RECORD CLAMPS

jcmusic

Jay,

The last 2 TTs I've had came with a record clamp. I think it makes a big difference. The clamp seals the record to the platter thus increasing the damping for a more stable and controlled tracking resulting in a cleaner, more detailed sound and a quieter background.

Its easy to check by thumping the record before and after using a clamp. With the clamp (or weight) in place, the thump should sound more like a solid thud than without. If the record isn't properly secured to the platter, you'll lose any benefit of the damped platter (aside form inertia).

Have fun, Bryan

Anyone here using a record clamp? What kind ? Are they worth the trouble?

Jay

If your spindle is threaded, its really no problem at all to screw down the clamp and only takes a few seconds. There are also lock down clamps and weights that are just as easy to use although I haven't tried either.

Don't forget to remove the spacer if you're going to play a 200g record.

-Bryan

There are good and there are bad record clamps. The bad ones often add resonace that is picked up by the cartridge.

I have bad experience with the Michell clamp. It does the job of holding the record down but you lose focus on the music. I really like the cheap, Audio Technica clamo and the Micro Seiki clamp.

OK what in your opinion would be to much weight? as far as a weighted clamp goes? Any idea how much one weights?

Jay

To much weight will depend a lot on your platter bearing. If your table

was built to handle a heavy platter or not. Then you also

must understand the difference in a clamp and weight. They accomplish

the same thing in two different ways. One using clamping force to hold

the vinyl tight against the platter and the other using the force of

the weight.

Check out this thread over on Audiokarma: Turntable Clamp Repository

OK what in your opinion would be to much weight? as far as a weighted clamp goes? Any idea how much one weights?

Take a look at this thread: http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/thread/704263.aspx. I've only experienced the Basis clamp, which weighs about 10 oz. The weight is probably the smaller part of its action -- mostly, it cinches down the record, flattening it and holding it against the platter.

Edit: FYI, the Basis clamp is $300 new, often $100-$150 used.

lc

OK guys what I am trying to do here is hold

the record flat to the platter. As I noticed some of the records are a

little warped. I am not wanting to break the bank here.

Jay

If you want something simple and your spindle is not threaded, then the

Clearaudio Clever Clamp may be your most economical path.

clearaudiocleverclamp.jpg

It just presses over your spindle. Friction holds it down.

The Basis clamp seems to be the most expensive of those mentioned here, $300 new, and is made to fit Basis spindles which makes me wonder how well it fits other spindles. The undercut design flattens records onto the platter when it's cinched down, which works quite well on record warps.