Anyone heard the Tangent T-5000(s)???

All the Tangent speakers I've heard reminded me very much of the KG lineup and the Heresy. More of a cross between the two actually...heritage sound in a KG package? I've not heard the 5000's though - but they seem to be a killer speaker. Definetly a rare item.

Another thing that makes these speakers attractive, there is not alot of market pressure driving up the price.

A few weeks ago there was an Ebay seller in central Tennessee who was asking $250 for a pair of Tangent 4000 in very good shape. I think the auction had to be listed at least twice before there was a buyer.

• 1 year later...

My friend who picked up a pair of Tangent 400s likes them a lot. $200. The Klipsch info says it they have a poly woofer, but list it the same as the HII, which is a K-24-K. I seem to recall Dennis saying that all those who wanted more bass out of the HII should look at the Tangent 400. Anyway, I knew he couldn't go wrong for the price.

Yeh. I sure would love to hear that sweetheart. Two or three years back I was imagining a project, never built, that would be a Heresy in an optimal cab. Dr.Who. ran some numbers and mentioned that the Tangent 400 had precisely correct dimensions to complement the K24.

Yeh. I sure would love to hear that sweetheart. Two or three years back I was imagining a project, never built, that would be a Heresy in an optimal cab. Dr.Who. ran some numbers and mentioned that the Tangent 400 had precisely correct dimensions to complement the K24.

What a coincidence, eh... [*-)]

• 2 months later...

Optimistic indeed.

That said, the big Tangent models are sleepers among vintage Klipsch models, IMO. They don't command the prices of Heritage.

Got a nice condition T-500, or Tangent 500 pair recently. Or, the more proper: Tangent By Klipsch label. They are a radical(?) forward leaning, tangential sounding array. I've been catching up on older discussions regarding various subjects. Read Heresy 2 x-over, Heresy components mostly match.I've borrowed some mutually agreed upon findings(language) from archive on subject, for posting my first impressions.

Passive 12 inch PR.......Taller than my Chorus....was trying to compare to a Forte instead of Heresy. Maybe do a Forte x-over? The *Dr. did the math for woofercab port for the T-400, which equals a 500's cabinet size/volume. PR on the 500 via a 12 inch drone. It's like you almost have to forget everything, you ever thought was right, or reject the whole idea. Or, accept it for what it is, (what is it?) adapt to the sound, and refrain from modding a Classic. Experiment: Let listener's say aloud, if speakers are spacing them...,...etc.

lol

• Like 2

I appreciate hearing your take on the Tangent 500. I never have heard them, but would like to. They are more forward sounding than Heresy II? I'd imagined that HII would be the predominant flavor, with better bass. I would imagine that an HII crossover might yield good results since the drivers are the same as HII.

• Like 1

I appreciate hearing your take on the Tangent 500. I never have heard them, but would like to. They are more forward sounding than Heresy II? I'd imagined that HII would be the predominant flavor, with better bass. I would imagine that an HII crossover might yield good results since the drivers are the same as HII.

Never heard the Heresys' or the Fortes' consciously. Only my Chorus can I compare with. I will try to look it up but past discussions here yielded where a member actually discovered an HII x-over in a T-500 or T-400. This could be the case, I will look some more.

I was saying that a Forte x-over may be more of a match given more in common size/shape. Past somewhat limited discussions here have some disliking or liking with some passion. May be too controversial to discuss. Or may be controversial enough for it's own thread. An advantage I may have is that I am only biased towards Chorus, at least for now.

• Like 2

You know, I probably need my x-over redone, or look to active x-over for the Chorus, but sounding good presently.

*Height *Horns/Driver (In Common with T-500)

Chorus - 39" N/A?

Forte - 35.4" KD-13 12"PR (Forte1& Quartet also) K-53K 90X40 Exp. Mid (HII)

Heresy- 21.4" K-24-K Poly Cone 12" Woofer, K-53-K 90X40 Exp. Mid, K-76-K 90X40 High (HII & Qt.)

T-500 - 40.5" K-24-K " " " " " " " KD-13 PR

Screwed that up royally but most in common with HII, then Forte 1 / Quartet. Just verifying height more in common with Chorus/Forte.

FWIW.............LOL!

• Like 2

• user_IsOffline.gifda0270
  • anonymous.gif
  • Not Ranked
  • Joined on Tue, Aug 22 2006
  • Austin, TX
  • Posts 1

Re: Tangent 400 crossover?

I have a pair of the Tangent 400 and 500 speakers (purchased off Craigslist), and two sets of Heresy II components (purchase off ebay). Both the 400's and 500's have a crossover circuit board installed on the termianl cup that are marked "Hersey II" on the boards. They have the same capacitor values as the actual Hersey II's. The inductors are not marked but I believe that they are also the same as the Heresy II. (which makes sense because they all used the K-76-K tweeter, K-53-K midrange driver on a K-701 horn, and the K-24-K woofer) The only real difference between the three models appears to be in the design of and the craftmanship used in making the box. The Tangent 400 is ported, the Tangent 500 incorporates a passive radiator

• Like 2

Oh, BTW, did I mention these T-500's sound pretty good! Listening to Roy Orbison to check different sounds! They seem to be able to fill a 20x20 room with decent volume.

Not having heard an Heresy or a Forte, I may be hearing a hybrid-like sound.

• Like 3