HK help...

DrWho

Ok, I've got a really wierd problem right now and I'm pretty sure it's never been mentioned before...

So I've got this fancy new HK 630 and sometimes the amp doesn't work at all. I normally have the preouts of my Denon going into the tape loop input on the reciever. When it's behaving like this the AM/FM tuner doesn't make any sound either. However, if I plug the Denon pre outs into the main amp inputs on the back I get sound. The only other symptom I can describe is that the signal bar thing for the radio stays in exactly the same spot regardless of where I've got it tuned. It behaves normally when the amp is working.

The non working behavior is sporadic and it'll probably work the next time I power it up. It almost makes me want to leave it on 24/7. Anybody got any tips on what might be the problem?

I doubt it's a fuse, but there are like 8 of them in those HK's. The thump is pretty normal. I always switch off speakers before power down, then let warm up before switching speakers in on power up.

The manual tuners had a kind of waxed thread between the tuner section, knob and indicator bar. There might be a spring there somewhere that keeps it taut. Perhaps your's is worn or the string needs replaced. I'd photograph or diagram it carefully before taking anything apart.

M

Well it's definetly not a "mechanical" problem. The tuner sections works flawlessly. Just that when the amp isn't working the needle that shows the signal strength doesn't move around. And I'm entirely bypassing the selector switch by using the tape monitor switch (and I have FM muting on just in case I bump the tape monitor button off).

There is definetly something wrong with the Aux jack though. Not sure if fixing it would fix the other problems? I also have a radio station coming in very quietly in the background. It goes away when I touch the cable feeding it, but I can't seem to find any position that will alleviate the noise.

The amplifier will also buzz on occasion while it's playing - especially when another piece of equipment is being powered up on the same circuit (like the TV). The TV also takes a lot longer to turn on when the HK is powered up. In fact, at one point turning on the TV was able to make the HK go into it's normal non-function mode until it had time to "recharge" - again making me think there are some caps going bad in the power supply. It's either that or I have an extremely dirty signal (or very likely both).

How does one determine if a cap has gone bad? I just got me a new multimeter so I could probably tear through it and measure the crap out of everything.

Thanks for the link - I'll read it later this evening.

So where in the reciever are these output caps and what do I replace them with? Surely it can't be that expensive of a mod? If it's already been discussed before then perhaps I better go do a little homework.

I remember djk mentioning a certain type of cap to use instead of another certain type. I believe one of them were electrolytic, but I don't know if those are the bad or good kind [:$]

Btw, that link you posted Colter had a link in the thread that didn't work because it was to the old forum. I do remember that thread so perhaps I'm best off doing a little searching and digging it up?

Has anyone gone through the entire fuse and cap replacement dance and have pictures of the progress? This would make for a great permament article over at klipschcorner.com - these amps are definetly popular enough to warrant a more permanent reference.

sorry about the link not working, I got it from the SEARCH function though, so you should be able to find info that way.

I see, it's your signal strength needle, I thought you were talking about the station indicator on the face plate.

I'm sure you'll get it working. You are a boy genius afterall![8-|]

M

So where in the reciever are these output caps and what do I replace them with? Surely it can't be that expensive of a mod? If it's already been discussed before then perhaps I better go do a little homework.

I remember djk mentioning a certain type of cap to use instead of another certain type. I believe one of them were electrolytic, but I don't know if those are the bad or good kind [:$]

Btw, that link you posted Colter had a link in the thread that didn't work because it was to the old forum. I do remember that thread so perhaps I'm best off doing a little searching and digging it up?

Has anyone gone through the entire fuse and cap replacement dance and have pictures of the progress? This would make for a great permament article over at klipschcorner.com - these amps are definetly popular enough to warrant a more permanent reference.

Somebody posted the user manuals for the HK receivers in the tech forum, I think it was Dennis. There should be schematic diagrams, so you can trace out the PS circuits.

I'm taking a guess that the squirk and thump on turn-off is a power supply cap or some sort of PS problem.

The easiest thing to do is replace all the electrolytic capacitors that you can in the receiver, or can afford. The PS capacitors are the big storage caps after the rectifier/rectifiers. (Wouldn't hurt to try to replace the rectifiers as well.)

Dunno what replacing existing good fuses would do, but it won't hurt anything.

I never had a HK X-type unit, so I have no clue about the output capacitor type.

If you like the receiver enough to justify re-capping and other mods, Dig-key, Mouser and others are good sources for capacitors. Panasonic caps would be something I would use.

I dunno if HK used that lame glue to mount caps to the PCB's, that makes it fun......but everything is through-hole and easy to work on compared to surface mount I suppose.

I re-capped most the 'lytics in a old mid-seventies JVC lower wattage SS integrated. I think it helped.