Fresh start w/ Classic CWs

KOZ

Okay, the girl friend who wanted Blose is out, and the CWs stayed.

Now back to business....I'd like to slowly build a Heritage HT in a 16X 21 room using the CWs as the front speakers. I've heard Heresys would make great surrounds (if I had the space would a 2nd set of CWs be better?). . What do you guys suggest for a sub and center channel (Heritage).

What are some well matched amps/recievers for this type of system.

Is there a way to do this w/o winning the lottery or becoming a drug lord?

KOZ

• Like 1

Arky,

I bought my CWs new in 1980. For some reason over I held on to them, even when I had young kids and didn't listen to them much. Now, I want to get back into audio and HT - sometning I've always wanted to do.

I'm curious- do the Heritage speakers sound better than the new Reference series? I wonder if it it the larger woofers and cabinets that make the difference.

Anyway, the pics I've seen of rooms using Heritage certainly have a "manly" look to them. They seem to turn any room into a batchelor pad look (not necessarily what I'm looking for since I'm an old fart)- but if the sound is that much better it might be worth it.

What have you heard-what is the draw to the Heritage line?

KOZ

• Like 1

Congrats on keeping the Corns. For most of us here, I guess the draw to Heritage is the sound. We LOVE the sound these speakers make. Heresys will do a good job but the closer you get to an all Cornwall system the better. Quartets and Fort'es go well with Corns and the recomended center from Klipsch is the Academy but if you can fit 3 Corns across the front, that would be ideal. I think that having a Heritage setup just says that a MAN lives here and that is not a bad thing. Bloes says that a WIMP lives here, take your choice[;)]

As to doing this without breaking the bank, if you stay with used Heratage and take your time, watch the papers and Epay, Craigs list, Audiogon, for local sales you can do it on the cheep. I paid $500 for my near mint Cornwall 2s OO, $450 for my Fort'e 1s black, $400 for the OO Quartets, $50 for the KG1 rears and $400 for a mint black Academy. Other speakers were $290 for a pair of modded Heresy 1s, and $300 for a pair of Heresy 2s in better than fair shape. All sales were local and no shipping was involved. It took about 2 1/2 years but I am done speaker shopping ...... for a while[;)]

Okay, the girl friend who wanted Blose is out, and the CWs stayed.

Now back to business....I'd like to slowly build a Heritage HT in a 16X 21 room using the CWs as the front speakers. I've heard Heresys would make great surrounds (if I had the space would a 2nd set of CWs be better?). . What do you guys suggest for a sub and center channel (Heritage).

What are some well matched amps/recievers for this type of system.

Is there a way to do this w/o winning the lottery or becoming a drug lord?

KOZ

I agree with Cal ... take your time and collect them used. As you point out, they are big so be patient and wait for ones that you can drive to pick up. This is an absolute condition for me and I've never had one problem with damage or hidden problems.

IMHO, Heritage is/was the best sounding gear ever made by Klipsch. The Reference series sounds amazing, but there's something about large boxes and 15" woofers that just can't be emulated by tall, narrow towers. Yes, the downside is that WAF/GFAF is low, but once my wife got used to the music, she'd never go back.

Surprisingly, the Klipschorns are the biggest speaker in the Heritage line but are the least intrusive on a room. They melt/disappear into corners (OK, maybe not disappear) and their footprint is actually better than the Cornwall because they use otherwise-unused corner space.

I can't recall but if you have two good corners (28") or more along a long wall in your HT room, I'd definitely wait for a clean pair of used Klipschorns to anchor the front. If you can't do that, the Cornwall or LaScala would be my next choice for front mains. Since you have your CW's already, there you go! If you can go with Khorns, then move the CW's to the side surrounds and find a Belle or LaScala for center.

My expenditures looked like the following:

Klipschorns, used: $1,750

Cornwalls, used: $1,000

Belle, used: $650

Heresies, used: $600

IOW, for $4000 spent over a period of two years, I have a Heritage HT that should do just fine [:D]

Chris

Chris- WAF/GFAF?

My dilema for the center.... a fireplace. I can't put anything on the floor. So the monitor is going up above the mantle and I need a center speaker that can fit on the wall under/over the monitor.

Regarding the Khorns- are they noticable better than CWs, even to a moderatly skilled ear (like mine?) I've always thought they looked cool - but have never hear them.

That brings up another issue for Heritage speakers - where can you find them to listen to? I'm in the Seattle, WA area if anyone has some ideas.

What a great forum!!

KOZ

• Like 1

Chris- WAF/GFAF?= Wife approval
factor / Girlfriend approval factor

My dilema for the center.... a fireplace. I can't put
anything on the floor. So the monitor is going up above the mantle and I need a
center speaker that can fit on the wall under/over the monitor.

It looks like the Academy is your center of choice then.

Regarding the Khorns- are they noticable better than CWs,
even to a moderatly skilled ear (like mine?) I've always thought they looked
cool - but have never hear them.

Many people like the sound of the Khorns better than the
CWs. The horn loaded bass bin sounds different than the direct radiating woofer
of the CW. Better? It is a matter of taste.

That brings up another issue for Heritage speakers - where
can you find them to listen to? I'm in the Seattle, WA
area if anyone has some ideas.

There are darn few places to hear Heritage speakers in a
store setting. The best you might be able to do is find someone close to you
and listen to what they have. On the other hand, if you love your CWs, you will
probably also love the Forte, and Quartets. The Heresy is the smallest of the direct
radiating woofer Heritage speaker line and they are a little shy on bass compared
to the above speakers, though they do sound very nice.

Chris- WAF/GFAF?

Regarding the Khorns- are they noticable better than CWs, even to a moderatly skilled ear (like mine?) I've always thought they looked cool - but have never hear them.

That brings up another issue for Heritage speakers - where can you find them to listen to? I'm in the Seattle, WA area if anyone has some ideas.

What a great forum!!

KOZ

KOZ, you really owe it to yourself to find a pair of Klipschorns to hear. As stated, they are DIFFERENT. They are among the most NIMBLE speakers I've ever heard, i.e., they can change sonic direction in a nanosecond. There is not much that can keep up with them (in terms of other speakers).

The CW's are wonderful but the bass reflex speaker is much different than the Klipschorn bass horn channel. When you hear them side by side, you'll know what I mean.

Anybody out there in Seattle with a killer Heritage system??????

Chris

re the center dilemma. How often do you use the fireplace? Certainly not the same time as the center speaker, right?

How about a little stand on wheels? When you want to light the fireplace, just put the center out of the way....

M

That is similar to what i've done. This summer I put my rc-7 is on a small ceramic pedastal directly in front of my fireplace. You can get an idea looking at my avatar. I'm not sure what i'll do this winter nor if it would pass any acceptance factor. I am between women at the moment but at this point in my life i'm seeking good sound not froo froo acceptance.

Also I think i'm going to install a plasma above the fireplace so my center can't go on the mantle, not that that is ideal anyway.

post-17658-13819310763008_thumb.jpg

Arky,

I bought my CWs new in 1980. For some reason over I held on to them, even when I had young kids and didn't listen to them much. Now, I want to get back into audio and HT - sometning I've always wanted to do.

I'm curious- do the Heritage speakers sound better than the new Reference series? I wonder if it it the larger woofers and cabinets that make the difference.

Anyway, the pics I've seen of rooms using Heritage certainly have a "manly" look to them. They seem to turn any room into a batchelor pad look (not necessarily what I'm looking for since I'm an old fart)- but if the sound is that much better it might be worth it.

What have you heard-what is the draw to the Heritage line?

KOZ

KOZ - good question

I don't have anywhere to listen to heritage either. When BEC worked on my CW's I listened to his cornscala 1's & 2's (a hybrid cornwall & lascala) and his lascalas. I thought the lascalas sounded better than any of them, however they had the best setup.

The reference 7's with dean's mod sound outstanding, maybe a little clearer (could be they are more forward & louder). The cornwall's have more bass and seem to present a wider soundstage. I haven't decided which I prefer so for the moment my cw's are up front & the rf-7's are in back. Surprisingly with a little tweaking, they mesh nicely.

I would buy a set of Bob's cornscalas if I good find someone to make grills for them. I don't want my dog smacking the drivers.

• Moderators

If you had say- $5-7K to spend on HT - would you spend it on Heritage speakers, and use the balance on some electronics or would you spend it all on one of the new Reference systems?

Easy question for me Heritage !

If you had say- $5-7K to spend on HT - would you spend it on Heritage speakers, and use the balance on some electronics or would you spend it all on one of the new Reference systems?

Easy question for me Heritage !

I agree. I would go all heritage & some nice electronics.

I listened to Saints and Soldiers and Sin City last night in Dolby Digital on my Home Theater with Heritage (mostly)...Heresy Popbumpered Academy...Heresy...Heresy...Heresy...Outlaw Audio LFM-1 Sub...WOW!...I would do the Heritage HT...very satisfied with it once it was dialed in!

Bill