Heresy-II's, Pair, HBR, Rosewood Stain/ Finish, For Sale

Groomlakearea51

Edited to take into account the issue with the "megaman" toy attack on the K-24 woofer further discussed in this posting.

I have just finished a long overdue "project" on refinishing an old pair of H-II's. [:)]

After reading that Forum members have asked that anyone who is going to sell Klipsch speakers, to please post them to the Forum first before putting them on eBay, etc., it is so done as asked.

These may be particularly attractive to a new member looking for a good pair of Heresy's and on a limited budget.

IInterested folks can call me at 863-634-7038 (24/7) or email me direct at ocsosheriff1@okeechobee.com

KLIPSCH HERESY-II, PR, HBR, EX-, REFINISHED

Model HBR, Serial Numbers: 8559091 & 8559092 Manufactured in December 1985. Considered as one of the finest stereo speaker systems, the Heresy's have been in constant production since 1957.

Condtion: (EDITED)Very Good (WERE EXCELLENT MINUS UNTIL THE MEGAMAN TOY STRIKE...). I am the second owner. Original owner finished them with an oil based rosewood stain, however, over time (21 years...) the stain had dried out, and the stain was losing it's natural dark hue; The original owner also had several corner "dings", and a few, almost undetectable scratches that were apparently filled at the time of his original staining. I have lightly sanded them (first with 220 & then with 300 with a random orbital finishing sander), and applied another coat of the original type of rosewood stain/finish.Cabinets and internal braces were inspected. Bracing is tight and the glue is not dried out, etc. Cabinets are "square", generally no seam or edge separations.Standard black grill cloth with the original copper emblems; Cloth is excellent. All of the grill cloth has been lightly cleaned with steam, and looks like new.

The serial number sheets are intact, are factory stapled and glued on the rear of the speakers. Due to age, etc., there are imperfections and tears on these sheets. The serial numbers, etc., however, are clear.

Drivers are original and (EDITED: with the one exception with a non-perforating gouge on one of the K-24 woofer coning material), are otherwise in perfect condition. Drivers were removed, inspected, and tested. Each driver was tested with a multi-meter for proper resistance, etc. Drivers are as follows:

Bass: K-24-K; Manufacture Date Code 8540 (September 1985); Black Frame

Midrange: K-53-K; Manufacture Date Code 8544 (late September, early October 1985);

Midrange Horn: Plastic K-701's (Factory original type for H-II's)

Tweeter & Horn Assembly: K-76-K; No codes shown

Crossover: Standard Type H-II; No Numbers; Crossover Frequencies: 700/6000.

I chose these particular Klipsch Heresy's for a project because (1) This pair of cabinets had an unusual wood pattern; (2) few "dings", very few scratches, (3) drivers were virtually perfect condition, and (4) other than a light re-staining to bring out the wood pattern, were in otherwise very nice condition.

These are actually quite beautiful, especially in natural light, due to the aggressive (and unusual) grain patterns. The rosewood stain really brings out these patterns, particularly on the tops and the front edge banding. They appear to be almost like a "burl" in appearance, and the edge banding changes hue when viewed from different angles.

Driver boards were redone with a fresh coat of textured flat enamel, and the drivers and crossovers were re-installed with new gaskets. Gaskets are a 20 mil thick, compressible Felpro material, rather than closed cell foam. The original foam gasket material was commercial "weather stripping" (per Klipsch Parts...). Unfortunately, foam weather stripping will deteriorate with age, and will eventually turn into a sticky mess.... Felpro material is flexible, does not decompose over time, and seals speaker drivers and cabinet enclosures very well. In addition, it can be removed immediately if you want to remove the drivers for refinishing, etc. I've used it on my Klipschorn's, LaScalas, etc., and it works perfectly.

The speakers will also come with:

(1) A complete, detailed, refinishing procedures instruction paper, just in case the buyer wants to finish them again with another stain, or veneer them.

(2) A copy of the Klipsch Factory Heresy-II instructions

I collect and refinish Klipsch speakers as my "WAF" (wife acceptance factor...) approved hobby. I do not make any money, profit, etc. I'm satisfied to only obtain my costs incurred during the project. I don't charge for "labor", or attempt to sell my Klipsch "project" speakers at whatever I think the "market price" will bear.

This pair was my next project and the project is now completed. The the project cost - $326. Minus $50 for the "incident" yesterday with the K-24.... Packing is $22 for new styrofoam boards and new "dish" type heavy duty boxes from UPS. Shipping is, of course, dependent upon your location, as calculated by the eBay shipping calculator (which is very accurate), unless you pick them up.

NOTES: POWER REQUIREMENTS, CARE AND CLEANING:

The Klipsch Heresy's are a very efficient speaker. 1 watt at 1 meter will produce 96-97 decibels of sound...... Bottom line, you do not need a very "big" amplifier. Maximum amplifier input, per Klipsch, is only 100 watts.

An amplifier with 70-75 watts per channel will be more than sufficient to drive them without getting arrested for disturbing the peace. Volume "4" out of 10 with a good quality 80 watt amplifier will drive your wife, kids, dogs, cats, large farm animals (and the neighbors) for cover .... The amplifier, however, must be of good quality, relatively low distortion and be able to produce peak power of at least 100 watts (RMS).

Klipsch speakers are not only efficient, they also reproduce sound with absolute and brutal clarity. Poor amplifier quality, poor input source, crappy LP's, cassettes, CD's... you will hear it!.... Guaranteed!!...

Owners should treat vintage Klipsch speakers as good quality furniture. They are made from furniture grade birch plywood. Klipsch Heresy's came (and still do) with various very high quality, furniture grade veneers.

This pair, specifically, are birch plywood, with birch veneer. Originally they were classified as "unfinished" or "BR" (the "BR" in the model description means - Birch, Raw). They have been stained with a high quality, oil based, rosewood stain.

They can be further stained and/or sealed to darken or change the hue to a more "reddish" or a more "golden" or brown color, dependent upon the interior decor of the room. A buyer with little or no experience in wood finishing should generally consult with a professional furniture refinisher, before applying different stains, or application of a final sealant (should be a high quality, commercial grade polyurethane, varnish, or clear laquer, etc.). They can also be re-veneered with other woods. Again, unless you are familiar with veneering, you should consult a professional cabinet maker or carpenter before doing this.

You do not necessarily need to seal them, you can simply apply a very light coat of a quality furniture oil such as Watco Oil, tung oil, etc. every six months or a year. Over time, however, wood that is stained will tend to lighten, and oiling will protect the wood, and retain the hue.

PURCHASING OPTIONS:

OPTION - A. Bring your money order or bank cashier's check and pick them up in Okeechobee, FL 34972 (Directions will be provided if you so choose to do this). Prior to "turn-over", to you, they will be demonstrated. Bring a CD of your choice for testing; If you are not happy, then simply go home and keep looking. If you live within a 100 mile radius of Okeechobee, this is the least expensive way.

OPTION - B. Send the Cashier's Check or Money Order with the packing & shipping costs. Packing is $22 as described and shipping is determined on your zip code from 34972. Calculate on a 18" x 18" x 24 box that weighs 51 pounds x two boxes.

First thing.... I have damaged one of the woofers while taking the grills off to take pictures; took the grill off, laid the speaker down on it's back, walked away to answer the phone, told everyone "don't go near it", and my 8 year old came and looked and dropped his "megaman" toy on the woofer cone; [:'(]

Result: shallow gouge, approximately 1" long near outer edge at 8:00 o'clock position. After much crying on my part.... I removed it, checked, and applied some coning repair latex (from my old JBL 4311 days...) on the back side (just in case). It's dried, flexible, cannot detect any sound problems, etc. [:(]

Result: Cosmetics, and I don't have a spare K-24.

Solution; I am taking the pictures now, and will reduce the price from $326 to $275 just in case someone still wants them.

I don't blame anyone for not wanting them now, and if no-one wants them, off they go on top of the bookshelves with the other HWO's for the living room. Oh well.....

Eventually I'll find another good pair of K-24's, replace them (if you do one, you might as well do the other one...) and try this again.

WAF comments: My wife said. "oh dear, but they still look so pretty".... [:S]

Pictures will follow as soon as I can figure out how to load them on the forum.[:$]

Try these steps. If it still doesn't work find the infamous Klipsch "Amy"; she has some miracle power that will allow you to post.

Do these steps

first save your image as a small Jpeg. to do this save the image in your "my pictures" folder. right click on the image and click the resize. pick the smallest setting and that will add a copy of the image in that folder as a small jpeg. then go to the thread and hit reply; next

"click" options at the top of the thread

"click" Add/Update

"click" browse

go to your my pictures folder and find the small image

"doubl click" the photo

Hit the "save" button

then hit the "post" button only once

"Don't preview the posting or it won't work

Hope this helps.