Altec A7 help needed...

soundbound

I bought those Altec A7 bass cabinets. They came with 416-8A woofers. On my last post about them one forum member here recommended 802-8G HF driver with N501 crossovers and another recommended the 902 drivers. Anyone else have any other to recommend?

KCM wrote, I have a nice pair of 511B horns and 802 drivers (freshly rebuilt by Great Plains) available if you are interested.

How much?

Soundbound, the 416a is an 8 ohm job. Check the resistance on them with a fluke to ensure they are up to snuff.

The 511/811 horn lens often are around $100 for a bare pair. Bill at Great Plains is the best in the business - his repair parts are gold. I'd pair whatever KCM asks if it seems reasonable to you. Most Altec and Klipsch fans are from the same cloth; if it will help someone else and I don't need it, then give me what I have in it.

You're gonna have some fun with these[:D]

KCM,

I'll reply to your PM as soon as I receive it. I saw your AA post and did not reply as you ask.

CaptnBob,

Are these tangerine phase plugs hard to get? Are they easy enough to install and can you use them on most drivers? I bet they sound tangerine sweet.

Thanks all. Your information and offers helps me a lot. This is a great forum because of its great members!

A7 bound...

I bought those Altec A7 bass cabinets. They came with 416-8A woofers. On my last post about them one forum member here recommended 802-8G HF driver with N501 crossovers and another recommended the 902 drivers. Anyone else have any other to recommend?

KCM wrote, I have a nice pair of 511B horns and 802 drivers (freshly rebuilt by Great Plains) available if you are interested.

How much?

802-8G won't work from 500 hz. It's better to go with a N-800 crossover if you wish to use these. Or go with 288 drivers with a 500 hz crossover.

802-8G won't work from 500 hz.

It's better to go with a N-800 crossover if you wish to use

these. Or go with 288 drivers with a 500 hz crossover.

Where do you get that the 800 series 1" drivers won't do 500Hz ? Altec

list them as 500-22K and sold them as such in the A7-500 Voice of the

Theater A7 using a 825 cabinet. Also, the 288 is 1.4" large format

driver that won't fit a 811 or 511 horn. The horn is a two bolt flange

and the 288 is a three bolt driver.

KCM,

I'll reply to your PM as soon as I receive it. I saw your AA post and did not reply as you ask.

CaptnBob,

Are these tangerine phase plugs hard to get? Are they easy enough to install and can you use them on most drivers? I bet they sound tangerine sweet.

Thanks all. Your information and offers helps me a lot. This is a great forum because of its great members!

A7 bound...

I don't believe the tangerine plugs are an "add-on." It was a design change the guys at Altec came up with and incorporated into their drivers. In any event, I don't remember ever seeing any for separate sale.

I talked to Bill at Great Plains Audio today and he recommended the 811 horn crossed at 800Hz for the best home application. He said that the only reason they crossed them at 500Hz at theaters was to get more sound firing out of the 511B horn out into the audience. Back then, bass was not as important. He also recommended the 902 driver and N8500 crossover. The N8500 gives you the option of 500 or 800Hz. I'm wondering if you could just use the 511B horn and cross it at 500Hz or 800Hz depending what sounds best for your application. I wonder why he recommended the 902 driver over the 802? Is the 902 a newer series? He did say that the 802 would be fine, but not the real old ones. He said he did not have time to talk, so I had to let him go before I was able to get all the information I needed from him. So I'm asking the forum members here their take on Bill's recommendations. I'm finding this stuff interesting. Thanks for any other help you offer.