OT- Dental Crowns

colterphoto1

Phil, no, he did some work on it before cementing it into place. He also tied a knot in floss and tested each side to make sure flossing was possible.

One other oddity is that my own teeth have deep cusps with sharp peeks, this crown has about half the height of undulations, even then he ground it down a bit and GROUND ON THE GOOD TOOTH ABOVE so my bite was correct.

I questioned grinding on a good tooth, thinking, 'if this thing were made correctly he shouldnt have to do that!'

Am I being too picky for $800? I thought this would look like one of my natural teeth.

M

Hi Michael,

Cost is about what I pay in Virginia. For that I would expect it to be what you needed. As for the color it seems that he would have color matched that better. My dentist matched it to my natural color. Afterwards I thought I might have liked to had it lighter as if I decided to get a professional whitening it would not match. Fortunantly for me though I have only had molars done and I just can't smile wide enough to show those!

Have you made any comments to your DDS. If so what were his comments?

Phil

I haven't talked to him yet, I wanted to poll for comments for a day or two first. A friend of mine says it's normal for them to have to grind on other teeth, the color thing I'm okay with cause I'll just whiten, but the size I can't get over I don't think.

My friend pays about $700, but she's in a smaller city in IN, so that makes sense.

Thanks to everyone for their input. It's kind of cool that there is this group of guys I know from different walks of life, from all over the country, that I can poll for info on even OT items like this. Very handy.

M

This dentist sounds like he doesn't know what he is doing, or doesn't care. I would find someone else who comes with good recommendations from people you can trust. And I wouldn't pay the first guy. Give him the crown back after you get it replaced with a good one. When they are as poorly-fitted as you have described, I would say that the dentist made a bad mold when he took the impression, or the lab technician who made it doesn't know what he is doing. Grinding down your real teeth to fit the crown kind of defeats the purpose of making the crown. And anybody would know that if it is obviously wider than the adjacent teeth, that that is not normal. There's nothing worse than a bad dentist. His attitude when you had to return says all you really need to know. If he has your money and won't refund it, file complaints and threaten to sue him for malpractice.

Michael,

The dentist I use was a young buck when I first start going there. I feel he could have done somethings better in the begining and perhaps even screwed some stuff up. Nothing bad, I just had to re-visit a few things.

The reason I stayed with him was because I liked him as a person and could tell he cared. He is now a very good dentist that I feel I helped in his learning curve.

When I had to get a root canal, I was in so much pain that my wife called him at 4AM at home and he met me in his office by 4:45 to take care of the problem.

Anyway, just my experiance with my dentist where we started off on "shaky ground".

after quizzing numerous people, apparently this is the standard of care. The oversize bit is pretty common, guess they want it to be structurally strong so they're overbuilt a bit. The brighter color isn't that big of deal. And his fee seems to be in line.

I'll just have to get used to it. It beats a tooth with four filings and missing cusps I guess.

But thanks for all the replies.

M