Anyone buyin' a PS3?

damonrpayne

I won't be buying one till:

1. A God of War game comes out, or a game from the makers of Shadow of the Colossus.

2. It's not $600.

3. I see how their online system stacks up to Xbox Live (which dominates).

4. I see how the format wars go (the PS3 would probably be $400 without a blue ray drive).

There are no launch titles that are worth that much to me, and no titles in development that interest me really. Plus I have a 360 now and there are tons of great games coming out this year.

Also not keen on PS3's limited video memory. Devs are already complaining that 256 Megs is not enough. Look of screenshots of PC ports like F.E.A.R for 360 and PS3, the PS3 shots have noticably reduced texture detail compared to the 360 shots.

I'm sure I'll get one some day, just not until the price drops and/or the price difference between the 360 and PS3 is justified.

Well, they don't have the launch list finalized, but here is a list of all the games in development:

I'm sure there are some that are still secret, but any game that will ship at launch has already been revealed. It's very unlikely that any game launching in November would still be a secret.

Even if you're interested in Gran Turismo, rumor is that they're rushing out an HD version of GT 4 (real HD, not what was shown on PS2). GT 5 isn't expected for at least another 1 1/2 years.

Most of the rest of the big titles on this list are multiplatform, and out of those most will probably look as good or better on 360 this round (lots of devs are complaining about how hard it is to utilize the PS3's architechture and lack of texture memory at this point).

There's also the issue of no rumble in the controllers...Sony's need to copy Nintendo's motion sensitivity in their controllers at the last minute forced them to forgo what is now a staple in gaming, force feedback in the controllers; While this may sound like a nitpick...I just can't see playing an immersive title such as an FPS in HD with 5.1 going on and not having my controller shake when I shoot...I'm too used to it and I think it's integral to immersion in a lot of genres.

I think sony will probably eventually work this back into the controllers, but it should be there from the get go.

Anyway, I'm sure it will be a great system eventually, but to me it's

not worth the $600 at launch for any of those games. Also, I'm not a

big believer in Blue-Ray, it's ridiculous that Sony is still using

MPEG2 on HD movies. I also don't buy their claim that games need this

much space. Unless you're going to make a game that is nothing but HD

cutscenes that aren't in-engine, you don't need that much space yet. I

can't even think of any games currently that span more than one dual

layer DVD...I'll wait till I see something that compels me to buy one.

• 2 weeks later...

Think I am going to pass on the PS3 and Xbox 360 like I did with the PS2 and Xbox last generation.

There were very few original intellectual property games released on both of these systems last generation and I don't see this changing with the next generation hardware. Development times (mainly due to graphics) have skyrocketted becuase of hardware capability, while gameplay and fun (yes, games are supposed to be fun not repetetive) have suffered.

Nintendo still has it right IMO, concentrate on making fun and innovative games while coupling that with new hardware (firsts; d-pad, analog stick,motion sensor controller) that really contributes to playing the game.

The Wii (Nintendos next hardware platform) is making developement easier with massive third party support for software tools and coupling that with a less difficult platform to program for (no dual processors, cell chips ect).

Nintendos in house development team has me hook, line and sinker. Software drives the sale of hardware as time has shown (Apple - Visicalc / PC - Word / Excel / Outlook - Mac - Protools / Desktop publishing).

Too bad so many newer generation people (those that did not grow up with 8 bit to 32 bit Nintendos) give Nintendo a bad rap due to the precieved "Kiddy Console" image that Nintendo conveys.

I applaud Xbox Live for supporting and striking deals to bring small developement teams games to market. It is for this reason alone that I think that I might, just might buy an Xbox 360.

DrWho - Go get "Grand Prix Legends" for the PC and couple that with a force feedback steering wheel. Probably the best racing sim (emphasis on sim) of all time that I have played.

• 1 month later...

Nintendo still has it right IMO

Too

bad so many newer generation people give Nintendo a bad rap due to the

precieved "Kiddy Console" image that Nintendo conveys.

I agree with both those statements. The best consoles ever, IMO, are

the Super NES and the N64 hands down. Even still, on the ocassion I'll

dust off the N64 and play Mario Kart 64 or Goldeneye with my brother,

those games best the newer stuff by far. They're simple and extremely

fun. However I too will pass on the new consoles. Now, I am solely a PC

person and nothing else.

I don't know if Mainland already has the PS3 in stock. For hawaii though it comes in at 11/17/06. Anyways, I went to the sony expo today, all I can say is PS3 For the WIN! Graphics is unreal plus they show the before and after pics of the blue ray. Also I think some of the video games are THX certified. Call of Duty 3, will be excellent for Surround sound on your system!

• 2 weeks later...

The main reason I may consider getting a PS3 is Final Fantasy XIII! I've been a huge fan of the Final Fantasy series since the days of the original Final Fantasy on the 8-bit NES.

Hell, I've been trying to get a copy of the Final Fantasy XII that just came out, and I cannot friggan find one to save my life! Being that I mostly use the console to play RPGs (I rather play on the PC for just about anything else), I opted for the PlayStation 2 due to its strong RPG library, such as DragonQuest, Star Ocean, XenoSaga, Final Fantasy, and so forth, most of which are not available on the Xbox. Just about any game I saw that I was interested in on the Xbox, I can also get for the PC. However, it seems if you are into sports games (I am not, save for Tiger Wood's golf or the odd racing sim), the XBox is the way to go, at least for now.

Anyway, I was over at Best Buy earlier this evening, and there are already people camping out front waiting for the PS3! I am not that dedicated, and I sure as hell won't be trying to get one on eBay either. I'll probably be like most everyone else and wait until spring to get one (plus as soon as I can get a copy of Final Fantasy XII, my trusty'ol PS2 will be doing just fine in the mean time - may have to go over to Best Buy this weekend again and see if I can find a copy).

Nope, not buying one nor have I bought any Sony hardware since the original PS1.

Nintendo has it right IMO for this generation. No super high res, 480 p, easy to use development tools. no multi core processing, new controller tech (they were first with the d-pad, analog stick now the gyro controller) and a back to the basics fun that video games are supposed to have.

Games have become way too bloated due to an emphasis on graphics over game play.

There were a handful of titles that were really unique on the PS 2 but alas that did not make me want to buy one.

Gamecube had a ton of unique titles (mainly from Nintendos in house developement) which for me drives the sale of the hardware.