??? on some of the jazz i bought

joessportster

hello all again, i have a few minutes again and a question or 2, i have been looking through some of the 10" records i bought in the lot and have found quite a few that seem to be promo copies or maybe test pressings, an example would be a record labled

the master sound system with an emblem, the label is light blue in color, and the artist (Jabro Smith) written in hand script along with the list of songs written in hand script. it is a 78 that says it was manufactured in colnbrook, bucks england no date just a stamped number 6051

question is how in the world would a person find a relative value on this type record, i just spent 80.00 on books that help with some albums but i havent seen anything that would even mention this type pressing??????????

Joe

Hi Joe,

I think the problem is that most of us here are speaker enthusiasts not vinyl experts (although there may be a few that have not come forward yet). With that said, give the following website a try, in particular the forum section. You will probably have more success getting your questions answered. I hope this helps.

William

http://www.recordcollectorsguild.org/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=44&page=1

i think you should pay a little more attention or perhaps hang around a little longer and you will see there are several vinyl experts on this forum thats why i posted the question here, because this is where we usually discuss such topics there are also several audio experts in general that have a great deal of knowledge in everything audio not just speakers,

that said i appreciate the website and will look at it thanks Joe

hello all again, i have a few minutes again and a question or 2, i have been looking through some of the 10" records i bought in the lot and have found quite a few that seem to be promo copies or maybe test pressings, an example would be a record labled

the master sound system with an emblem, the label is light blue in color, and the artist (Jabro Smith) written in hand script along with the list of songs written in hand script. it is a 78 that says it was manufactured in colnbrook, bucks england no date just a stamped number 6051

question is how in the world would a person find a relative value on this type record, i just spent 80.00 on books that help with some albums but i havent seen anything that would even mention this type pressing??????????

Joe

These sorts of things generally have little or no value. The best way to determine the value is to pop one up on ebay at $1 with no reserve and see what happens.

I have no idea who Jabro Smith is.

Now if you had a test pressing of a Robert Johnson 78, then you might have something!

Unlikely to be, strictly speaking, test pressings. A test pressing is made in order to get final check and approval before a big stamping run.

Your things are more likely one-offs or limited to a run of several pieces. Could be the artist wanted a way to hear himself on record, so a record was made for him. Just about any studio in the old days could cut a record like this, usually an acetate (aluminum disc coated with vinyl). Such a thing is also called a reference disc, because someone refers to it. Studios would cut these before cassettes became popular, and then cassettes were abandoned when CD burners were invented. That way the artist could take it home and play it easily.

As to value, it's all artist dependent. There are literally thousands of recordings made that no one is interested in except the artists themselves and their parents, to every one record that is a hit. You might be lucky and have some kind of obscure record that is worth thousands, but more likely you'll have an obscure record that no one wants. It's the exact same thing for books. Most old books are worthless and cannot even be given away. You have to pay someone to haul them off. On the other hand, some old books are worth millions.

How do you learn if the artist in question is important? An internet search would tell you if he is. But if nothing comes up, he still might be important but just really rare. I think you'd have to consult the brains of old record collectors and ask around at shows, if you can find any oldtimers. Normal record collectors and rock dealers wouldn't have a clue.

thanks guys i apprecviate the responses, i am actually contemplating keeping most of this collection as they are basically mint for the most part there are of course some i will be parting ways with if i were to keep all them i would have in the neighborhood of 10,000 albums and that seems alot to deal with anyway back to the search

Joe

• 3 years later...

Hello Joe, I hope you get to read this because I only just came across your question three years after you asked it !!!

I hope you did keep the old records you refer to because they do sound pretty rare and interesting. The MSS 10" you mention would probably be an acetate disc - certainly rare but only of interest if the artist is 'collectable' - and in this case what you have must be by Jabbo (not Jabro) Smith, who rivalled Louis Armstrong as the most dazzling trumpet player in jazz back in the late 1920s and early 1930s.

If you check out Smith's entry in Wikipedia, you'll get an idea of what a significant musician he was !

As to value, I'm certainly not well-informed enough to hazard a guess but I strongly urge you to email Mr. John Tefteller (john@tefteller.com) who is the leading authority on pre-war blues 78s and, even if he isn't quite so clued up on jazz 78s, he most certainly will know of somebody who is and will point you in the right direction !

Good hunting !

- Graham.

thanks guys i apprecviate the responses, i am actually contemplating keeping most of this collection as they are basically mint for the most part there are of course some i will be parting ways with if i were to keep all them i would have in the neighborhood of 10,000 albums and that seems alot to deal with anyway back to the search

Joe

Joe, 10,000 WOW... how did you get so many so fast ? I thought I just about cleaned you out. How has your taste in music changed ?

Acetates are still popular today in Jamaica (and by default, here in the bigger cities), and have been for years. A little history: Jamaican Sound Systems are connected to specific record labels (of which there are many), and as such, the competition between systems/labels can be intense. They record an acetate which is called a dub plate, or special, and is a
one off of a particular artist singing specifically about the sound
system that's backing them. Usually, a dance will be promoted as a battle between two rival sound systems, each with it's own roster of well known artists. Each Sound has it's own speakers, amps, and selector (what we would call a DJ) and play dub plates which feature hit songs that have been slightly modified by the artist to talk up the Sound. There are several factors which determine a "winner". The quality of the audio (bass to stop your heart), the creativity and skill of the selector, and the quality of the specials. Songs are very rarely if ever run for their whole length, either being started again (with a liberal use of sound effects and echo while re-starting the song (sometimes several times)), or cut short while mixing in the next cut, to keep things interesting. It's a good time, as long as no bottles get thrown, or firearms get discharged (can you say stampede?).