New Belles

whatever55

Here are some impressions of the Belle Klipsch sound compared to the La Scala. We have a fairly new Belle as a center channel between two Klipschorns, and I've heard many La Scalas, but never in a side by side comparison, so all comparisons with La Scala will be from memory. Nor have I heard the new 2006 La Scala. Here's my take:

1) The two sound pretty much alike, as was intended by PWK.

2) The bass about the same, on balance ... neither one goes down into the sub-basement, but you should get the impression of good, dynamic, percussive bass. If you aren't getting enough bass, try putting the Belles into the room corners.

3) La Scala may have a slightly more articulate midrange (same driver, but the horn is a little longer).

4) In my casual comparisons, the Belle may be a bit more gentle and forgiving, and conceivably better balanced -- a dealer told me that PWK "toned down" the Belle, just a bit. The usual tradeoff is there; with marvelously clean, well balanced recordings, the La Scala may sound a little clearer and more "present," but with harsh or flawed recordings, I have often heard the La Scala sound too harsh. I've never caught the Belle sounding harsh. I have heard several musicians (using their own first generation analog tapes) praise the La Scala.

4) I measured the Belle's frequency response, and (in my room) there is a peak at 60 Hz, and a decline in bass below that. The treble is pretty smooth, with no significant decline or droop out to 16,500 Hz. The Belle does not sound as "forward," or as open & airy as my Klipschorns (same room), and, of course, the Klipschorns have more bass. BUT, Belles are much more forward, open, and airy, than most speakers, and sound more "live" and have much more authority than my Heresy II surrounds (same room). Belle's are capable of playing much louder than most speakers, and they are clean.

My question is how much different do the LaScala's sound ... more bass??

One fellow with much experience who used to post here A-B'ed the Belle Klipsch and La Scala repeatedly for a long period of time and could detect no difference in the sound whatsoever.

You should take most comparisons skeptically because few people have A-B'ed them directly with the same amplification in the same room.

Tube amps?? Wide selection. People here will ask you what type of music you listen to and how loud you like it and so fort. IMHO SET amp has the best mids. It can go very loud as well, if that's what you like.

I would suggets that you test drive a few before you spend your $. See if a high end shop will let you demo their amps. This way, you'll know exactly what best soothes your needs. Ask the dealer where you got your Belles from if you can take home some of their tube amps for a demo.

I have A/B'd Belles and LaScalas side by side at local dealer many years ago . You have to give the LaScalas a slight edge in output and it was noticable . Personaly at the time I prefered the Belles because they were slightly less forward . In the looks department there is NO COMPARISON especialy when you see them side by side .

Now 25 years later ; my ears aren't in the same condition as they were then , I would be hard pressed to tell the difference in sound .

Belles are also easier to customize and easier to place in your home .

One more.... what would be a good tube amp for these

SET would be a horrible choice, especially if you are new to tubes. Do yourself a favor and just strike anything of SET topology off your list of potentials.

How about a nice SS amp that you can leave on 24/7 and not have to worry about or need to tinker with ?