Members Weekly Music Recommendations-Sept.18

grog

thebes is out of town this week.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of music as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp etc.)

So what do you have to share this week?

Here is my offering..

The Book of Secrets - Loreena McKennitt

Blending of Celtic folk, world, and new age.

# Audio CD (September 30, 1997)

# Original Release Date: September 30, 1997

Posted Image

1. Prologue

2. The Mummers'

3. Skellig

4. Marco Polo

5. The Highwayman

6. La Serenissima

7. Night Ride Across The Caucasus

8. Dante's Prayer

Greg's pick: Track #2 -- The Mummers'

Greg also likes track #4 -- Marco Polo.

You will be taken away by the shear beauty of this CD looking forward to the ever changing sounds as each song plays.

This CD is simply lovely!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loreena_McKennitt

McKennitt is often compared to Enya, but is more grounded in traditional and classical invocations using literary works as sources of lyrics and springboards for interpretation such as The Lady of Shalott by Lord Tennyson, Prospero's Speech, the final soliloquy in William Shakespeare's The Tempest, Snow by Archibald Lampman, William Blakes Prospero, intended for a dramatic piece of King Edward the fourth and The Highwayman by Alfred Noyes.

The official site for Loreena McKennitt and her private record label, Quinlan Road.

http://www.quinlanroad.com/

"A good traveller has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving."

Chinese philosopher Lao Tzu's words are a good introduction to the third album in a trilogy of musical travel documents that began with The Visit. Recorded at Peter Gabriel's Real World studios in England, The Book Of Secrets was written and researched all over the world, and, following its release in 1997, would go on to sell several million copies around the globe.

The album features a cast of over two dozen musical collaborators, and the eight songs contained therein, including North American hit single The Mummers Dance, leads the listener on unexpected journeys. Follow the music from ancient Byzantium to a puppet-maker's theatre in Sicily, or from the rocky island of Skellig Michael once inhabited by Irish monks in the Dark Ages to Venice and the journeys of Marco Polo, or from the tragic narrative of The Highwayman to the thunder of hooves across the Caucasus and the echoes of Dante s words found, unexpectedly, in a train journey across Siberia.

This might be my last one of these for awhile, So let's go:

BLIND FAITH ...............CD ........... 1969 .........

Eric Clapton ... Steve Winwood ... Ginger Baker ... Rich Grech ... the first of many of the so called SuperGroups...Four young ,diverse, talented musicians looking for an outlet for their musicial ideas and songs, tired of being stuck in a mold with the music they have already done.....well they found it here, six well crafted and performed songs worthy of Supergroup status........A vocalist who really is a voice of a generation, and just happens to play a pretty good keyboards, a Guitarist who was considered by many a superstar at the tender age of 17, a drummer's Drummer second to none, and a multi talented Bassist, what's not to like;

1 Had to Cry Today

2 Can't Find My Way Home

3 Well All Right

4 Presence of the Lord

5 Sea of Joy

6 Do What you Like

six great songs, well written, well played pieces of music.......One album and gone....but.. never forgotten....this is a Rock Classic and should be part of every Rock collection......Many supergroups have come and gone, many sold more albums, many got more airplay......but they can never touch this group of talented men....None...

For all the Blues/Rock lovers out there I'm gonna suggest you take a chance and taste real talent that never sold out.Said by Muddy Waters and many more to be one of the best blues artist ever.

Rory Gallagher-"Rory Gallagher" his first lp after leaving Taste.Most of his work has been remastered and sound quality is very good.

post-9397-1381931073609_thumb.jpg

For all the Blues/Rock lovers out there I'm gonna suggest you take a chance and taste real talent that never sold out.Said by Muddy Waters and many more to be one of the best blues artist ever.

Rory Gallagher-"Rory Gallagher" his first lp after leaving Taste.Most of his work has been remastered and sound quality is very good.

Heres a talent that never received his DUE RESPECT.......it's a shame !!!!! ..........Another FENDER BENDER...........

Great CD for sure.

Thing is the remastered edition which is simply called "Blind Faith (Deluxe)" has even more great Blind Faith...

Two CD's with a total of 15 songs!

If you love Blind Faith you need to get a hold of the Deluxe version.

The Jam sessions on disc 2 alone make this a must have CD.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000056JYB/ref=m_art_pr_3/102-0724420-5247323?ie=UTF8

Disc: 1

1. Had To Cry Today

2. Can't Find My Way Home

3. Well All Right

4. Presence Of The Lord

5. Sea Of Joy

6. Do What You Like

7. Sleeping In The Ground (Previously Unreleased Mix)

8. Can't Find My Way Home (Electric Version) (Previously Unreleased Mix)

9. Acoustic Jam (Previously Unreleased)

10. Time Winds (Previously Unreleased)

11. Sleeping In The Ground (Slow Blues Version) (Previously Unreleased)

Disc: 2

1. Jam No.1: Very Long & Good Jam (Previously Unreleased)

2. Jam No.2: Slow Jam #1 (Previously Unreleased)

3. Jam No.3: Change Of Address Jam (Previously Unreleased)

4. Jam No.4: Slow Jam #2 (Previously Unreleased)

Eric Clapton ... Steve Winwood ... Ginger Baker ... Rich Grech ... the first of many of the so called SuperGroups...Four young ,diverse, talented musicians looking for an outlet for their musicial ideas and songs, tired of being stuck in a mold with the music they have already done.....well they found it here, six well crafted and performed songs worthy of Supergroup status........A vocalist who really is a voice of a generation, and just happens to play a pretty good keyboards, a Guitarist who was considered by many a superstar at the tender age of 17, a drummer's Drummer second to none, and a multi talented Bassist, what's not to like;

1 Had to Cry Today

2 Can't Find My Way Home

3 Well All Right

4 Presence of the Lord

5 Sea of Joy

6 Do What you Like

six great songs, well written, well played pieces of music.......One album and gone....but.. never forgotten....this is a Rock Classic and should be part of every Rock collection......Many supergroups have come and gone, many sold more albums, many got more airplay......but they can never touch this group of talented men....None...

Box Set - Thread - Release date:

02/07/1998

Acoustic / Electric Guitar duo that mix up various styles of music to produce something fresh and new (rock, soft rock)

CD

0073145362522_500X500.jpg

Back To You

spacer.gif

Every Moment

spacer.gif

Valentine

spacer.gif

A Little Colder

spacer.gif

Train

spacer.gif

Amsterdam

spacer.gif

Eighteen Days Of Rain

spacer.gif

One Step

spacer.gif

How Could I Lie?

spacer.gif

Falling

spacer.gif

Compound

spacer.gif

Sleep

Overall a great CD that I can listen to the whole thing without skipping a track (hard for me to do this). There is such craftmanship in this music, no "wall of sound" just genuine good musicianship paired with honest sounding mixing.

Back to you, Valentine, Train, Amsterdam, and Compound are so far my favorite tracks.

Great CD for sure.

Thing is the remastered edition which is simply called "Blind Faith (Deluxe)" has even more great Blind Faith...

Two CD's with a total of 15 songs!

If you love Blind Faith you need to get a hold of the Deluxe version.

The Jam sessions on disc 2 alone make this a must have CD.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000056JYB/ref=m_art_pr_3/102-0724420-5247323?ie=UTF8

Disc: 1

1. Had To Cry Today

2. Can't Find My Way Home

3. Well All Right

4. Presence Of The Lord

5. Sea Of Joy

6. Do What You Like

7. Sleeping In The Ground (Previously Unreleased Mix)

8. Can't Find My Way Home (Electric Version) (Previously Unreleased Mix)

9. Acoustic Jam (Previously Unreleased)

10. Time Winds (Previously Unreleased)

11. Sleeping In The Ground (Slow Blues Version) (Previously Unreleased)

Disc: 2

1. Jam No.1: Very Long & Good Jam (Previously Unreleased)

2. Jam No.2: Slow Jam #1 (Previously Unreleased)

3. Jam No.3: Change Of Address Jam (Previously Unreleased)

4. Jam No.4: Slow Jam #2 (Previously Unreleased)

1 Had to Cry Today

2 Can't Find My Way Home

3 Well All Right

4 Presence of the Lord

5 Sea of Joy

6 Do What you Like

I picked this album (CD) up on BMG Music Club a while back and I will definitely concur. The disc 2 jams are worth the purchase and an excellent bonus. Great, great CD. The Deluxe version.

The Rutles--lp

This is the album by the Eric Idle creation The Rutles. Still the best rock parody/satire film ever made. Compleat songs by the Pre-fab Four, and the lp comes with a great booklet insert with interviews and lyrics.

If you didn't know better you would swear you are listening to the Beatles...........

I'll jump on the Rory Gallagher bandwagon--

Funny, I hadn't gotten any of his stuff because I didn't like the samples I'd heard on a few sites. but I looked back into him because of this thread--

I downloaded both of his live albums from the early 70's, and they are both rippers. What a show this guy put on! Great blues rock riffing and vocals-- He pounds out short blues blasts and when he stretches out for the longer songs he plays evocatively--

d79039p6v76.jpg

d63746tyax5.jpg

I think his sometimes off kilter vocals in the studio turned me off before, but on these performances he is obviously pumped up and the energy in the guitar playing and his vocals is riveting--

Highly recommended--