SETs vs old SS � Listening experiments

pauln

Thanks, Coda. I missed that teenie, tiny, little detail. [:$]

This might make MadMax entirely right. That is you can get quite a bit out of 20 watts, but not enough for me. Not that I listen to ear-bleeding levels consistently, but I do like to abuse the system from time to time for 10-15 minutes or so.

Where I think I missed out some was when I compared tubes to SS, I was comparing at "very loud"/"too damn loud volumes." Had I taken the time to evaluate at far more moderate volumes, I might have had a chance to hear this "liquid" sound everyone describes.

"very loud"/"too damn loud volumes." Had I taken the time to evaluate at far more moderate volumes, I might have had a chance to hear this "liquid" sound everyone describes."

At "very loud / too damn loud" all the liquid sound boils off.

I can't listen too loud even when I go to clubs I buy ear plugs. At the Hope gathering this year after five minutes of very very loud I had to leave the room as I wanted my hearing intact and prolonged listening at those high spl will cause damage. I couldn't believe people could actually stay in the room. It just goes to prove that different people want different things from their systems .. to each his own.

................[:)]...........

What ...???

yer saving yer Hearing .... for your old age ...??

I have a friend that has been using headphones for the last 10 years doing his own mixes or mashups or whatever they are calling them nowadays and his ears are shot. He says "Huh" alot : (

My dad spent alot of time in industrail machine shop inviroments and his hearing was shot before it should have been.

Yes I want to hear the sweet soft clipping of SET amps and klipsch for a long time. .....thought you would like that.

• 8 years later...

Not looking to start anything here, but can You really give a fair test of SET vs. SS if your main listening set-up is SET? Wouldn't a more fair test be with someone with a musical background, and not a HI-FI buff, or collector, that doesn't know about SET, or could care less what SS unit you are using................No axe to grind, straight down the middle, no pre-formed opinions? or Maybe Average Joe Working Guy who just wants to turn on the stereo and listen, who thinks a Mod is a T.V. show with Bea Arthur.............there are a bunch of different Camps on this forum, different views, and different needs, and different ideas of what music is supposed to sound like.................Can You Really be 100% fair and open on your views?????..........................Just Asking....................

I think I can give more of an answer here, as I just purchased my 1st tube amp,which is a little 10 watt per channel Chinese entry level unit. I have also only used AVR's and not used separate external amps to power my speakers, so I am an ordinary Joe. Nor do I have extravagant set ups even now.

What I will say on MY END is that I do definitely hear a difference in the sound stage/quality. Tubes definitely don't have the lows or even highs SS does, but SS don't have the sound stage of different instruments in different spots in the listening area. I can almost see where the musicians are with certain music within t5he soundstage, and SS is more of a wider stage but almost like a flat window pane in front of me,so I can't get that 3d sound effect, so I don't hear where the instruments are playing from in the soundstage,if that makes sense. The tubes are nice for instruments and voice and more mids to my ear than SS are, but SS has a better boom and crispness to it,again to me.

I definitely prefer the sound of tubes with certain music over SS,and vice versa. Club music,heavy metal types where there's more than 100 beats per minute sound better with SS, and laid back Classic Rock, RnB types sound better with tubes in my opinion.