SVS broke my TV and my receiver

CAS

Recently both the TV and receiver pooped out. The TV just refuses to turn on (it clicks, but no power) and the receiver does something similar. No power...however just before it went out I did see a tiny little blue spark while looking through the top vents.

A friend of mine said that it might be the power supplies damaged in both items due to the current fluctuation caused by the sub during operation. Admittedly, I will notice a very slight decrease in light levels throughout the house when very loud transients pass through.

Does this sound like a plausible theory? Do I need a power conditioner?

Heh... Sounds like you've got a similar "good" wiring as I do. Whoever wired my house should be shot. My room is on one breaker along with half of another nearby room and part... The bathroom wiring is on the same breaker as the air conditioner, washing machine, and the dishwasher (which is downstairs)...

When I turn on my receiver, my lights dim briefly and snap back. They also used to do this when I would turn on the power amp for my ex-sub. I rarely listen loud enough that I would dim the lights or anything...

I wonder if using a power conditioner would even help in that case. If your sub is drawing that much power, I think you may have bigger issues than a power conditioner can fix...

• Like 1

Like tpg posted, it's probably a circuit that's taxed with too many connections. Most old houses are like that.

A friends house has the dryer tied in with the living room outlets somehow. When the dryer fires up, it sucks most the juice out of the TV's power supply, squishing the screen down to a inch. I haven't noticed that since she bought a new TV, so it may have been the old TV.

Maybe somehow the voltage and current dropped in the circuit killing the TV and receiver? I dunno.....

• 1 month later...