Your thoughts on Tube setup

PhilMays

Hi Guys,

I am thinking about setting up a seperate two channel, music only, system.

My thoughts are:

Tube amp, turntable, cd player. I will, for now, use RF-3II's as they will be coming off my theater soon enough.

I do not want to spend a ton of money on this right now (ha). Any thoughts at a budget or equipment reccomendations?

Thanks

Phil

Usually the best thing to do is send Craig an email and see what he has sitting around his shop. Whatever he has, you can be assured it'll sound great by the time it gets to you.

I second Bill's recommendation for the Scott 299 series or something similiar.

Hi Guys,

I am thinking about setting up a seperate two channel, music only, system.

My thoughts are:

Tube amp, turntable, cd player. I will, for now, use RF-3II's as they will be coming off my theater soon enough.

I do not want to spend a ton of money on this right now (ha). Any thoughts at a budget or equipment reccomendations?

Thanks

My personal advice.

First and foremost, buy "used". this way you can unload it for little or no financial lost. Vintage is a good way of doing it. Integrated is the least expensive, although I think in most cases seprates is superior. For TT. I personally prefer high mass and something with the motor seperate from the plinth. For your digital front end--See if you can afford something with SACD, DVD audio capailities-You might like that sound.

Good luck and enjoy the journey. That's half the fun.[;)]

I wouls also suggest the same...check into used...BUT make sure it is someone you trust...MANY members here will steer you to safe harbors for a great Tube amp or integrated...I picked up an EICO HF-81 (when will he stop gushing over that EICO?) from Daddy Dee here...he got it from member Dr Bill...you see how we take care of each other...I also second asking Craig NOSValves also a member here as he will have something in the shop or know what to do with what you might be interested in...'course then he also makes his custom VRDs that are very sweet indeed...as for preamps if you go the pre and amp route instead of integrated...JuicyMusicAudio/Mark Deneen also a member here makes and sells thes and they are juicy sweet too...ask or check around her and I'd bet you'll find a nice Tube amp or integrated (Tigerkhorns had a Peach and some stuff for sale) and members here usually sell at a discount to other members.

Good luck and once bitten by the Tubes and Horns, there is no turning back...I was where you are in January...I have the EICO, VRDs and BlueBerry MkI all from members here!

Bill

Very sweet.

I was thinking in the $1,000 range for the pre and amp and perhaps 50% to 75% of that on a turntable.

I understand that a tube amp does not need as much power as SS. After more consideration I may not use the RF-3's in this system, instead getting some heratage stuff (I have bid many times on ebay and lost every one). Now with a seperate 2 chanel system I may become more serious in how I bid.

Is this reasonable?

I really know nothing about tube seperates but am finding that the more I am on the forum it seems that people really have a sweet spot for these systems.

Again, thanks!

Phil

Phil, your budget is reasonable ... and buying used is a good way to go because you may go through various iterations before getting what really appeals to your ear (push-pull vs SET, etc.).

An integrated tube amp like the Scott 299B will have lots of growl in the low end, plus it has a nice phono stage built in. A nice Music Hall TT (MM5 or MMF7) can be had on the used market too for $300 to $500 (be careful buying TT's used; they're fragile and may have been wailed on).

Heritage sounds great with tubes. I have a pair of Cornwalls hooked up in the "Man Cave" with SET amps and a Njoe Tjoeb CD4000 and the sound is extraordinary.

Chris

Very sweet.

I was thinking in the $1,000 range for the pre and amp and perhaps 50% to 75% of that on a turntable.

I understand that a tube amp does not need as much power as

SS. After more consideration I may not use the RF-3's in this

system, instead getting some heratage stuff (I have bid many

times on ebay and lost every one). Now with a seperate 2

chanel system I may become more serious in how I bid.

Is this reasonable?

I really know nothing about tube seperates but am finding that the

more I am on the forum it seems that people really have a sweet spot

for these systems.

Again, thanks!

Phil

Not sure about the Merlin Price right now but paired with a vintage power amp is a good entry level of tubes to evaluate.

Here is a Fisher power amp that could be sent to NOS Valves for a tune

up. http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?ampstube&1158505715

A Dynaco

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cl.pl?ampstube&1158266215

A used MMF-5 turntable is a very good buy for around $ 350 or maybe less.

An MSB LINK 2 or 3 DAC used with any garden variety CD or DVD player

with digital ouput generally outperforms a $ 400-600 new player. Very

clear on cymbals and female voices where jitter on digital really turns

me off.

You should have great fun with this endeavor.

CAn a capacitor upgrade help the RF-3? Only Dean knows...

Phil wantsa turntable and wants to keep the budget to $1,000 for pre and amp. That rules out Juicymusic as teh Blueberry is teh only one that fits teh bill and it is way out of the price range (abotu $500 for a pre).

Have NOS valves build you a Scott or Eico integrated. Cant go wrong. Its about 1/2 or your budget and you can get most or all of your money back out when you upgrade (you will upgrade, just accept it). If you want to move way out of your price range, you can do a lot better, but you may not be comfortable with that right now.

I have a Dyna SCA 35 (17 wpc) that is mint and a good candidate for a rebuild, but there are other more expensive units that are more powerful. Talk to Craig, he will steer you in the right direction for what you are looking for.

I just checked out the amos that were reccommended. My Dyna is teh same as the Dynaco 17.5 wpc amp but is an integrated amp with a built in phono stage that accepts low output MC as well as MM.

I'm feeling gererous, $150 plus shipping. I'll post a pic. (Please don't offer less, I've been putting items up for sale and have been ignoring low ball offers as everything is selling for asking price because I am pricing things at good prices).

Chris

I just checked out the amos that were

reccommended. My Dyna is teh same as the Dynaco 17.5 wpc amp but

is an integrated amp with a built in phono stage that accepts low

output MC as well as MM.

I'm feeling gererous, $150 plus

shipping. I'll post a pic. (Please don't offer less, I've

been putting items up for sale and have been ignoring low ball offers

as everything is selling for asking price because I am pricing things

at good prices).

Chris

A very viable option!

Cayin has been mentioned above - good amps, but I'd go vintage. I had a 300B integrated and when I got my Eico HF-81, the Cayin was sold in no time [:D].

I have no experience with Dynacos, but I remember an Internet conversation with a very knowledgable gentleman who had a lot of positive things to say about that little Dyna amp - I think he used to drive Cornwalls with it and later Heresys.

Wolfram

Bill,

yep...looks like it. I got mine at the time when MH promoted this little amp quite a bit....so many moons ago. Today it's used in my second rig together with Heresys...in what's also my 'study'. Thus watching DVDs (music and movies) is really a lot of fun...often more than working [:D].

Wolfram