Jubilee 2-way Horn Question

BiggerIsBetter

Yes, we really need a large Tractrix horn!

As originally posted, there are very few options. I would love to have that K402 and find our how this driver does 200hz for myself...

I'm betting it would with no problem at all (in home audi application that is) and sounding very good doing it. I talked at length with the US importor (a pro audio guy) and expected him to laugh when I mention 200hz. His reply was should be no problem at those levels with a steep crossover.

hey betterisbigger

i am still trying to find out if we offer the horn without the driver. i have been in and out of town so much lately and so has the cinema guy that we have had trouble communicating. hopefully soon i will have an answer.

berryboy roy

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's exactly why Roy prefers to use such a insanely huge horn for the Jubilee top-end...by maintaining coverage control down into the lower registers you don't have as many corner reinforcement issues. Gotta keep the "sound bubble" moving forward away from the walls.

doc,

insanely huge?? why i will have you know that in my world that is a medium sized horn!! :)

berryboy roy

Thanks Roy, regardless of the answer I greatly appreciate the consideration.

I have said it before, Klipsch is a great company and I am happy to be a customer whenever I can.

I seem to have the opposite problem in my house. My wife is the primary instigator and keeps telling me to go ahead and stop messing around and just get the Jubilees...

That's exactly why Roy prefers to use such a insanely huge horn for the Jubilee top-end...by maintaining coverage control down into the lower registers you don't have as many corner reinforcement issues. Gotta keep the "sound bubble" moving forward away from the walls.

Yes, but the point is that the Jubilee crosses over MUCH higher than what is being discussed (200 Hz) and look at it!

Is nobody listening to me?

DM

I'm listening. The K402 is physically (in each dimension) as large as my room will stand. If that size horn will not effectively do 250hz, then such a low crossover to a mid driver is a no go realistically.

Still, I gotta believe that we are discussing tradeoffs here. I am hoping that the benefits of getting the base bin out of reproducing voices will offset any shortcoming identified previously. I don't claim to know the absolute answer to that question, but I sure would like to be in a position to hear the tradeoffs for myself...

Well, I don't think the Jubilee bass-midrange crossover point has a great deal to do with the size of the monster horn on top, at least I don't see it.

A super-wide conical high frequency horn, broadcasting into a larger 90 deg. conical horn (e.g., the corner), it would seem to be more of a diffraction-reducing effort, IMO.

Yes, I agree that it is associated with producing a continuous wavefront, but that it doesn't seem to have anything to do with where it crosses over with the bass horn.

DM

"The K402 is physically (in each dimension) as large as my room will

stand."

I'd love to hear that horn as well. In my case though I am fairly sure

three of those horns across up front literally wouldn't fit in my room.

"If that size horn will not effectively do 250hz, then such a

low crossover to a mid driver is a no go realistically."

I don't know about the K402 but I think Roy said it loads down to

around 200hz. If you are planning on crossing near where the horn

loading runs out I'd cross it steeply for extra safety. I'd cross it

steeply anyway for other reasons but that is me.

I did some quick measurements of an Altec MR94 which is deeper but

somewhat narrower and maybe slightly less tall then the K402 and it got

down to around 250 or 200hz as well. That was with an Altec 288 type

driver. Something like an Altec 290 might be able to go lower still. I

posted the measurements here a few months back but can't find that

thread right now.

Keep in mind though that pushing the crossover that low you would be

getting below where the horn maintains its pattern control. Ideally you

should place your crossover where the two horns dispersion patterns are

roughly the same. That isn't always practical though.

Shawn

I got it, finally. Olson stated in "Acoustic Engineering" that for wavelengths SHORTER than the diameter of the horn mouth tend to follow the dispersion characteristics of the horn flare, not the mouth. The larger wavelengths follow the mouth dispersion characteristics.

So the Jubilee horn is designed for wide coverage even at high frequencies, which would normally close into a "beam" determined by the flare angle of the horn sides (not the mouth). So that explains the wide conical expansion flare.

Ok, makes sense now, I couldn't see why Klipsch would want such a monstrous (i.e., ZERO-WAF) horn on the Jubilee.

DM

"there is an acceptable, MUCH smaller horn for the 2-way Jubilee, no?"

Good question, I have seen references to "smaller" horns, but don't see any in the commercial catalog.

Anyone know the other options, their size, cutoff, and availability/cost?

If I don't find another options, it looks like that 200hz bentwood exponential from ebay ($500) may be the only realistic wat to go.