TT lighting

colterphoto1

It's DARK in here!

I have the Thorens situated about chest high on my Bello rack. It has glass shelves fixed at about 12.5", and with the turntable taking up 3-4 of that, with the handball/granite sandwich taking another 3" or so, doens't leave room for a dust cover.

Never mind that, but how on earth do you guys light the area so you can see the grooves, where to set the stylus?

I'm thinking one of those little gooseneck lamps like I used to use on mixing consoles would be great if I could find one which would gently clamp mount to the glass shelf above or something similar.

Or are there any other ideas from the house?

M

The gooseneck sounds right to me, too, though it sure shows dust on the record at low angles.

I strongly second the lighted magnifying glass. I found an ACE Hardware item for only $7.00 that has the right combo of greater than 2 power (probably about 3-4X) and a focal length that's just right for looking at cantilever alignment. The common 2-power items just aren't quite powerful enough for me.

There are other illuminated maginfiers, but I don't recommend one that's meant to be put directly on printed pages & stamps. These have a very short focal length and make you get too close, which can bump the tonearm out of your alignment, and possibly damage things if you're trying to magnify the stylus.

lc

My room is very dark. Black and dark red walls with little lighting. I find that I actually enjoy music more now that I listen to entire album sides. With a CD or digital music library it was too easy to skip around from The Dead Kennedys, to James Taylor to Iggy Popp then over to The Cure....

Just drop the needle on the first track (you can't miss that even in the dark) and listen to an entire side. Problem solved![:D]

It's DARK in here!

I have the Thorens situated about chest high on my Bello rack. It has glass shelves fixed at about 12.5", and with the turntable taking up 3-4 of that, with the handball/granite sandwich taking another 3" or so, doens't leave room for a dust cover.

Never mind that, but how on earth do you guys light the area so you can see the grooves, where to set the stylus?

I'm thinking one of those little gooseneck lamps like I used to use on mixing consoles would be great if I could find one which would gently clamp mount to the glass shelf above or something similar.

Or are there any other ideas from the house?

M

Michael,

You did not state the height of the Bello rack. Generally speaking, the TT would be located on the top shelf of a rack of reasonable height. If that's not possible, consider some other location that provides better "all around" access. You may want to consider stepping back a bit to get more perspective and then develop a "plan" on how to better incorporate the turntable into your system. A plan would address not only availability of light, but also easy unencumbered access to the turntable and it's operation. Cramped/close quarters is a recipe for a future disaster.

Klipsch out.

The Bell-O rack is 6' tall overall and holds all my components remarkably well. The shelves are very sturdy as is the welded steel frame. Whole thing is probably 200 pounds empty!

Having further problems with the Thorens so everything is on hold. I'm playing CD's right now.

M

The Bell-O rack is 6' tall overall and holds all my components remarkably well. The shelves are very sturdy as is the welded steel frame. Whole thing is probably 200 pounds empty!

Having further problems with the Thorens so everything is on hold. I'm playing CD's right now.

M

Michael,

Unfortunately, the Bello tower racks are designed toward components operated with face mounted controls (cd or dvd players, receivers, etc), and not designed with a turntable in mind.

Klipsch out.