New Heresy III's Arrive :-)

GregB

Greg,

Welcome to the forum and congrats on your new Heresy III's. They are awesome sounding speakers.

I'm no help on break in, but I wouldn't think it would take long for the drivers to all run in to their optimum performance. Also, they should sound fabulous right out of the box.

They do sound rather good ;-) I've been fortunate to own several pairs of new speakers over the years and have yet to hear a pair that didn't change substantially over time. My last new pair (Naim Allaes) took 4+ months to run in!

I'm concerned that the horn loading of the titanium tweeter and mid driver may mean it takes *even longer* to run in since the drivers move less than conventional speakers to produce the same output. Then there are the 12" bass drivers...

Now, the highs are OK but get splashy when there is alot of HF information. The bass is good but the speaker sounds "thick" - male vocals sound "chesty". I'm hoping both of these will change for the better over time, and was hoping for some confirmation from other Klipsch owners :-)

- GregB

Greg,

Welcome! Has it been that long...? Seems like only yesterday I was the newbee. Many things can influence the time required for speakers to break-in, i.e. usage, amplifier power (dampening factor), humidity, etc. All things being equal, I would allow at least 30-50 hours before things start to settle down. However, Daddy Dee is correct in suggesting that they should sound great right out of the box. Enjoy!

William

The Heresy's definitely sounded best right out of the box. Just wondering what to expect :-) If they still sound 'thick' after a week or so I will see if I can raise them a smidge off the floor. A big 'plus' for me is the speakers are toddler friendly :-) But standmounting really not practical.

- GregB

GregB, my Heresy II were brand new in Feburary, I bought a left over set, the HIII's were just out. I've had them up 12", down right on the floor, and 4" off the floor, I like the sound of the 4" stands, with slight tilt up on front ............... I've been playing with them since Feb. and feel like I found the right spot for them. Are You using a sub woofer? Thick is a description I have never heard used with Heresy's ....... what are you driving them with?

No sub - driving them with a Rotel integrated amp - the 1062 - won lots of awards so it must be good :::wink:::

I'm hoping the thickness is just the Resonance of The Day for the woofer as the surround loosens up during run in. Other speakers I've run in start out with no bass, then you get bass with a big hump and nothing below the hump, and then the hump moves to lower and lower frequencies until it eventually goes away completely. And tweeters can take FOREVER to clean up with the tweeter output dropping during the run in.

If the HIII's follow this pattern, I'm expecting them to be bang on perfect once fully run in. Just hoping someone else would confirm this :-)

I also don't have the luxury of doing a speed burn in where once speaker is wired out of phase and the two speakers are placed face-to-face and run full range for hours. With a (fabulous) wife and two little kids, I'm gonna have to wait.

- GregB

Speed burn-in, what the hell is that, wired out of phase...........Yikes........Just use them like any other speaker ........... they'll take care of themselves ......... I don't know what your looking for .......... but ........... if you want a GOOD sounding speaker, and one that doesn't take up a whole lot of room ...... has great high's ..... smooth mid range ...... and a Bass response that likes a sub ... or... not .... Will handle all the power you give 'em ..... You got the right ones ............ small in size .... Large in sound .... .YUP, it's a Klipsch Heresy ....[;)]

GregB: Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new Heresy III's! I got my pair of Heresy III's last November and hooked them up this spring, just after I acquired a nice Eico ST-70 tube amp for them. I can't explain how long the run-in will take you as I have a unique situation: Mine are mounted in my garage. Hence, more humidity and temperature extremes than yours will be exposed to. Note: They are only used above 60 degrees. One thing you might try to lessen the heaviness that seems to bother you, maybe try moving them away from the wall (towards the room's center) just a bit? That used to work with my old Polk towers. Best of luck!

post-10177-13819308343444_thumb.jpg

GregB.

Welcome to the BB.

The Heresy's were my first heritage speakers. You have a great pair of speakers.

What Picky said. Placement is the biggest part of Klipsch. Play with setup. Toe them in. Place tennis balls under the front to point them up.

Once you have them in the right spot the sweet spot will just sound awesome.

Breakin won't take that long. The only thing to break in really is the woofer and xover.

Most people who don't like Klipsch complain about them being "Too Bright" and that is really because of the equipment then are using to feed the speakers.

Your setup sounds close.

Again welcome and don't be a stranger.

Danny

Yea...Rotel is fuller sounding than mucho other solid state gear I've heard so I think I will be alright. Someday I will go back to a vintage tube setup and that will likely raise the game. All in good time.

And if your worried about not having time (Don't buy green bannanas) then f%@* it and get what you want!

- GregB

I also don't have the luxury of doing a speed burn in where once speaker is wired out of phase and the two speakers are placed face-to-face and run full range for hours. With a (fabulous) wife and two little kids, I'm gonna have to wait. - GregB

I think doing this would result in almost no noise. The speakers out of phase would nulify each other, particularly if you have a mono setting. So the family should be fine. I did this once but it was a long time ago and my memory is sketchy[:(]

That said, how many people really believe this burn in stuff(Greg, I know you do, wondering what others think)? I know what PWK would say about it.

Yea, I do believe in the run in stuff, esp where speakers are concerned. And yes - out of phase in mono and facing the speakers is all about canceling the full-range cacaphony we plan to play rather loudly for hours on end!

And what would he say...I wonder...

While I have had severl pairs of new speakers to run in during the past few years, I am NOT a member of the Speaker of the Month club! I had B&W's for over 15 years and regret letting them go. All other speakers since have been fairly short lived. I suspect the Heresy's are here for a while unless the bug bites to upgrade to the Bigger Boys.

- GregB

Yea, I do believe in the run in stuff, esp where speakers are concerned. And yes - out of phase in mono and facing the speakers is all about canceling the full-range cacaphony we plan to play rather loudly for hours on end! And what would he say...I wonder... While I have had severl pairs of new speakers to run in during the past few years, I am NOT a member of the Speaker of the Month club! I had B&W's for over 15 years and regret letting them go. All other speakers since have been fairly short lived. I suspect the Heresy's are here for a while unless the bug bites to upgrade to the Bigger Boys. - GregB

This is just the beginning my New Forum member ... One word ... KLIPSCHORNS ...

Yikes!!! Its the little ones for now because I have two little ones!!! A 3 1/2 year old and a 1 year old. The Heresys just tuck away in the corners and do their biz. The Redskins game last night, even though ESPN's audio sucks pond water (at least via our cable provider), was mucho more dramatic that football has been though previous speakers.

- GregB

Yikes!!! Its the little ones for now because I have two little ones!!! A 3 1/2 year old and a 1 year old. The Heresys just tuck away in the corners and do their biz. The Redskins game last night, even though ESPN's audio sucks pond water (at least via our cable provider), was mucho more dramatic that football has been though previous speakers.

- GregB

Stick around awhile, let the madness settle in. you'll soon find out............if you got risers that's enough tilt.........the little ones will like the Khorns.........or..........there are two Lucky Men who just happen to own, Jubilee's, just two........maybe you could be number 3.........Relax enjoy your H3's..........they're FINE speakers.......give them a chance ...... play with 'em. move 'em around........show them off to your friends.......ENJOY