Lets build a cornwall clone

Guest " "

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Amazing.

I have always liked the sound of cornwalls. The bass is very crisp, and transparent, digs very deep. Mids and highs are detailed and clean. A very relaxing speaker system to listen too.

There is no scheme, the one on the left is completed, the one on the right shows in-progress with some screws remaining to be put in.

The wood is 3/4 of an inch thick. There is a 1/8 thick by 1 inch wide foam seal that needs compressing. About 1 screw every 4 - 6 inches compresses the seal evenly.

I keep coming back to the pictures of the driver motorboards. It appears you had a difficult time getting the woofer hole cut out smoothly. Any ideas on different tools to smooth the hole? Mount the flange of the woofer on the outside to hide the hole?

looks like a good router would help. my long-distance cuttin' buddy did the woofer cutout and roundover of vents on this box that way. I'm ok with a jigsaw but need a far better jigsaw than $5 used skil. cardboard on the side was to slide it down a ramp for testing in the yard. supposely a piece of heavy foam weather-stripping tape placed down the JBL's pole-piece vent to adhere to rear of aluminum dustcap will be best way to tame that type of dustcap. I get nervous with funky cabs and threw away a pair of K15 a dude built- did worse job than myself - ugh.

Posted Image

I keep coming back to the pictures of the driver motorboards. It appears you had a difficult time getting the woofer hole cut out smoothly. Any ideas on different tools to smooth the hole? Mount the flange of the woofer on the outside to hide the hole?

A CNC router is the ticket for that.

Bob

post-9312-13819307852582_thumb.jpg

A CNC router is the ticket for that. Bob

Or for us economically challenged folks, a circle jig.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=365-250

rcarlton

It was acutally pretty easy free hand using a roto tool.

You could probally get fancy and have boards cut at your local CNC cutter guy for a couple hundred bucks. Sound will be the same.

PWK has been quoted as saying it does not make a diff if mounted on the inside or outside.