit that has been repaired with generation two parts? Would this explain the distortion in one channel?

These questions need not be answered. They were put in quetion form to avoid slander issues.

Looks like we have at least one transformer that is not part of a generation one unit. I recieved a response from the seller to the transformer insulation question which I indicated I would send himm. note from seller: "In the photo that shows the wiring, the upper transformer has all cloth covered wires; the lower transformer has 3 cloth and 2 plastic coated (the blue/white and green/white are plastic coated). " So this unit is either a generation two unit repaired with parts from a generation one unit , or a generation one unit that has been repaired with generation two parts? Would this explain the distortion in one channel? These questions need not be answered. They were put in quetion form to avoid slander issues.

I don't want to confuse people by calling them generation 1 and 2. While Dynaco was still owned by Hafler and later Tyco, I'm calling these all generation 1. They were all basically the same other than chassis finish, cage color, pcb board material and location of transformer manufacture. Generation 2 in my understanding were made in the 80's by Sound Valves (subcontracted to Panor) who bought the Dynaco name and inventory. It's all in that tntaudio link you posted on the first page.

Back to generation 1, the Japan transformers had all plastic leads. So I would guess that this unit has original USA made transformers and somebody has messed with the leads on one of them. If somebody was trying to rework and clean up the original owners assembly, it is possible the leads on the transformer were cut short and had to be spliced with new wire to reach the tube sockets. I've come close to doing this a couple of times when rebuilding and ST70. Remember these were DIY and some people would cut the leads so dead nuts that unsoldering and resoldering was almost impossible.

I wouldn't know what would be causing the distortion but trouble shooting these is pretty easy. I still might have taken a chance at $229 but now that the BIN is gone, probably just as well to leave this one alone.