What are your opinions on the new RSW subs?

fabulousfrankie

Just wanted to get everyones opinion on the new RSW subs. Within a few weeks I'm getting RF-3, RC-3, RS-3, plus undecided sub(powered by Parasound HCA-855a). I haven't heard the new subs because I have to drive close to an hour just to listen. Is it worth the drive?

I have 2 infinity interlude 10" (IL100S). I had a big dip(appx. -6dB)in frequency's between 50Hz-80Hz, but infinity's RABOS system helps adjust for room acoustics and it REALLY helped. Will all subs have this kind of problem? Is there a way to fix this with another sub? Thanx

------------------

FABULOUSFRANKIE

frankie, my dealer still has not gotten in the new rsw.

better make sure they have 'em before u travel Smile.gif they look good though Smile.gif

most likely you're getting some room response & it may not matter so much which sub as it would changes in the positioning of the sub & speakers & room characteristics, as well of course output level settings.

but I do EQ mine somewhat w/ the processor notch filter by taking one notch (bass peak) in the 48-52hz range down some db for a smoother transition over the low & high pass crossover point. still i get 5db or more variances going from 20-100hz. my spl drops like yours around that 50+hz range. i understand a lot of it is the powered sub dropping off. probably I just need to adjust it's output, currently set +5db over others, down some more, but that's so hard - bass lover's dilemma. Biggrin.gif

i avoid using any other EQ. a combination of the above may give u a smoother freq response. others could answer the techs better.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

This message has been edited by boa12 on 11-20-2001 at 03:45 PM

FabulousFrankie,

I have very similar gear to what you are getting. I recently demoed an RSW12 for a week from my local Tweeter, and I was NOT very impressed. It played a little louder than my Velodyne, but the rolloff down low was very evident. Ít's response was not as flat (I did not write down measurements, because I decided to return it). All I can say is that below 30hz, it's output dropped significantly compared to my HGS12, which is very flat down to around 20hz. (By no means do I consider myself an expert, but I know how to use an SPL meter). I decided if I want more output I'll upgrade to the HGS 15 or 18. If you go with the RSW, do yourself a favor and get the 15. It is tuned lower and should not have this problem. The 15 is special order at Tweeter, so I couldn't borrow that one.

On another note, I'm not sure if you had a chance to demo that Parasound Amp, but you will be very happy with it. I tried the 855A and ended up getting the 1205A just because I got a deal I couldn't pass up on the controller and amp. I did not notice any difference between the 2. Even at extremely high volumes, the 855 sounded identical to the 1205. I don't think you can use more than 60watts or so with any Klipsch speaker without your ears bleeding. Enjoy!

------------------

RF-3 Mains

RC-3 Center

RS-3 Surrounds (movies)

RB-5 Surrounds (music)

Velodyne HGS-12

Parasound AVC-1800

Parasound HCA-1205A

Pioneer Elite DV-05

Denon CDR-1800

Parasound S/PS-140

Hitachi 43FDX01B

DVDO IScan Pro

Hello,

I was looking forward to buying the RSW15 but after hearing and seeing it in person (IT IS TOO BIG!!!!) and does not have the output of a friends SVS by far.

So SVS IT IS!!! Do you believe they put the inputs on the front of this Beast (size only) SVS has alot smaller footprint and ALOT more output..

They are a small company with a great customer service record and ALOT OF BANG FOR THE BUCK.. Less overhead and cheaper operating costs without the many people making ALOT of money before you even see at your local dealer means you get a factory price!!!

Good Luck,

Steve

www.noav.com

DEAM thanks for all the great news,now I am looking forward to hear the RSW15. cwm8.gif

I will try not to remember what was said here when I test the RSW15.I will pit it against the Revel B15 then I will see(hear DOH)how true all this negative talk is(you could be 100% correct on the RSW15).

If it cant best the Revel then I will have to award it the Golden ME TOO Lemon Award.And all fear the Golden M.T.L.A. award like the pest.

When a sub is BIG and uses BIG drivers driven by a BIG amp I MUST hear BIG BASS.Down to 20Hz clean and with BIG BIG OUTPUT.If not the M.T.L.A. award is given without any mercy.

Wink.gif

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Klipschkid!!! SVS can Kiss your ***?? Obviously everyone on this bulletin board loves Klipsch speakers, but as you can see by the amount of different subs we all use, that Klipsch has so far not made a very popular sub!! I hope that the RSW series turns out to be awesome not like the LF-10, LF-12 flopps. You need to order an SVS Ultra and put it against the RSW 15, it's cheaper and u have a money back guarantee with it too, you've got nothing to lose.

Craig

D class swithing power supplies.

Though some self-powered subs have good quality

amps, most don't.

You can always have more control of a sub with a

good quality external amp and crossover.

It may not be more practical, but I just can't buy

into self-powered subwoofers

Klipschkid, have you even compared the SVS subs

with the RSW15?

If there some sort of secret you know, then 'fess up.

Otherwise, I think your just 'Cyberbating'.

THANX!

• 2 weeks later...

A subwoofer is really limited using any amp not specifically designed to drive the driver/enclosure combination. Modern subwoofer amp design is a unique field which has brought numerous performance advances. While you can most certainly use a 'normal' outboard amp and crossover, you don't take advantage of these advances. This is why powered subs have become so popular and have pushed the envelope so substantially.