Lets build a cornwall clone

Guest " "

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bench vise is helpful as a stop lock to preset for multiple exact cuts.

Btw, the saw came with 8 rollers. I removed the rollers and put the 2 metal bars. The bars allows a better cut with less wood movement than what the rollers provided.

post-22082-13819304937968_thumb.jpg

So what's the plan?

You gonna bring the woofer up 6 inches?

Shorten the port?

What woofer?

What midhorn?

Are you building this for yourself? If so....I would strongly suggest the Cornscala. Listening to them now.

jc

Ok, here's the wood. We have 3 sheets of 3/4 inch 11 ply birch from home depot. We will add an additional panel made of 1/2 inch birch for the grills, this way you can remove the grills if you like. This birch has 2 grain patterns. A blonde side, and a darker lightly grained side. We will be using the blonde side. My 1980 unfinished birch LaScala's are blonde birch, and they look awesome.

post-22082-13819304939688_thumb.jpg

Will mark off the tops and side so when we assemble the cabs, the grain will flow in the correct matching direction. The bottom 16 inch horizontal section is scrap, with the exception of 2 pieces that will be used internally above the ports.

post-22082-13819304943488_thumb.jpg

We're ready to make the vertical cuts for th tops and sides. Blade will be rotated back into the vertical cutting position. In this position, the blade moves down on 2 tracks, the wood does not have to move. In the previous horizontal cutting position, the blade is locked into a cutting position, and the wood has to slide thru the cut.

post-22082-13819304948648_thumb.jpg

Time to make the bottom sections. There is enough wood on the scrap section to cut both the bottoms and the internal baffle abve the ports, so we will use that.

post-22082-13819304953848_thumb.jpg

jwcullison

Using the forum plans for a 3 port cornwall as well as a template that I have from an actual cornwall motorboard.

Standard lay out using 3 ports.

Yes, woofers will be rasied six inches.

Modern Xover poits will be used.

Woofer will be k-33

Mid will be k-55, on standard horn.

No, not building for myself. Building for another forum member using the forum plans. Slight modifications to fit into a shipping box.

When I get done with these, and get done with 2 LaScala refinsh projects, will start on Jubilee project.

now we are going to change the blade on the panel saw and do finishing trim cuts on all the peices.

We'll use the stop lock clamp to set all the vertical cuts, and then reset for all the horizontal cuts. All we will need to do is slide the wood in, and move the saw down the slidered.

Very little sanding will be needed once this blade passes over the rough cuts.

post-22082-13819304957368_thumb.jpg

All vertical cuts get trimmed with the fine cutting blade. Notice the clamp stop. This makes all cuts the same lenth. We just move the wood into position.

post-22082-13819304959068_thumb.jpg

All vertical cuts get trimmed with the fine cutting blade. Notice the clamp stop. This makes all cuts the same lenth. We just move the wood into position.

post-22082-13819304960828_thumb.jpg

Ready to do an intial assembly of cabinet B. Only a small amount of glue is needed. We will put in 1X2 bracing on all corners as well as the fronts and backs later.

post-22082-13819304966428_thumb.jpg