Just in case you forgot how bad he really was, vol. 4

Allan Songer

Excellent stuff Allan! I will have to pick a copy of this up and I have listened to some of the other choices you have put out on Thebes "Right This Minute" thread and I really like a lot of your music[;)]

I once watched an old Danny Kay movie where he had several blues/jazz players performing in the movie however I don't recall the movie or the players but I do remember how good the music was and I guess I need to start googling so I can find out if I can buy any of that music and artist.

I appreciate your contributions and look forward to hearing more[:D]

I once watched an old Danny Kay movie where he had several swing/jazz players performing in the movie however I don't recall the movie or the players but I do remember how good the music was and I guess I need to start googling so I can find out if I can buy any of that music and artist.

Danny Kaye was in two movies like this, "The Five Pennies" (live of Red Nichols) with Louis Armstrong and "A Song is Born", 1948 with Virginia Mayo, Benny Goodman, Tommy Dorsey, Louis Armstrong, Lionel Hampton, Charlie Barnett, Mel Powell, Buck and the Bubbles, Page Cavaughan and the Samba Kings. I have watched both of them many times over the years. The first one is rather sappy at times, but Sachmo is worth the price of admission. The second is quite unbelievable, but good music non the less.

This is the only video of Smith I've seen that shows the dexterity of his footwork--sure it's from a side angle and far away, but look at him FLY!

Remember, in a B3 organ trio where the player is an organist and not just a keyboard player, the bass lines are played with the FEET. I am ever impressed when I see and hear a master like Jimmy Smith do this with such a deft touch.

Yep, I love this clip. You probably recognize that it's on the same set as Stan Getz, Astrud Gilberto performing Girl From Ipanema, from the movie Get Yourself A College Girl. Jimmy and footwork were still in prime in '64. .

Speaking of which, have you heard of

?

that was your segue to say she ain't no Jimmy Smith, but she strikes me as a different cat from the likes of Diana Krall or Patricia Barber. . maybe she started out in the Jimmy Smith mold and found her own voice. she was born in '64 in Germany.

Those long fingers fairly dance on the keys, but his toe-tapping staccato footwork really jams. Notice how often he looks over his shoulder during the first section, he doens't even have to hardly engage his brain until the tough bits later on!

Ok, I've got the Sermon, name some other Jimmy Smith to groove to. I'm a big B2 fan, Jon Lord of DP and Wakeman are two of my favorite rock organists, along with Goldy McJohn of Steppenwolf.

MIchael

Love that footwork!

I spent many an idle hour whiling away my confinement at military school listening to Jimmy Smith albums. My roomie had a stack of them as well as a stack of Marantz tube gear. Heady stuff for a dorm room.

• 5 weeks later...