Your thoughts on Tube setup

PhilMays

Others have mentioned it and I'll jump on the bandwagon. I think I have a total of around $600 invested in my Scott 299A. I had a Jolida 202 and loved it but actually think the Scott beats it in overall sound, especially bass. A great used CD player can be had for around $400 (arguably even less) keeping you under the $1,000 marker. The Scott's have a phono stage making TT an easy add-on.

Married with RF-3s this should produce a system that is unbeatable for the money. Beyond that, it almost becomes a Six Sigma game of pouring loads of money into a system for only fractional gains in perfomance.

• Like 1

Others have mentioned it and I'll jump on the

bandwagon. I think I have a total of around $600 invested in my

Scott 299A. I had a Jolida 202 and loved it but actually think

the Scott beats it in overall sound, especially bass.

A great used CD player can be had for around $400 (arguably even

less) keeping you under the $1,000 marker. The Scott's have a

phono stage making TT an easy add-on.

Married with RF-3s this should produce a system that is unbeatable

for the money. Beyond that, it almost becomes a Six Sigma game of

pouring loads of money into a system for only fractional gains in

perfomance.

I cannot remmeber seeing a new tube integrated for under 1000 usd that has an active line stage.

The vintage integrateds are way ahead in that respect.

Well hopefully Craig is not watching, but I still have my Pas3 running with a pair of Mark IV's and I like the darn thing. You can get a good one for around $300.00. Leaving $700.00 for a Mc240, or a nice pair of Mark III's. This will really make the bass sound right and give you plenty of volume. I have tryed the Dynaco ST40/Pas3, Mc240/Pas3/MX110.

Still running; Mark IV's/Pas3, Scott299, MC402/Merlin. For tubes I like the Mc240/Pas3 the best...all run through the CW's.

If you change your mind on price I would be willing to sell any of the tube riggs. However straight cost plus Nosvalves rebuild puts all of them but the 299 over your budget.