lynnm

Another Look at age and the appreciation of music...

Those of us who have seen a few extra years slip by, may have experienced some changes in our hearing ability. But also we have watched our music system change and mature. We may have been exposed to a wider spectrum of music through the years and have spent more time perfecting our listening skills.

I remenber a visit to an art museum. As I studied the paintings and felt enriched by the expreience, I began to wonder about the other people attending the museum that day. Were they equally inpressed or perhaps expreiencing a different kind of connection to the artwork that I might be missing. As I watched them, I discoveded that some seemed more at home than I. More fimiliar with that which was less obvious to me in the paintings. Those who have taken an art history/appreciation course may see what I'm getting at. Music enjoyment like the enjoyment of art may have many levels. Some may come only with experience and exposure to an ever changing music system and spectrum of music taste. That may take time.

This is just 2 cents from a guy who's a doubble nickel.

I'm 47 and my hearing and music taste have changed.

My ears aren't what they used to be because I played drums in rock bands from '67 to '89. One of the bass players I used to work with still insists that I was 'The world's loudest drummer'...lol. I did play hard most of the time and I'm sure it has affected my hearing over the years. Of course back in the early days the guitar players mostly had amps which had a lower wattage and we didn't have the huge PA systems and monitors blasting in my ears, but that's the way I liked it! Yep, I sure remember the old Sear's 'Silvertones', 'Fender Twin Reverbs' and assorted other amps such as VOX, Ampeg and Sun. But as a result I have a constant ringing in both my ears but I can still tell quailty hifi equipment when I hear it. Thank God I can still enjoy my favorite hobby.

As far as my music tastes, I used to like many of the hard rock and heavy metal bands of the '60s and '70s. I did listen to top 40 at times until the genre was permanetly corrupted by disco in the late '70s. I never went back to that format and never will. Presently,I still like the classic rock bands (the stuff that isn't worn out) and enjoy jazz and Celtic music with classical piano and guitar on occasions. Also,the roots of bluegrass hold my interest at times. I don't listen to country at all because there is nothing there to enjoy in a 'critical listening ' aspect. I'm in a R&R redux right now and discovering alot of the great bands that existed in the '60s and 70's that I wasn't aware of at the time.

I hope to continue discovering great music and upgrading my equipment...that is if my hearing holds on.

A great question BTW,lynnm. :-)

Olaf, I also played drums (country & rock)in bands between '73 & '87 - then I DJed for about another 6-7 years. When I got done DJing I usually went home & tuned into MTV's Headbangers Ball (needed it after a night of playing that '80s & '90s dance music). You remember MTV don't you? - that all music station that actually used to play nothing but music videoes. Anyway, I'm still a classic rock kind of guy. I occaisionally listen to some old jazz-fusion type music. What I really get into these days is blues music (the 3 Kings - Albert, B.B. & Freddy, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Delbert McClinton etc.) And I too have that constant ringing in my ears. But I can still tell the difference between good sound and less than good sound. Just think, 20 years from now some of these younger listeners will look back at some of today's bands, groups & singers as "classic".

LEW

lovedrummin

Are drums the most fun to play or what??!! I sure have aot of fond memories from my active years as a drummer. Even though I quit playing in live situations in the late '80s,I have done some studio work for some folks in the past few years and I still get offers.

It's a shame how we lost so many of the great American drum companies in the early '80s. Once the **** starting dumping their kits on the market,our drums manufacturers just couldn't compete with the subsidized kits. We lost Rogers,Fibes and Slingerland and I haven't heard anything about Gretsch in a long time. Even though Gibson bought the Slingerland name and started making the drums again I don't think they're doing much to promote them. I broke down and bought a new Slingerland kit last year to spark my interest again but they are mostly collecting dust. They're still built like a tank btw. and were always my favorite. My first kit was a Radio King which Slingerland made and still had the calfskin heads and the real 'pearl' finish which is against environmental laws to use now.. What a beautiful sound they had. I wish I would not have sold them in the mid-70s as they are now a sought after collectors item. I then bought a new Slingerland kit and used them until '82 when I needed a bigger set. I wanted a Fibes but they were put out of buisness and I had to settle for a Tama Imperial Star kit. I must say they have very good hardware and could take my assaults with my 2-S drumsticks..lol.

I remember the Headbangers Ball on MTV but my interest in heavy metal was vanishing at the time(still like the first few Black S.albums though) and I didn't watch it often. How could I ever forget to mention the 'blues.' I love that stuff and always did. The 3 Kings for certain,The Allman Brtothers,Stevie Ray and the 'Worlds Greatest' unknown guitar player,Roy Buchanan. He is probably my favorite bluesman. I wish he was still alive and putting out new stuff. I truly believe he was about ready to 'break out' and get the recognition he deserved. What a tragic loss.

Keep on drummin' :-)

quote:

A great Gretsch drum is made the way a great drummer is made - by hand, out of hard work and knowledge... out of sweat and love of music. In 1883, Friedrich Gretsch knew that the best way to make a drum is by hand wit the best materials available. Since then, every blend of natural wood and heavy gauge metal, hand crafted in the USA with American parts. And that's the way Gretsch drums will always be made - in this century and into the next

How sweet it is! What great drums they are!

Thanks Marvel!

• Like 1

After having read all these comments about age and music and equipment, I thought I'd add my two cents worth. My equipment has pretty much stayed the same for almost 25 years. A pair of Cornwalls I bought when I was 25, a Pioneer SX1050 receiver and a Harman Kardon turntable. Over the years I did add a cd player. Now I'm "upgrading" to a home theatre setup. But you know the old setup still sounds good to me. But I do love movies.

As for music lets take a look at what cds are in the truck - a 15 year old female blues guitarist (Shannon Curfman), Schoolboys in Disgrace (Kinks), a Cheryl Crow cd, Dark Side of the Moon by - I shouldn't have to say, Train, and a few cd's I recorded off Napster after my son showed me how.

I don't think age has anything to do with what you like. Something just moves you, touches you. The only drawback is that my son hates it that I like some of what he likes. I think that's why he started listening to rap. He knew I didn't care for it - but have you heard that group Nelly? LOL

Don

Thanks for the kind comments Jim C. I blush.

I just try to call'em like I see'em.

I'd still like to know a bit about the original head butt.

I will admit to being a bit established in my own taste in music. But I listen and give things a chance. If anything, suggestions on this BBS are a good source.

One of my favorite finds is "Songs of West Side Story". A Grammy Winner.

I bought it for "Tonight" and pretty much only that, after listening on the headphones at Borders.

The other tracks seemed too radical at first, second, and third listening. But now I enjoy it all. Except for Little Richard doing "I'm Pretty."

I don't like a lot of recent pop. I do like some country.

One thing I don't do is criticize other people's taste in music. If you turn on to it, fine. Who am I to judge. It is important that you find something you like and enjoy.

Gil

OLAF, You're right, playing drums was always a blast. I know what you mean about the Japanese drum companies, although I must admit I currently own a 1987 set of Tama Superstar drums. I don't play much any more, but I can't seem to part with them. The first set of drums I ever bought was a 1973 Rogers set. I still have the Rogers Dynasonic snare (chrome shell) that came with the set. It has that heavy snare bridge on it. I'll never part with that baby - what a great rock drumming snare. Marvel is right, Gretsch also made good quality drums. For some reason I always associated them with jazz drummers - which isn't a bad thing. I do believe that Charlie Watts of the Stones played Gretsch. I think what happened in the '60s, is alot of guys saw Mr.Starkey behind those Ludwigs & had to have them. I think I went after the Rogers because Buddy Rich played them at one time & I was a big fan of his.

You're also right about Roy Buchanan. He had alot of finesse. Some of his lighter touches reminded me alot of B.B. King. He could say so much with very few notes. And then he could let that guitar rip. I was fortunate to see him play around '86 or '87 at Merriweather Post Pavillion in Columbia,Md. Also on the bill was Fabulous Thunderbirds with Jimmy Vaughn on guitar and Jimmy's little brother Stevie Ray as the headliner. What an evening of blues that was. Well I guess I've managed to take this post in a different direction. Sorry folks - just trippin' down memory lane. That's also one of nice things about aging - there are alot of fond memories. Also with my Klipsch speakers listening to some of this older music is like hearing it all over again for the first time. Did I manage to bring this full circle? Wink.gif

LEW

Olaf and lovedrummin - I too am a "drummer". I use quotes, because actually I am a percussionist - I used to play all the instruments - from Marimba in a jazz band, to concert snare in a symphonic orchestra. My last organized drumming was on the Arizona State Drum Line - that was a blast! But my favorite was always drum set. My grandfather was also a jazz drummer, and gave me his set. It is a 1966 Slingerland, and I believe it has that pearl finish you are talking about. When he gave it to me, it still had the calfskin head on the floor tom, but at that time I was in Jr. High, and very quickly ripped that head during a "jam" session. Now I have Remo Ebony series, but I want to replace them with those Remo synthetic calf skin heads (I can't remember their names right now) to get back that warm sound.

I think this is why I love Klipsch speakers so much - they bring out the live sound of music - the sound that I am used to hearing, from playing so much live music.

By the way (back to the original post), I am 27, and I already have some hearing loss, but I am now trying to preserve my hearing so that I can enjoy this hobby for years to come. I have learned to appreciate the finer gear, but I am only beginning. Who knows what I will have in 20 years!

Bryan

------------------

"... But Honey - I promise this is the last thing I will have to buy for the Home Theater"

Mistubishi VS60603 60" RPTV

Denon AVR 3802 Receiver

Denon DVM 1800 DVD Changer

JVC 3600U SVHS VCR

RCA DirecTV Satellite Tuner

Klipsch RB5 - Mains

Klipsch RC3 - Center

Klipsch RCW3 - In-wall Surrounds

Velodyne SPL1200 Subwoofer

Monster HTS1000 Power Conditioner

Acoustic Research Pro Series Interconnects

bacevedo

The heads your referring to are the Remo 'Fibreskyns.' I just reheaded mine a few months ago and narrowed my choice down to the Evans G2s or the Fibreskyns. It was a tough choice but I went with the coated G2s on top and Remo clear Ambassadors on the bottom. I was looking for a more traditional sound for jazz,blues and oldies. I don't think they're as warm as the Fibreskyns but they have a nice feel and mellowness to them. I believe either head would have suitable. I used Evans 'Glass Rocks' for years but after they came out with the new cad-cam design in the mid-'80s I didn't think they sounded as good as the old epoxy hoops. Of course,in the '60s and early '70s there wasn't as much of a choice. About all there was were the traditional Remo And Evans heads. 3 different weights in coated or clear. '66 was a very good year for Slingerlands.:-)

lovedrummin

You're the proud owner of a Rogers Dynasonic snare. Never,never part with it. To this day,it was the finest snare I ever played on. We had them in Junior High and I can still remember the feel and sound of the snare, absolutlely wonderful. I should have bought one but money was tight for a 13 year old. I always loved Roger's stuff but for some reason I was attached to Slingerland. You're right about the Gretsch and jazz drummers. Ludwig won the marketing battle and most rock drummers used them. Of course they supplied Ringo's set and got tremendous exposure. I liked their drums alot but the hardware had alot to be desired. I preferred their 'Speed King' pedals but I was always breaking them. I use a DW 5000 now. Especially the footboard and the metal strap than connected the board to the beater cam. Always wanted to try a 'Ghost' but I never did. Ludwigs stands were always breaking for me too and rather lightweight. Even when they came out with the heavyweight 'Atlas' stands in the mid '70s,I had a problem with the threads stripping. I have a few 'Cobham' albums on vinyl and dust them off now and then. I can remember the 'clinic' he used to put on when he played for 'The Mahavishnu Orchestra'...unbelievable. Another good example of a good drum recording is Ginger Baker on the Blind Faith album. His solo on 'Do what You Want' sounds as though it's right in the room.(especially on the Klipsch)...:-)

One thing about 'Pearl' and 'Tama' sets. They were the ones who made the kits for the mailorder houses(Sears,Speigle,Aldens etc) in the '60s and early '70. You could tell which company made them by the shells. Pearl shells were thin with the re-enforcing hoops and Tama had the thicker shells with no hoops. It was the hardware that made those kits so bad.

Sorry folks...it's all my fault this thread got off subject but I can't resist talking about drums(eventhough it contributed to my hearing loss)...:-)

I was warned by my Guidance Counselor in 8th grade. I was in my first band then and we played at a dance at the J.H. and he was there that night. On Monday,he called me in his office and explained to me about the 'Occupational Hazard' of hearing loss. Of course,being a smart-assed 13 year old at the time I sort of thought...'Ah hell,he's probably right but what do old guys know?'.....lol .... You were right Mr. C.!!

Olaf, I'm going to have to dig out my Blind Faith album. I was fortunate enough to see Ginger Baker on Cream's last tour in the US - Nov '68 Baltimore Civic Center. Needless to say I was amazed & mesmerized. I also saw Cobham play in a jazz rock/fusion group called Dreams while I was at Salisbury State College in MD. They played on campus (@ '70-'71) - I had no idea who these guys were or what they would go on to when I saw them or I would have payed closer attention. Randy & Michael Brecker played horns in Dreams. Around the same time period I also saw the New York Rock and Roll Ensemble at Salisbury. They had a guy named Michael Kamen in their midst. Kamen must score half the movies released these days. Back to Cobham - in the '80s I saw him at the Irvine Auditorium on Penn Campus with Jack Bruce, Clem Clemson & David Sanciuos. Cobham had that triple bass drum Tama set with the sunburst finish. It just drove me nuts watching this guy play with complete four limb independence - first he leads with the right then he leads with the left. I was always happy just to be able to anchor the beat. I'll save Bernard "Pretty" Purdie for another time. Anyway, now you know why I couldn't buy good speakers back then - I was spending all my money on concert tickets.Biggrin.gif

LEW

This message has been edited by lovedrummin on 11-26-2001 at 10:50 PM