Peer pressure - Altec and Klipsch

TommyK

Dylanl, I would call the Cornwall bass boomy. The 416b bass has the 5 dB jump up at 45-50 Hz with the steep falloff starting at 33 Hz thereafter, hence my "lumpy." The Valencia cab is smaller than the Model 19 cab with the same woofer, so the Valencias exhibit a punchier, lighter bass that doesn't extend as deep.

When the engineers fiddled with the xovers to extend linear bass response to 1200, and then 1500 Hz with the 416b, they really started messing with coherence. While there aren't many songs that this rears its head, when it does, ears perk up and we start poking around to chase down the aberrant behavior. It unnerves me when it happens on the 19s, hence my like for the Valencias over both the 19s and the VOTTs in normal clothing. When tricked up, all can become wonderful examples of sound.

One huge advantage of the 19s is about 102 dB sensitivity with a power rating of 10 to 300 watts. You can crank them all day long[:D]

All right then both you Cjgeraci and Cut throat are on my S list!

You, You, Altec haters![:D]

I'm hardly an Altrec hater. I am currently using the Altec 1005B horns with Altec 288-16K drivers, Crites Tweeters and Klipschorn Bass Bins. I just select the best sounding drivers of each.

But with the Altec midrange, I am probably listening to the Altec most of the time. The midrange is where we live and that is why I also prefer SET amplifiers!

You, You Altec haters!

[:D][:P]

Just the opposite - I love my modded Altec Valencias. In fact, some in here probably think its "heresy" to run them with Klipsch speakers in the same 5.1 setup.

But, that being said - the Altecs still functions as my surrounds ...................[6][:o]

Carl.

P.S. At least I prefer push pull to SET..........

P.S.2 I also live primarily in the midrange. Both my Crites tweeters in front, and the Beymas in the back are highly attentuated. I just choose to live in the midrange with pp.