3 EXOTIC HI-END SYSTEMS (do enlarge photos inside)

skaloumbakas

Hello everyone,

Take a look at this Exotic Hi-End gear (DO ENLARGE PHOTOS):

http://aca.gr/pop_jyk.htm (jyk.bol.10@wanadoo.fr)

8-way horn/dynamic custom made system (using Fertin or Altec woofers, ALE drivers, horns and TAD super tweeters) driven by:

<3 x 2 Gryphon Solo mono blocks (20-400Hz)> + <5 x 2 Cary CAD 1610 SE mono blocks (400-40,000Hz), (testing now 6 x Accuphase A50)>. Rest of system: CD Transport: Esoteric P0, upsampler: DCS 972+Master Clock 992, room corrector: TacT RCS 2.0, Digital preamplifier: Accuphase DC330, digital crossovers: 2 x Accuphase DF 35, interconnects - sp. cables: Custom SCSI flat ribbon cables with silver conductors & teflon insulators, power install: 40 Kva self transform; 3 x waveform conditioners MGS; 2 x PS Audio P600 for digital devices; 4 x Accuphase PS1200 for tube amps, power cords: Shunyata King Cobras V2 for all

http://aca.gr/pop_whittaker.htm (bwhitte@nznet.gen.nz)

Acoustat ESL Model 6, Wharfedale Airedales, 2x16" Redford woofers (Australian), 1x24" Hartley woofer. driven by:

Antique Sound Lab AQ1002 (in triode), Perreaux 2150B, Quad 22 mono blocks. Rest of system: Turntable: Aura, selfmade, Arms: 2 from Kenwood LO-7D t/t, 1 x balsa wood unipivot, Cartridges: Transfiguration, Ortophon MC3000, Stanton MC-100, CD transport/DAC: Meridian 208/203, Phono/Line Preamp: Audio Research PH-2/SP-6, interconnects & speaker Cables: Data transmission

http://aca.gr/pop_skal.htm (skal@aca.gr)

Genesis 300/301 speakers (new mid ribbon) driven by:

JRDG model 8T amp., JRDG consummate preamp., DACT CT100 phono module, Wadia 8/15 digital combo(updated with ClockLink), a.a.s. Gabriel turntable w/ Souther TQi linear arm (heavily modified), insider "reference wood" cartridge, "Dara custom silver" interconnects & speaker cables

They are all included in http://aca.gr/

the official web-site of Audiophile Club of Athens

Christos Skaloumbakas

A.C.A. President

Club's e-mail: aca@aca.gr

So I take it that Athens is where audiophiles retire to after they win the lottery....?

------------------

LSU PAINTBALL- We'll cover you with our balls!

Paintball players do it 'till their balls break!

1 Pair KLF-30's

Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 Pre-amp

Carver TFM-45 Amp

Teac AD-4 CD Player

***Needed VPI HW Series Turntable*** Anybody Sellin'?

Christos,

I believe what "klipschhog" was trying to say was more along the lines of:

"My goodness! I've never seen such combinations of high quality audio equipment and beautiful interior decoration so well presented before! Those installations certainly look as if they cost quite a bit of money - perhaps successful business people who happen to be audiophiles have selected Athens as the ideal location to settle down after they retire?"

Ray

Wow.

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Thanks Ray,

because I started to feel a bit guilty about my efforts to gather in http://aca.gr many wonderful systems around the world.

Have a look at this one now, found in the world systems directory page:

http://aca.gr/system_world.htm

"....Roberto Delle Curti, Royal Device designer in royaldevice.com/, reveals how it has been possible to make The BIGGEST SPEAKER in the WORLD for the GREATEST AUDIO ROOM in the WORLD. The two frontal speakers are made of 8 LAURA speakers per channel with a total of 16 floorstanding loudspeakers (click for another view). Together with The NO-CROSSOVER choice makes a BIG MONOWAY speaker that reproduces frequencies from 30 to 6-7 Khz. The range from 10 to 30 Hz is reinforced by the BIGGEST HORN SUBWOOFER of the WORLD (click for top view) while the HIGH FREQUENCY range is integrated by the exclusive wood RD-HORN with no use of ANY FRONTAL PHASER. Total system sensitivity is 110 dB/1 Watt/1 meter with sound levels (6 meters) much higher than live concert pressure levels without distorsion........"

Enjoy the music

Christos Skaloumbakas

A.C.A. President

http://aca.gr/pop_skal.htm

skal@aca.gr

I second that wow, with an added droooooooool. I especially like the first setup.

------------------

Denon AVR-2800

KG-4 mains (too bad the rest of my speakers aren't this good)

Polk C-175 center (it's ok)

Infinity RS-10 Surrounds (suck)

Audiosource SW-15 subwoofer (excellent sub for it's price)

Pioneer DV333 DVD

Sony 5 disc CD player

All in a 12x12 apartment bedroom.

"What?! I can't hear you!"

Nice systems,good components.Well the first system must bring world class performance. Smile.gif The third is no slouch either.All are A ok.

I should be there in a few years...a few long years.

My dream(ideal)system would go like this...

Egglestonworks Ivy speakers

CEC T0 CD transport

Cello Reference DAC

BAT VK-50SE(a bargain compared to the other pieces here)

Krell MRS monoblocks

Transparent reference cables and interconects

PS Audio line conditioners

...all in a sound treated 20*30 room.

Smile.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

It's definately an elitist, gentlemans hobby! Anyone that will spend $20,000 and up on two speakers has too much money or too few brains. Am I jealous ? Sure I am.

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

HK AVR 510 (reciever - Going back soon!)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Sony KV 27V55 (9 year old 27" TV)

Albany.gif

BigBusa,

uh, Why do you feel that way? If I'm a successful businessman, and I have the disposable income to play around with my hobby(ies) and have fun, what difference does it make whether I decide to drop, say, $150,000 a year on an SCCA class A or B car and go racing locally, or buy a 45 year old wooden sloop and go sailing in the Caribean with my family (cost uncalculateable due to boat's ability to drain all available funds regardless of available supply), or buy a pair of $65,000 JMLabs Grand Utopia speakers and a pair of $59,000 Boulder amps to drive them, or spend $235,000 on a Micco SP26 sports aircraft and fly aerobatics? Why is spending money on fun stereo components a bad thing?

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

I think spending excessive amounts of money on a pair of speakers is overkill and to me, amounts to nothing more than "my speakers cost way more than yours do". The sound of a pair of $65K speakers cannot possibly be $58K better than a pair of Khorns. Is it really all about sound quaility at this $level$ or is it something else altogether?

If someone dropped 150k on a car to go racing and then made up a webpage with their headshot, pictures of the tranny, the engine and interior etc. etc. that they did nothing more than pay way to much for and a profile of how they got into racing when they were 12 years old because their daddy gave them a porsche I'd think the same thing ... Rolleyes.gif

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Albany.gif

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 11-15-2001 at 12:54 PM

My own feeling is that unless we have walked in their shoes, we are unqualified to comment Smile.gif. These Greek gentlemen may or may not be wealthy (just as with other members of this board). Either way, they've chosen to invest their money in this hobby. Assuming they have already taken care of more important priorities (such as family, church (if applicable), etc...), I say "spend away, and more power to ya!!"

Just my .02, of course, with no intent to disparage...Smile.gifSmile.gif

Doug

BigBusa,

An "excessive amount" of money is relative. If you asked the "average" person, I would bet everyone who posts to this board has invested an "excessive amount" of money in this hobby. Klipschorns (even used) would be considered wildly extravagant by most. And I wouldn't waste any time being jealous. Unless you are Bill Gates (who I think is the richest man in the world?) the rest of us all have someone who makes more than us and can afford "better" toys.

I personally appreciate anyone who spends the money to support the "high end" of any product. Eventually, it all trickles down to the rest of us. Things such as TV's and refrigerators used to be considered extravagances by many of our grandparents.

Just my 2 cents.

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

BigBusa,

I still think you're missing the point. I'm the CTO of an Internet company. Right now, that's not a particulary good thing to be, given the complete implosion of the dot coms and the total evaporation of available capital over the past 18 months, put let's say for sake of argument that I'd gotten in here about 2 years earlier, had timed everything perfectly, and my company had gone through an IPO resulting in my having, say, $7 to $8 million of suddenly available disposable income (or possibly substantially more). This happened to a VERY large number of people from mid 1999 through early spring 2000.

So, given that I have the cash available, suppose I think that a pair of $100,000 speakers sounds a little bit better than a pair of $6,000 speakers. Not twice as good, but enough better that I like them better. Wouldn't it be silly not to get the speakers I like better? The difference between 100K and 6K, to a lot of people, is like the difference between a $40 dinner out and a $2 big mac to a college student... you wouldn't want to spend the $40 on dinner every night, but every once in a while it's fun to go to a nicer restaurant with your potential future significant other.

I mean, what the hell is the point of working hard and trying to make a good living for yourself and your family if you're not willing to take advantage of the opportunities life presents you with when you're in the position where you CAN take advantage of them?

I'm sitting here in front of a 20" Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2020u, which I run at 1800 by 1440 resolution. It cost, like, 10 times as much as a pretty good 17" monitor. Should I have stuck with the 17" because is was a "better" bargin, measured in terms of resolution per dollar spent or diagonal screen inches per dollar spent? No, absolutely not. I really enjoy working with this larger screen.

Is any of this getting through?

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Ray, It's getting through but I still don't fully agree with you. IMO spending $65K on a pair of speakers isn't about sound quality anymore. It's all about extravagance, exclusivity, one-up-man-ship and how much more money can I spend than the other guy.

I assume I would do some of the same things if I suddenly hit the lottery. But if I put a big smiling headshot of me on my home theater page please slap me silly. Smile.gif Until then I'll continue to broadcast from here.

Oh and I'm sitting in front of a 21" mitsubishi diamond pro 91txm that I bought factory renewed for $129. cwm32.gif

------------------

My system thus far:

1980 Cornwalls (mains)

1990 Heresy II's (rears)

2001 KLF-C7 (center)

2001 KSW15 (Subwoofer)

Kenwood DV402 (DVD)

Albany.gif

This message has been edited by BigBusa on 11-15-2001 at 03:46 PM

Well, not having a pair of $65,000 speakers handy to compare against my La Scalas, I can't really add any more...

Tell ya what. As soon as I **DO** get (at least one) pair of $65,000 speakers, I'll invite you over to listen, and we can settle this properly.

I'm almost afraid to mention the $73,750 turntable reviewed a few months back in Stereophile by Michael Fremer...

http://www.stereophile.com/fullarchives.cgi?258

Ray

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

Ray's Music System

Busa,

Just for the record, I think the Genesis 300's went for $28,000 new. There is a pair for sale right now on AudiogoN, where the seller is asking $8000 for them. Not much more than a new pair of Klipschorns. I would have to think that most of these guys are buying used, just like the rest of us...

Mike

------------------

My Music Systems

Ray,

Yes yyou found the Rockport turntable! This is a real masterpiece for those who have immense bank accounts and huge record collections.

I have this issue of Stereophile,I was drooling over the pages. Smile.gif All I can say is WOW,over 70 grand US for a turntable!!!! cwm3.gif

This could be called the best turntable in the world,its not just mumbo jumbo.The designer did not cut any corners with this design.

I can think now of the moving coil cartridge one will buy to start doing justice.

ClearAudio Insider Reference or maybe a Benz Micro or a Grado Reference may fit the bill.Sumiko makes some worthy units too.

WOW this turntable belongs to the very few all out audio products.As do the Audio Research Reference monoblocks,Dynaudio Evidence,Egglestonworks Ivy and the Krell Master Reference amplifier (or MRA).Linn could fit there too with the Sondek CD12 CD player.

TheEAR(s) Nwo theears

Hello and thanks for the interest for this post.

I think we are all missing the point here.

When I opened this post I emphasised (enlarge photos inside)

I should 've said study the photos.

I can not speak for the other 2 gentlemen but please enlarge the photo that has been taken from above (I am speaking about my Genesis 300/301 based system at http://aca.gr/pop_skal.htm ) which shows the 1/3-1/3-1/3 ratio deviding the room in 3 equals between back wall, speaker, hot spot, behind wall.

Also look at the photo showing the tilted roof (no parallel walls that is)

Can this set-up and the music reproduction I am experiencing (my humble opinion) be translated into dollars (or euro or yen).

Allow me to advise you not to spend anything on hifi harware unless you know where to put it and how to put it. As I mention in another post, there are people out there spending more on equipment than on their listening room itself!!. ENVIRONMENT is the NO 1 ISSUE in getting REALISM from your music reproduction.

And another point I want to mention if I may.

If we feel we have the experience to comment, we never refer to money in absolute terms but in terms of value for money I would say MUSIC VALUE FOR MONEY.

Have a good day to all.

Christos Skaloumbakas

A.C.A. President

Club's web: http://aca.gr

Club's e-mail: aca@aca.gr

This message has been edited by skaloumbakas on 11-16-2001 at 01:59 AM

Oh to dream...

1-pair Wilson Grand Slams

1-pair Boulder 2050 Monoblocks

1-pair VTL Ref MB-1250's

1-Sonic Frontiers Line-3

1-Accuphase DP-100 & DC-101 sacd/cd combo

1-Linn Sondeck Cd-12

1-Rockport Tech. System III Sirius w/ Grado Statement or/and Van den Hul grasshopper

1-Sonic Frontiers Phono One

Tara Labs Zero cables and speaker wire,Kimber select up top, Lots o'$$$$ in a/c line conditioning, room treatments, Custom a/v racks, etc..

All in a 20X30 room in a (my) mansion in Athens

Oh well ... Gotta wake up now

'Da Hog

------------------

LSU PAINTBALL- We'll cover you with our balls!

Paintball players do it 'till their balls break!

1 Pair KLF-30's

Sonic Frontiers SFL-1 Pre-amp

Carver TFM-45 Amp

Teac AD-4 CD Player

***Needed VPI HW Series Turntable*** Anybody Sellin'?

It's interesting to contemplate what, as a percentage of income, people spend on various things. It puts a lot of it into perspective. If someone spent 4% of their income on a car and another person spent 30% of their income on a car, which one would we think is the more reckless with their money? Same with a house: spend the equivalent of 50% of a year's income on a house or 200%?

I have a friend who makes about $5 mil a year. He buys a Ferrari for $200,000 (4%) and a house for $2.5 mil (50%). I have another friend of makes $100,000 a year, buys a car for $30,000 (30%) and a house for $200,000 (200%). Which is the more reckless with their money?

Doug