Pink Floyd.......Me too.

oldbuckster

Well, I hate to be a critic, but here goes. I went out and got a copy of Pulse after reading all the reviews on the forum. I watched and listened to disk 2 and overall, I am disappointed. The video, for one is pretty bad. I am using a 120" screen and the video is less than optimum....kool lighting on stage though. I compare that with the video from the Eagles "Hell Freezes Over" and there is no comparrison.

Now on to the sound. I listened in 5.1 and 7.1 (DPL IIX) and the sound was ok, but it did not thrill me. In fact, my system produces an annoying distortion or reverb in the "Time" track. I was concerned that maybe my Khorns and Cornwalls on the right side were acting up, but it is the way the sound was recorded.

As a comparisson, after watching the DVD, I put in the DSOM SACD. Now, THAT is a great recording. If you think the DVD has good sound, and you have an SACD player, run out and get it...then crank it up. Compared to the Pulse DVD, it is very impressive.

Now, I know the recording was at a concert etc. etc. I guess after reading the reviews I expected more. It sounded like the recording was killer, like the Eagles DVD, but for my taste, it was a wasted $20.

Well, now I have to edit this after reading it again. I was probably a little too harsh. It wasn't a waster $20, it still is a nice DVD to have, but does not make my top 5 music DVD's. I beleive the problem with the video is the grayniness due to taping in a mostly dark or low light environment. The first DVD has some scenes in full light and the picture is much better there.

Easy on the flame throwers boys...just another opinion.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rudy81...Sorry you didn't like it........Maybe I liked so much because I'm not a real big floyd fan, so what my expectations were are not the same of a true fan, and I don't have that David vs. Roger stuff to cloud what I saw............I got a great show for my money, people had to twist my arm to get it, and I'm glad they did.............although I would like to hear it on a set of Jubilees........someday maybe.........

It's not so much that I didn't like it for the performance. I had deduced from all the fan fare on the forum that this was a fantastic DVD from both the audio and video perspectives. I guess I just expected more from the technical aspects of the audio and video recording.

PhilMays, have you found the Pros and Cons by Roger Waters yet. If not, I will do a search and get back to you. Mike, $10. for a used lp that is quite worn. I am sure they will credit you. The record is probably in this shape because the original owner played it over and over and over again(musically,I cannot blame him). Benefit of the optical system. When I play vinyl, I will not play that vinyl again for another 24 hrs. Saves on wear and tear. Talk with you all soon.

Yes, they'll take it back, Rock and Roll Heaven in Winter Park is where I got it, and where I buy most of my vinyl. $8 - $10 is what it generally cost for a decent album there (original pressing).

As for playing vinyl, I generally won't play the same album in the same day, but I have many that have over 200 plays on them and they still sound fantastic. Please read your PM.

Mike

Hi oldbuckster,

I found it at this site:

www.Analog-Forum.de » Musik » Musik - allgemein » PINK FLOYD Syd Barrett Tribute in Toronto

Now I am certain it is a hoax. I emailed to Air Canada Center at Toronto. The answer was:

We do not have any information in regards to a Pink Floyd show coming to the Air

Canada Centre at this time. Please check back on the Air Canada Centre website

at www.theaircanadacentre.com or www.ticketmaster.ca for information and

announcements for upcoming events.

Thanks for being a

fan!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Your Comment @ 2006-09-21 06:34:32

<<<<<<<<<<<<

Subject Category: ACC

Ticket Information

So please ignore it. I want to apologize for this false report.

Jack

Will have to check that out...........So much junk released after he died......hard to figure which is good and which is just pure money making product...........Dan if there is one figure in Rock that I hold dear to my heart it's Jimi Hendrix........the Greatest Guitarist of them all.........Not my words.........words from other Guitarists.........when you see or hear the words.......Guitar Slinger.......Jimi is who they are talking about............the Brother could flat out play a Guitar..........Mr. James Marshall Hendrix.......There's a Red House over yonder.................

OB, I would not lead you to just any recording. Jimi is at his finest here. All originals,except Born Under A Bad Sign. Some studio, some live. Performances, again, at his finest(there are many, no doubt),as well as all the other musicians. There is also a booklet with over 20 pages talking of Jimi's life. It is also a good recording to "check out" if your system is up to snuff. I listened to it twice today(I was off from work).

Will have to check that out...........So much junk released after he died......hard to figure which is good and which is just pure money making product...........Dan if there is one figure in Rock that I hold dear to my heart it's Jimi Hendrix........the Greatest Guitarist of them all.........Not my words.........words from other Guitarists.........when you see or hear the words.......Guitar Slinger.......Jimi is who they are talking about............the Brother could flat out play a Guitar..........Mr. James Marshall Hendrix.......There's a Red House over yonder.................

Eh......Jimi was great,but not the greatest,not nearly enough variety.To be the greatest you have to play the from the heaviest Rock to the Hilliest Billy(think Jimmy Page),all imo.

Using that criteria, I might suggest then either classical guitarist Andres Segovia, Stevie Ray Vaughn or Roy Clark who could all play a variety of styles at the highest levels.

As an aside, this is always a great debate because there is no one 'best', only those who moved us the most.

I agree with the part about who moves us the most but,R Clark(while a great guitar player)is not a heavy rocker.And SRV's heaviest song(although another oustanding player but limited in variety) to me was "Voodoo Child" ala Jimi.

I would have to say Steve is my favorite guitarist right now, and Yes my favorite band... have been playing a lot of their vinyl lately, and also love the Yes Live at the House of Blues DVD.

Without a doubt a very underappreciated guitarist. I always include his name in my top 5 guitarists.

Mike

What Mike said...[H]