Bass horn ideas again. A possible build. Need criticism.

jwc

So far this has turned out to be a nice trick. If you have noticed, the flat surface I am working on is a 3/4" x 24" x 48" MDF panel with a sheet of 24" x 48" black formica.

The formica is glued onto the MDF.

Now I don't have a "shop" per se. I have one small work table that is sturdy. I just place this formica topped MDF on it an make sure it is "balanced" with a level.

Rubber nails and glue don't seem to stick to it and I can slide this heavy cabinet around pretty well w/o help.

There are a couple of steps that there are no place to place screws so you have to rely on a solid, flat surface. Then you use the grippers to clamp panels in place while there is a good amount of rubber nails.

post-16499-13819311040046_thumb.jpg

Nice photos, JWC. I wish I'd taken more. At the time I was in a creative fuge.

The whole home built Jubilee is a new subject. It is tough to gauge the value of little insights which may be of merit to anyone.

As an aside I note that the simple Valerie was called, the little so-and-so by the carpenters even though it looks simple. The issue was how to get the pieces in the correct position. And glue and screw with some precision.

JWC and I use different approaches (more below) One thing shared is the intermediate spacers. These are not show in the AES paper. But, they are logically there. The problem is that there is a board between the dog house and the outermost wall. It has to be postitioned. And, we want to avoid an unsupported panel which could resonate.

JWC and I, spaced them about 1/.3 from either end. Roy D. posted some photos of the factory units which are pretty much the same.

Back to the assembly issue. JWC and I took different appoaches. Not to say that one or the other is better. Naturally I don't pretend to speak for him, or be critical in any way.

I used the front face down approach as shown in The Caves.. This is following the K-Horn construction sequence from the SpeakerLab plan. Also, I put on the end plates early in the sequence.

OTOH, it looks like JWC is building with the thought that the end plates will be the last addition to the sequence.

= ==

My experience was that the end plates and the integrated, recessed, hatch covers were the most difficult part of the project.

===

Some day we may have a site devoted to building these wonderful bass units.

Best,

Gil

As you can see...I put some small wedges there as there was a 1 mm slight curve of that panel. This was noticed only at the very top of the panels. The middle sections where the braces are located line up perfectly. Again the braces keep it lined up right. If there was 4 braces there instead of 2, this wouldn't happen. But 4 braces is a lot. The little wedge does fine while the rubber nails dries.

Now as you can see there will be only one brace the next time I place a panel...right in the middle. I will probably have to do this little trick again...will see.

post-16499-13819311092396_thumb.jpg

I want to point out that the build is going almost exactly like my diagram on graph paper.

The below image is the back turn or Point C from the AES article. The area of the horn at Point C from the article was 0.075 sq m and the "calculated" horn was 0.081 sq m. In English, this is 116.25 sq in and 125.55 sq in.

The red line shows "Point C" in My Horn. This is 3 1/8 inch. The internal height of my cabinet is 37.5 inches. Therefore the area of the horn at point C is 117.1875 sq in.

post-16499-13819311098766_thumb.jpg

For the final flare...need two more nights and it will be done w/o the top and bottom. The is two more panels on each side.

You can see how it is about to rapidly flare after the final turn. In green is the measure after the back turn. It is 3 5/8. Once it gets to the mouth...it will be around 9 inches.

post-16499-13819311099516_thumb.jpg

I laid the cabinet down to place the final flares. I don't care for that method. The reason I like the stand up technique is that the very top and the bottom of a panel can be stabilized with something heavy sitting on top.

When face down, there is nothing on the ends to keep em lined up. Therefore I had to place the grippers at those joints to keep it right.

Oh well....will do the whole thing through next time upright (if there is a next time).

post-16499-13819311108416_thumb.jpg

Ok. So we are at the mouth. In the AES article Point D (at the mouth) is 0.232 sq m or 360 sq in.

The mouth on mine is 9 7/8 wide with an area of 370 sq in. I did this on purpose when I was laying this out on graph paper. The final angle became "nicer" for the table saw to make a tad bigger.

The depth of the cabinet is 24 inches. The largest width is 41 inches. The height without feet is 39 inches.

Now the lid and bottom may add a tad to the overall width.

jc

post-16499-13819311109946_thumb.jpg