Ceiling mount a RC-3 for rear surround

BrentMann

I am looking to upgrade from 5.1 to 6.1 (new reciever and new speaker) The reciever is still undecided on reciever (current front runner is Denon AVR-3802) but the speaker will be a RC-3 to match the RF-3, RC-3, RS-3 set I currently have (w/ M&K sub).

The question: Anybody have any ideas regarding ceiling mounting an RC-3? My theater room is 40 ' deep, so the back wall is not an option.

TIA

I have plans to do just that, but haven't got around to it yet. My family room is 26' deep, then goes up 3 steps into the kitchen. I have the RC-3 sitting on a bookcase behind the couch, but it's not tall enough.

My plan was to build a box that attached to the ceiling, angled down to the listening position. The box would match the ceiling color and texture, and would also allow speaker mounting without drilling holes in the speaker. Been too busy to build the box, and too lazy to string the wires (another story).

Good luck, and let us know what you end up with.

Jim

------------------

Jim

SF-2 Mains

SF-1 Center (pair)

RS-3 Surrounds

RC-3 Rear Center

KSW-10 Subs (pair)

Yamaha RX-V1 Reciever

Yamaha CDC-655 CD Player

Toshiba SD-1200 DVD

Toshiba TN50X81 50" HDTV

have you looked at getting one of those speaker poles that hold your speaker from the ceiling to the correct level? The would work and look pretty cool. though i am not sure where exactly to find them, seen them at BOSE (caugh caugh) dealer near my house. They look really nice. might chekc Crutchfield.com for some options.

------------------

-justin

I am an amateur, if it is professional help you want email Amy or call her toll free @ 1-888-554-5665

I'm looking to hang a KLF-C7 from the ceiling as a rear center; same problem as you folks, but a somewhat bigger and heavier speaker. I'm probably about a month away from being able to work on this, but would appreciate hearing from anyone who's solved the "ceiling mount problem". If I get to the finish line first, I'll post some details.

By the way, I talked with Trey at Klipsch quite a while ago to see what he'd recommend. He didn't have any great commercial solutions, but did say the C7 was definately NOT designed to support itself if hung from something like an OmniMount bracket (i.e., drilling into the speaker to attach a mounting plate). The only possible mount I've found so far is designed for suspending a small TV from the ceiling; it might work, but wouldn't be very elegant. Here's an example:

http://www.audio-direct.com/cgi-bin/pgen_asp/pagegen.asp?itemnum=PTC-13-WHITE

Looking forward to hearing from anyone who's already tried something like this. With 6.1 and 7.1 systems becoming more common, I expect lots of us will be facing this sooner or later ...

Thanks!

Steve

I just suspended a Forte (56 pounds?) from the ceiling, but with Trey's advice I did not suspend the speaker directly, as it is not designed to hold its weight. I built a shelf from 3/4" MDF and hung it using 240lb test wire rope with plastic coating and some beefy thimbles and clamps. I know it would take a different shelf design, as your speakers must be able to fire downward. Perhaps using angle iron, you could build a rectangular frame, line it with felt, and set the center channel speaker in the frame, face down. Then suspend the frame from the ceiling using wire rope, as I did. Paint the whole thing black, and it might not look too bad!

Doug