Who was looking for a Marantz Model 7?

kev313

OB, that is on the high side, but the seller has every advantage in the world of highly valued vintage stereo gear. Japanese collectors often set the marketprice value. The Marantz will do nothing but increase in value over the next twenty years.

As far as new gear, when we had the gathering a couple weeks back, Bob had his 7 over, and the Blueberry presented a better palatte. The Marantz could benefit from a refresh, but I had a feeling that it would still be be riding shotgun in a shootout.

Once the snow flies they will fetch $1000 more. Also what new piece of gear will appreciate every year that you own it?

Are you saying that piece of equipment will sell for over $3000. later in the season? I don't know about gear appreciating............I'm not in it for the money, it's like Cars, if your into Cars for the money, your in it for the wrong reason..........that's alot of money for that unit.........to the right person it's a deal, I guess.............

That is actually a pretty reasonable price for a 7 in that condition. I'll bet it doesn't last long at that price. EDIT: I just noticed this is a 7 day auction, not a classified. So I guess it will last at least 7 days[:)]

These are collectors items as much as they are audio pieces. It isn't going to sound any better than a similarly priced modern preamp but that's not the point. If you are just looking for a great sounding reliable tube preamp, no need to buy a 40 year old Marantz.

I will add that, I have a JM Blueberry Xtreme and in comparisons to a properly refurbished McIntosh MX110 and Marantz 7 ( I own both), they all sounded pretty damn good to me with no clear favorite.

As far as new gear, when we had the gathering a couple weeks back, Bob had his 7 over, and the Blueberry presented a better palatte. The Marantz could benefit from a refresh, but I had a feeling that it would still be be riding shotgun in a shootout.

SAY WHAT!?!

Actually, much as it pains me to admit it, Dave's right on both points. Maybe after I get the house refinanced I can tend to the 7's refitting.

SAY WHAT!?!

Actually, much as it pains me to admit it, Dave's right on both points. Maybe after I get the house refinanced I can tend to the 7's refitting.

Both Scott & Dave are correct on varying points..... Daves Point that the asian buyers are setting the price benchmark is correct. Scott is correct on the price being reasonable. I know, because I've been watching Marantz 7 & 7C prices for sometime, 2 years approx, as it is still my plan (hope, hope) to assemble a vintage Marantz system.

In any case, I do believe the Blueberry (Plain or Xtreme) will knock the crapola out of it, and then some.

In any case, I do believe the Blueberry (Plain or Xtreme) will knock the crapola out of it, and then some.

Why do you believe that? I just told you it doesn't. Come listen anytime and judge for yourself. Actually, after my first listening sessions with the BB and an MX110, I told Mark, that I felt the MX110 and his BB were hard to tell apart, he took that as a compliment, as well he should. These pieces didn't become legends because they were average.

Scott, the reason I think the BB will win over the marantz, is because I was just so suprised to hear just how much cleaner it sounded compared to my C22. What I mean by cleaner is this..after listening to the C22 for several hours (6 to 8hrs), and then flipping pres (its easy with my current setup), the BB makes the mac sound a slightly cloudy or rather like the music is being ever so slightly muffled. Ive done this countless times, and every time, the BB sounds better. Not only to me, but my wife as well. It could be a bad tube in the C22, but I kinda doubt it. Well, maybe muffled is too strong a neg. word, but I think you get what Im trying to explain. Its very difficult to put into words, but I can hear a distinct difference, and in my opinion the BB (in either Xtremed or Reg. Unleaded) out shines my Mac preamp. Hell, for music, the BB even kicks the crapola out of my Krell system.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Someone might say that theres something wrong with my C22, but there isnt. Shes never performed more flawlessly. She actually kicks-butt, its just that the BB sounds that much cleaner to my ears. And now that the BBs been creamed and xtremed, the bass is much more present to my ears, yet not too over-powering like the mac can be. I hope I dont go to audiophile hell for this, but I do honestly belive the BB will win over the marantz.

I know Marantz 7C pre was the cats meow in her day, and actually still is a highly sought after piece of gear. Shoot, thats why I want to have a 7c preamp. I also want one of their 8B stereo tube amp and 10B tuner. And by god Ill have that system before I kick the bucket. But even after Ive bought all this gear, after its been completely gone through and freshened up, Im betting that my BB will win in the end.

James Bongiorno "regarding the preamp circuits, this was an era BEFORE the

development of the full complementary circuit philosophy. In referencing

the Marantz 7T, most people regarded that preamp to be the first step

downward for Marantz. It was designed by Sid Smith, whom I regard as the

greatest audio engineer in the world. When I say "step downward", I of

course am refering to the SOUND QUALITY and not anything else. Virtually

everyone considered the 7T not to be in the league of the tube 7. All of

us engineers were at the time on a learning curve regarding solid state

circuitry for preamps. Again what I was refering to was sound quality

and not the manufacturing quality of the product. One must realize that

the circuitry of the 7T, which was extensively copied by many other

engineers, was the best that could be done AT THE TIME. It wasn't until

the mid 70's that radical changes came about with preamp circuitry.

These changes were in effect conceived by both myself with the "Thaedra"

at GAS, and by John Curl with the preamps from Levinson.

I hope everyone understands that this was a learning curve situation.

regarding the SAE amplifiers, this was again a situation of

learning curve blues. Prior to my developing the dual differential full

complementary circuit at SAE, ALL power amplifiers were single ended and

unbalanced. And they were problematic regarless of what company made

them. I am in no way trying to denegrate the amps that SAE was making

prior to my arrival however, any problems with these units were no

different than problems all other companies were having with this style

of circuitry."..................his favorite SAE amp is the XXXIB {31B}.......

James Bongiorno

A Documented History of Designs

Hadley Laboratories 622C Power Amplifier, contributing engineer

Marantz Model 15 Power Amplifier, contributing engineer

Dynaco Stereo 400 Power Amplifier, Designer

Dynaco AF-6 AM/FM Tuner, contributing engineer

SAE (Scientific Audio Engineering)

XXXIB Power Amplifier, Designer

IIIC/CM Power Amplifier, Designer

IVD/DM Power Amplfier, Designer

VIB Stereo Tuner, contributing engineer

IC Stereo Preamplifier, contributing engineer

The following products continued to use my circuit topology:

2200, 2300, 2400, 2500, 2600, A series, X series

GAS (The Great American Sound Co.) Chief Designer

Ampzilla Power Amplifier

Ampzilla II (Worlds first servo-controlled power amplifier)

Thaedra Preamplifier (Worlds first (and only) servo controlled preamp

Thoebe Preamplifier

Son of Ampzilla Power Amplifier

Thalia Preamplifier

Grandson Power Amplfier

Sleeping Beauty Moving Coil Cartrdges

Sumo Electric Co. Ltd. Chief Designer

The Power, Worlds first 450 watt/channel fully balanced Bridge Power Amp

The Gold, Worlds first patented solid state Class A Power Amplifier

The Nine, Worlds first low cost solid state class A power amplifier

The Nine+, Ruggedized version

Electra Preamplifier

Charlie the Tuner, worlds first premium low cost stereo tuner

The Half-power, stereo power amplifier

Andromeda, worlds first low cost solid state class AB Balanced Power Amp

The Sumo I, Magnetic Phono Cartridge

The Sumo II, Moving coil Phono Cartridge

Harmon-Kardon, Consultant, Completely redesigned the Citation 23 Tuner

Crown Radio, Japan, 4 luxurious Power amps, 2 Luxuious Preamps, a fully

Equalized (phase & amplitude) 3-way electronic crossover.

Spread Spectrum Technologies Inc.. Chief Designer

Ampzilla 2000, fully balanced monobloc power amplifier

Trinaural Processor

post-16352-13819308225464_thumb.jpg

I had a GAS Thaedra preamp & the Marantz 7T....As a side by side comparison. The Thraedra couldnt hold a candle to the 7T. The Marantz 7T had plug in transisters & could be upgraded to higher beta quality transisters for a sweeter sound. THe Thraedra had a better power supply but still had a dull sound. (foggy).

Scott, the reason I think the BB will win over the marantz, is because I was just so suprised to hear just how much cleaner it sounded compared to my C22. What I mean by cleaner is this..after listening to the C22 for several hours (6 to 8hrs), and then flipping pres (its easy with my current setup), the BB makes the mac sound a slightly cloudy or rather like the music is being ever so slightly muffled. Ive done this countless times, and every time, the BB sounds better. Not only to me, but my wife as well. It could be a bad tube in the C22, but I kinda doubt it. Well, maybe muffled is too strong a neg. word, but I think you get what Im trying to explain. Its very difficult to put into words, but I can hear a distinct difference, and in my opinion the BB (in either Xtremed or Reg. Unleaded) out shines my Mac preamp. Hell, for music, the BB even kicks the crapola out of my Krell system.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Someone might say that theres something wrong with my C22, but there isnt. Shes never performed more flawlessly. She actually kicks-butt, its just that the BB sounds that much cleaner to my ears. And now that the BBs been creamed and xtremed, the bass is much more present to my ears, yet not too over-powering like the mac can be. I hope I dont go to audiophile hell for this, but I do honestly belive the BB will win over the marantz.

I know Marantz 7C pre was the cats meow in her day, and actually still is a highly sought after piece of gear. Shoot, thats why I want to have a 7c preamp. I also want one of their 8B stereo tube amp and 10B tuner. And by god Ill have that system before I kick the bucket. But even after Ive bought all this gear, after its been completely gone through and freshened up, Im betting that my BB will win in the end.

Ok, now. "Betting that my BB will win in the end" is different than kicking the crapola and then some out it.

Anyway, I have them all here, in the same room. I swap them in and out every 3 to 6 months depending on the mood. Blueberry Xtreme, Marantz 7, McIntosh MX110 even a C11 for good measure. The vintage gear pieces were serviced by Audio Classics. There is no crapola kicking among any of them. They are all good and I doubt you could pick a winner. If you could, it would be by a tiny amount, not by crapola and then some kicking amount.

PS. My C22 sounds like crapola actually. It makes a nice display piece. I know your's was gone over by Craig. My could use a refurb someday but since I don't use it, I've never bothered.

Well, it appears we are both of the same opinion on the C22 versus the BB. Before I purchased mine, I was advised otherwise by a forum member, but I have a very hard head and had to experience it myself. I definitely have NO REGRETS on my purchase of the C22, I do love it, and your right, it is a beautful piece of gear. The sound is fantastic, but not to die for.

I think the Marantz 7 series are the prettiest of the bunch, and I know that the tubed series of this pre were/are hailed at the mother of all pre's, so there in lies the reason for the bug in my arse about aquireing one. And now that I know you have one, as well as a C22, and we are of the same opinion on the C22, GUESS WHAT,... you just lit a fire under my butt. Now I want one more than ever.

If anyone here ever comes across a primo minty conditioned 7C (Champagne finish prefered), 8B and/or 10B. Please let me know.

Thanks alott Scott, I'll get you for this [;)]