NAD C542 is a no go, how about the Cambridge Audio Azur 640c?

RTTR

My dealer says he won't beable to get his hands on a C542 CD Player for a few weeks, to be honest I'm tired of waiting. So how about the 640c instead?

Unless someone knows where I can get the NAD C542 online from an authorized dealer.

I found a place called Harvey Home Entertainment, they are located in Manhattan. They are an authorized dealer according to NAD's website, has anyone heard of them? They look pretty good.

I can order the C542 online from there.

I don't have any experience with either of those companies, though I have heard a lot of good things about both of their products, but with such a major purchase as this, I really wouldn't be trying to rush it any.

Wow, I can't believe I just said that. Me, the one who will purchase a new piece of equipment at the drop of a hat whenever I have some money burning a whole in my pocket.

• Like 1

Bought a NAD C542 a month ago. My Technics died and I foolishly purchased a Panasonic. The aural difference, increase of distortion was terrible. Bought the NAD and I can listen to CD's on my Klipschorns without getting a headache,

If you can wait for the NAD you will be pleased with it.

Norm

I'm sure the NAD is a great player, but I have no experience with it. I do own the older, 1st generation azur 640C and I'm quite pleased with its sonic characteristics. I can only imagine the latest version (2.0) 640C is even better, and can be found at AudioAdvisor.com for cheap!

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

while I do like my 542, i wish I would have bought an SACD compatible player instead of an HDCD compatible player. I also feel that it sounds a bit bright with my H3's. truthfully I dont listen to it much since my Pro-Ject turntable purchase.

Why buy something for a dead technology, can you honestly make a list of HDCD and SACD's that goes past 2 pages?

Now that you have your Project Clarence you know for sure vinyl is not dead but unless you like all kinds of music but limited titles SACD will be dead as it never caught on and the Big's just stopped production from deep within any genre's catalogs!

It does sound great and with that said you might just find 1 or maybe even a couple hundred titles but then that will be it unless a few more new titles trickle down. If you want SACD buy one of the very cheap ones as they sound good for the limited # of titles. I just can't justify 3 to 5 grand for a high dollar rig that I might have 200 disc to play on!

Only my .02 Clarence[;)]