Just bought Connoisseur T/T off Ebay

edwinr

I just won a Connoisseur BD2a turnable on ebay. The condition is mint for it's year. It's fitted with a Shure M97ED cartridge. There is absolutely no rumble or noise of any kind. The seller had the turntable since brand new. The build quality is outstanding and in it's day, this turntable would have been top shelf. I paid $120 Australian, which equates to around $US90.

post-15368-1381930470912_thumb.jpg

This table is a beauty. It's almost Linn Sondek LP12 in sound, and maybe it'll give these new midpriced Rega's a run for their money. I don't know whether the VPI Aries Scout has anything to worry about, but for the price... [8]

This table is a beauty. It's almost Linn Sondek LP12 in sound, and maybe it'll give these new midpriced Rega's a run for their money. I don't know whether the VPI Aries Scout has anything to worry about, but for the price... [8]

Ouch. You must have heard a poor running LP12 or I heard a poor running Connoisseur. I had one of these and it was about the level of my Dual 1229. Not even close to my Linn but it's not even fair to compare. Different cartridges and a whole different price league in the case of my Linn.

I like it though. Very good deal. I think I sold my Connoisseur for about twice that.

Ouch. You must have heard a poor running LP12 or I heard a poor running Connoisseur. I had one of these and it was about the level of my Dual 1229. Not even close to my Linn but it's not even fair to compare. Different cartridges and a whole different price league in the case of my Linn.

I like it though. Very good deal. I think I sold my Connoisseur for about twice that.

I'm taking the turntable in to my local dealer who stocks 2 x used LP12's plus an assortment of Regas and VPI's. I'm going to do a direct comparison between these turntables and mine. If the Connoisseur is as good as I think it is, I'll fit a new arm (Rega RB250 and cartridge). If it's not I'll trade it for another T/T - maybe the LP12 and fit the new arm to that turntable instead.

Nice find Edwin, I used to have one of those years ago. There's a few bargain TT's out there as people 'upgrade' to $30 DVD players that play CDs.

Here's some of my TT finds - most recent a Dual 1229Q with Shure M91ED, Thorens 125 Mk II with a Empire 400XL 1, a Bose (yes Bose!!) Model 360belt drive TT with a Audio Technica cartridge on it.

For all this stuff, I'm into it for $30 so far. Half the fun is finding the stuff. Have a Foster's for me. Slainte. Hamish

Thanks, Hamish. I like the sound of this turntable. But like anything, it could be improved. There are lots of turntable bargains at the moment. I'm looking at some Dual models myself. There's also a Garrard Zero 100 going on ebay that looks in good condition.

When I said it sounded like a Linn Sondek - I didn't mean it sounded better, just that it had a similar tonal quality. I've always liked the LP12. Properly setup, the LP12 is still probably the best value turntable in the world.

Well that brings back a few memories. I considered that very turntable back in the mid 70's when assembling my first system, As I recall, it was indeed a bit of a low torgue table, but one of those two 'faucet handles' is designed to actually push the platter when you start it - gives it a mechanical kick start to take the startup load off of the motor.

I bought a B&O 1900 instead. I was impressed by the total engineered integration of the entire chain from stylus to cartridge to arm to platter/table suspension, etc. Still my main table after 30 years. Because of the kickstart idea, even today I still spin the platter before engaging the motor - I think in the long run this is one of the best things you can do to ensure the longevity of a turntable...

Pauln