OT- Dental Crowns

colterphoto1

I just had a crown put on a molar that had lost two cusps previously and the fillings did not hold.

My dentist sold his practice to a young new dentist a couple years ago and I've had several problems. First, he had no assistant during the initial crown appointment, so I was not given any instructions about not chewing gum etc. Guess what happened- yup, lost the crown on the way to an out-of-town wedding so was in some pain all weekend. He did not even apologize when I had to return visit to have it reinstalled.

Now looking at the crown, it is not only whiter than the surrounding teeth, but is considerably wider (dimension from gum to tongue) than not only both molars next to it, but the corresponding tooth on the opposite side. And it wasn't a very good bite fit either, he actually ground one of the points off the molar above it to keep it from hitting, and had to do quite a bit of trimming of the crown itself.

Is this normal? I'm not happy with the way it looks or feels at all. It cost $800.

Michael

Sounds like they did not do a good color match on the porcelain. In my experiance I can't tell the crown from the real one with my tongue. Good luck with what ever you decide to do, floss around that thing well as well as brush the gums, not thing looks worse to see receeding gums around a crown.

My wife was first a dental assistant and now a hygienist. She has been in the business for about 25 years. That is not normal. They should be able to match the color very very close if not perfect. It should also look and blend in with all of your other teeth and the bite should feel the same as your original toothbetter if it was broken.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I think you need some more time in the office to get it right.

JB is right about the flossing

The color match isn't the big problem, in fact in probably helps because I am considering getting a whitening treatment. He may have done me a favor in that case.

But the width of it is just ridiculous. It does not match the other teeth at all. He did a 'bite impression of that entire side of my mouth. I don't think it was manufactured very well or it would have matched the neighboring teeth in width. I think it would have been appropriate to take a mold of the tooth in same position- other side, as a mirror image to the one being prepared.

Now what to do- go back and complain to the guy? He'll have to remove the new crown which can't be easy!

M

I had a cracked tooth and finally a crown put on it.

I THOUGHT they'd take impression of tooth (to use as mold for replacement).

I was wrong, he used off the shelf

Put it on several years ago now... and I STILL bite the side of my cheek. I asked them about it at first as it seemed as though the tooth (as you said) was too big or perhaps, angled wrong such that it caught my cheek during bites (ouch) [:@]

They ASSURED me it would go away as I got accustomed to it.

Of course, it did get "better", but it is NOT the same and I've never been happy with it.

If I ever need another crown, I'm not sure I'll use this same guy

I had a cracked tooth and finally a crown put on it.

I THOUGHT they'd take impression of tooth (to use as mold for replacement).

I was wrong, he used off the shelf

Put it on several years ago now... and I STILL bite the side of my cheek. I asked them about it at first as it seemed as though the tooth (as you said) was too big or perhaps, angled wrong such that it caught my cheek during bites (ouch) [:@]

They ASSURED me it would go away as I got accustomed to it.

Of course, it did get "better", but it is NOT the same and I've never been happy with it.

If I ever need another crown, I'm not sure I'll use this same guy

Thanks- GREAT![:@]

I was kinda wondering that when he started grinding away the old tooth.

Moral of the story- NEVER trust a professional- ask all the questions you want before it's too late ( on a related note, it's been 3 months on my Real Estate fiasco and my attorney still hasn't even contacted the other parties) ARRRRRGGGGHHHH

Good dentists can be hard to find. Many are in it for the "business." In other words they are more concerned with making money than the care of patients. We quit a guy right in town, he was real convenient, but noticed after a short time how serious he was(nt). Now we drive 50+ minutes to the other side of the metroplex to my cousin, whose dad used to be my dentist when I was a kid (and was also my godfather). He does volunteer work for the infirmed at nursing homes. This gives you a clue about what kind of person you are dealing with.

Look for someone more concerned with the practice of dental medicine than with being on the golf course by 3. Quit this guy Michael and find a good one. Ask lots of questions, get referrals from people with similar work done and ask them lots of questions. You know what to ask since you have experienced this yourself.

You might also file a complaint with the state board.

I have 3 crowns and the first was bad, like yours, and I had it replaced. It was my FRONT tooth. My ex-dentist is a golf buddy of mine but I have one of his partners work on my teeth. He's not very good IMO but has a very successful practice. 2 of the female partners are great so I schedule with them when he's not working. It's a wink-wink situation. They know the drill (pun intended[;)]).

Now that it was done right, the color matches almost perfectly and the bite is perfect. At first it always seem like the crown is too big, but after a few days it seems to settle. I've never heard of one being too wide, just too tall. That's bizarre! Can you fit floss in there?

If I were you, I'd go back until he gets it right so you don't have to pay another dentist to do it over. It'll be worth it in the long run. Get a recommendation from a friend and find a better dentist. Maybe IndyKlipschFan has a good dentist? You'd be suprised how many hacks are out there and you certainly don't want a hack when it comes to your teeth. You only have one set and once they're ruined, there's no going back.

FLOSS, FLOSS, FLOSS!!!! It's the most important thing you can do for your teeth. I can't remember who it was but a famous guy wrote a book about all the things in his life he would have done differently if he could go back and do it over and near the top of the list was flossing his teeth!

Interesting. I just had my first crown put on too. Had a cracked tooth, the very back bottom one and finally decided to get it fixed. My dentist recommended a gold replacement because he thought the porcelain would not hold up which was fine with me because you can't see it. My problem was and still is that the tooth still hurts and is cold/heat sensative. He used a temporary adhesive and said if it still hurt they would have to do some more tests. So I'm thinking he's probably going for the "full monty" a root canal with a gold crown finish, oh boy.

Sounds like they did not do a good color match on the porcelain. In my experiance I can't tell the crown from the real one with my tongue. Good luck with what ever you decide to do, floss around that thing well as well as brush the gums, not thing looks worse to see receeding gums around a crown.

Keep your tounge out of Michael's mouth!!!!!

My crowns are all shaped slightly differently than a real tooth, were made from impressions and color matched. CP, did you get a copy of the warrantee? Methinks if you go back to that guy, he will recommend a whitening for the rest of your teeth:-(

I can recommend a great dentist. He owns Khorns too!

Rick

Gold is the best if it isn't visable. My 2 back crowns are gold and because it's soft (unlike porcelin), it's more comfortable and settles into place nicely.

You just might need a root canal. I had my one and only done on the front tooth that has the crown. I'm a sissy so I had them put me out first. That was the most painful toothache I ever had (prior to the root canal)! I missed my son's senior high school dinner because of it.[:(]

I don't blame you one bit gary. Besides, reality is for people who can't handle drugs anyway. Whenever I hear "root canal" I always hear in my mind the Zevon tune "It Ain't That Pretty at All."

Well, I've seen all there is to see
And I've heard all they have to say
I've done everything I wanted to do . . .
I've done that too
And it ain't that pretty at all
Ain't that pretty at all
So I'm going to hurl myself against the wall
'Cause I'd rather feel bad than not feel anything at all

You know, I just had a short vacation, Roy
Spent it getting a root canal
"Oh, how'd you like it?"
Well, it ain't that pretty at all
So I'm going to hurl myself against the wall
'Cause I'd rather feel bad than not feel anything at all

Gonna get a good running start and throw myself at the wall as hard as I can man

I've been to Paris
I've been to Rome
Guess what?
I'd like to go back to Paris someday and visit the Louvre Museum
Get a good running start and hurl myself at the wall
Going to hurl myself against the wall
'Cause I'd rather feel bad than feel nothing at all
Ain't that pretty at all

For anyone who cares, regarding previous posts about flossing. Do this once a day. I do it at night before bed while watching tv or other passive activity. It is cheap and highly effective, and if you get a real professional cleaning done by someone who cares about doing it right, then do this, you will have that just cleaned feeling every day, and subsequent cleanings are very easy and your gums will stay healthy, and therefore your teeth will stay yours for a long life. In order from left to right use these tools (toothpaste not pictured).

post-15243-13819311170826_thumb.jpg

"Can you fit floss in there?"

It's the other dimension Gary, from cheek to tongue. There's good room between the teeth, but this crown is much wider than any of the others. Looks like SuperTooth!

I'm calling him tomorrow. I mentioned that it felt like it stuck out when he was dry fitting it on there. He should have recognized the problem instead of moving ahead. Now in addition to ordering a new crown he is going to have to perform another procedure and I will have to endure another.

Then I'm looking for a new dentist.

M