More Solder Terminal K-55V's For You!

Frzninvt

IMO, Improvement only if you are using an AA network with out any of the band-pass mods, p-traps, notch filters, etc, and do not plan to ever upgrade your crossovers.

IMO, If you are considering a crossover upgrade, diverting funds to an "in-kind" squawker driver replacement may be tough on determining return on investment.

FYI, manufacture specs for the k-55 is 140hz - 4100hz, there are other mid drivers that do well with k-400, k-500, k-600 horns, and have a significantly higher upper band-width limit (altec 902, etc).

IMO, Improvement only if you are using an AA network with out any of the band-pass mods, p-traps, notch filters, etc, and do not plan to ever upgrade your crossovers. IMO, If you are considering a crossover upgrade, diverting funds to an "in-kind" squawker driver replacement may be tough on determining return on investment. FYI, manufacture specs for the k-55 is 140hz - 4100hz, there are other mid drivers that do well with k-400, k-500, k-600 horns, and have a significantly higher upper band-width limit (altec 902, etc).

I've been meaning search archives a bit, but I'll post a quick question here, You can't substitute these in for the K-55 M on an AL-3 networked pair of LaScalas can you?

No, the K-55M is ~1.5db hotter than the K-55V and is on par performance wise with the dual phase plug solder terminal version.

The specs provided above are for the spring terminal K-55V, the solder terminal version is a tad more efficient and also extends further out than the spring terminal version. It also does not suffer from supposed the 9Khz glitch that requires a P-trap to correct.

It has nothing to do with the type of terminal. The difference is in having a one-piece of two-piece phase plug. Up until about 1980 the K-55V had a one-piece phase plug. Starting in about 1980, a few K-55Vs were made with a two piece phase plug. Those also happened to have solder terminals. Now the K-55X is back to a single piece phase plug, but with solder terminals.

Bob Crites

one-piece phase plug

post-9312-13819304403334_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the 1000 words, Bob! Well, 2000 I guess! Before now, I never really understood what the phase plug was.

Any way to tell, apart from opening the drivers, if the Atlas PD-5VH

drivers I have implement a 1 or 2 piece phase plug? Would the terminal

type tell for sure? I have no way of knowing how old these are, and I'm

sure my ears don't know the difference, but I'm curious.

I think if you have Atlas labeled PD-5VHs, they would have one-piece phase plugs. I think the two-piece phase plug was something that Klipsch got Atlas to do for them for a short time. Opening them up would be the only way to know for sure as far as I know.

Bob Crites

Here are a couple more priced at $50 each BIN, a relative steal. The replacement diaphrams alone cost more.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Klipsch-K55V-Mid-Range-Driver_W0QQitemZ220008967717QQihZ012QQcategoryZ3276QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Check the seller's other items for the other one.

I am all set or else I would have already bought them.