Opinons please

jmorgan32

Thanks a bunch in advance for anyone who shares some feeback for me.

I guess I am having some "buyers remorse" but it may be totally unjustified. I recently bought a pair of Klipsch F-3's. Yes, I realize these are speakers that "true audiophiles" wouldn't even consider owning.

I also bought a Denon receiver that is rated at 100 wpc. Of course, with Klipsch being so effecient this is plenty of power. In fact I can't even turn it up to the "9 o'clock" position for fear of the neighbors going nuts!

Prior to this 2 channel setup, I simply had a very inexpensive Sony 2 channel receiver and some smaller Infinity bookshelves. Sure, this new setup sounds much better to me but I am still rethinking my decision too much!

ie............let me get right to the point/question. sorry for the ramble!

I was in a position financially to spend more money, but to be very honest, I don't have what I believe to be an "audiophile or trained ear" as I sometimes hear "you guys" talk about.

I had considered eg a Rotel receiver with about the same specs (yes i know not to pay too much attention to specs) but it retailed for around 900.00 and my Denon was 499.00.

I also considered other "high end" speakers and the "high end dealer" in town. (of course you Klipsch fans know my speakers are sold at stores like Best Buy etc............or what the high end stores call "box stores") I was considering a brand of speaker called Energy, and they retailed for around 2 grand a pair.

Of course, I had no way of doing a "side by side" comp to the Klipsch so I just bought the Klipsch. They sound GREAT to me, but I am now wondering how much if ANY the other 2,000 dollar speakers with a Rotel receiver would have sounded.

Opinions please?? I know this may be very vague, etc, but I just don't know if I would have REALLY noticed much difference.

One last example of my "listening skill" or hearing ability. I took my headphones into the high end store (cheap old Sonys from the 1980's) and did a direct comp versus a pair of Senheiser very expensive phones. NO difference at all the me. EVEN THE SALES GUY said "You know your Sonys don't sound bad at all, and the Senhiesers have just a little better midrange if you listen to the horns in the song."

Well that is just to serve as an example of why I am not sure the 2 gand speakers and Rotel would have made much of a diff to me.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks a lot for the feedback so quickly! Sure, compared to what I had before, I love the sound.

It is just that "weird thinking process" that lots of buyers tend to have after they get something relatively expensive.

You know the drill, I'm sure...........It is the "self-talk" stuff like, "Life if short, I should have gone with better. eg- some McIntosh Integ. amp and some speakers for 2 or 3 grand." Ah. Live and learn.

Thanks for sharing. That is really all someone can say and still be fair. In looking at your equipment, you wouldn't be happy with what I have I don't think!"

I just think "audiophile" learnings are some of the most complex things going! Compared to buying a car, clothing, etc., the audio thing seems to be far and away the most difficult concept for me to grasp and the most subjective category of all "buying decisions". I really wrestle with it!

Instead of just relaxing and enjoying, I continue to wrestle with the decisions and have frustration out of not understanding "where to stop."

It kind of goes back to the old argument you hear====="hey lampcord would sound just as good with your system as those $150 speaker cables."

Do you know what I mean?

Thanks again.

I know what you mean, and also, I agree that lamp cord is probably good enough. I had Cornwalls 4-ever before I got KHorns. Cornwalls were plenty good enough. At about $700-800 a pair used, they are the best bang for the buck. I listened to Chorus, which is supposed to compare (so many say), but I don't think they do. It's either that, or if they are comparable, then my Crown on Corns blew away the Adcom on Chorus.

But no, you don't have to spend a ton of money. We debated the amplifier topic ad nauseum here, and I still think a dedicated amp is the way to go. I love the raw power and rock-solid bass my Crown delivers.

Welcome to the forum,

I know I have had "buyers remorse - questioning" in the past.

It's scary to spend money, then sit down and go, man does it sound that much better?

If you like the way your new system sounds, thats great!

Sit back and enjoy!. Life is short...

There is always time to upgrade. Probably 95% people here still upgrade, some slowly, some quickly...

Enjoy your new set up, and realize that it is probably 95% better than any one elses in the entire country. You will spend the next $100,000,000,000 getting that last %5 improvement![;)]

Paul

Thanks! I really do feel a lot better. Your comment about the gazillion $ to bump it 5% really helps put it into perspective for me. I really do appreciate it.

There are a ton of people on here who really know their stuff, and I don't know squat about audio in comparison.

Hah! Life if short. If my family read your comment they would scream "We have been telling him that for 49 years!!" (I am a perfectionist to a fault. Bad......)

Thanks again........and BTW I am a native Texan-----born in Harlingen and my entire family is in Fort Worth and Arlington. (stuck here in "yankee country=ie Ohio......but i really do love Ohio too.)

Take care.

Joe

I have never heard the F3's but am certain they are a fine speaker.

I buy nothing new anymore. Used Heritage speakers can be had on eBay, Audiogon and Craigslist for very good prices. Fortes for $400, Chorus for $600, Cornwalls for $800, La Scala's for $1K... you get the point. If you find them local they are a bargain at those prices. And the beauty is if you aren't happy you can sell them for what you paid. [:D]

Same thing with amplifiers. If you stick with the quality amps you can generally get back what you paid, if you don't like the way they sound. This gives you an opportunity to listen to a lot of different combos. Also, if there are Forum members in your area you should get together and listen to their systems. Gives you a chance to hear different speakers, amps, sources, etc.

Mike

Buyer's Remorse.........Hell I have that when I buy a soda........Second guessing is part of the game..........if you have doubts take them back unless you've had them awhile.....used equipment works for some.......some of us like new........if those speakers are new from a Big Box store, and you aren't happy, take them back.............I would stick with Klipsch if I was you.......I wouldn't touch those Energy speakers.....but...your not me..........

What you have is called "cognitive disonance." There is no known cure but time. It's an old marketing term that means many things but one is that after a purchase you are obliged to second-guess your action. You will wrestle with the good vs bad until one is settled on.

Hopefully you will settle on the fact that you made a good purchase. Let your own ear be the judge.

I listened to Chorus, which is supposed to compare (so many say), but I don't think they do. It's either that, or if they are comparable, then my Crown on Corns blew away the Adcom on Chorus.

Chorus II set up properly will blow your mind with metal. And believe it or not Jeff you dont have to get an ear bleed just because its loud and pounding the crap out of ya. Its called finding smooth gear that kicks arse! Cornwalls always give me a headache at concert levels unless you dynamat the crap out of them. Cornwalls are maybe the finest jazz speaker on the planet but us metal heads better stick with Chorus II's.

JM

LOL, you are at the start of the trip down the Audio road. LIsten to what you have until you feel the itch to move on to better things. What you have is better than ALL of the mass market Kmart shoppers, and a large percentage of "higher end" gear also. Enjoy the ride for sure!

Oh BTW, I love my Cornwalls but there are times that I like my Fort'es or Quartets just as much. The Heresys are ok for background music.[;)]

Thanks CB, You are right. Another example happened last night. It was late (after midnight) and I want to hear Joni Mitchell LOUD. Of course, my neighbor (upstairs) would have gone nutszoid, so I put on my old Sony headphones. Instead of closing my eyes and enjoying the CD, I was scrolling all over a Grado headphone sight wondering how much better they may sound than my old Sony's!!

Hell, I even took the Sony's a month ago to a high end store and did an A/B comp with some Sennheisers and even the salesman said they were damned close, so I didn't buy the Senns. Still scrolling over the Grado site last night though! I don't like this one bit!!

Ha.........Thanks Blacksmith.

JM

Your speakers will serve you well for quite a while into the future. Many people here (myself included) have gone about the upgrade path backwards and thus have spent more money than needed.

START with your front end, this is your source, the TurnTable, the CD player, the place that the music STARTS, high quality here will be heard throughout the system. Then move on to your preamp then to the amplifier then back to speakers. This way you are BUILDING a system rather than swapping in and out components to get a better sound.

I started with speakers, then amplifier, then preamp then source. I had some very good guidance from members here and good choices were made but it is much easier to go the other way, you have many more choices if you start with first things first.

All the above is true but LISTEN TO WHAT YOU HAVE!!, ENJOY IT!! LEARN IT, you are starting well up the ladder, rest here and discover what you LIKE and what you don't like, take your time and most of all, ENJOY THE RIDE!

You need to decide if you're a serious hobbyist or someone who just wants better than good sound without getting wrapped up in the insanity that "serious" entails. Generally speaking, and this applies to most things -- the more you spend the better it gets. There is certainly a point where diminishing returns enters the picture, but with F3's and a $500 Denon receiver you're not anywhere near chasing 'the last 5%'. If I walked into your house with a set of RF-82's, some Aragon or high quality tube gear, a $700 CD player -- and ran this system in place of what you have now you would pee yourself.

I listened to Chorus, which is supposed to compare (so many say), but I don't think they do. It's either that, or if they are comparable, then my Crown on Corns blew away the Adcom on Chorus.

Chorus II set up properly will blow your mind with metal. And believe it or not Jeff you dont have to get an ear bleed just because its loud and pounding the crap out of ya. Its called finding smooth gear that kicks arse! Cornwalls always give me a headache at concert levels unless you dynamat the crap out of them. Cornwalls are maybe the finest jazz speaker on the planet but us metal heads better stick with Chorus II's.

Maybe for metal.

Once again, thanks everyone!

I know it must be very boring to answer these "beginner questions" but I REALLY DO appreciate it.

This reminds me about a buddy asking me about wristwatches. I am a Swiss watch fanatic and own some very nice ones. However, it took years of reading, buying, learning, etc. etc. The SAME things many of you probably did.

We all make some mistakes along the way, and hopefully live and learn. The best way at this time for me to learn some basics is to "pick on you guys" cause you know your stuff!

Again, I realize I am nowhere near "chasing that last 5%" that you guys talk about. (just heard that phrase today for the 1st time!) So, for now, I will read, continue to learn, try NOT to ask too many questions and do more "listening and reading."

Thanks again guys. You are been more than generous with your time.

All the best,

Joe Morgan

Columbus, OH

You need to decide if you're a serious hobbyist or someone who just wants better than good sound without getting wrapped up in the insanity that "serious" entails. Generally speaking, and this applies to most things -- the more you spend the better it gets. There is certainly a point where diminishing returns enters the picture, but with F3's and a $500 Denon receiver you're not anywhere near chasing 'the last 5%'. If I walked into your house with a set of RF-82's, some Aragon or high quality tube gear, a $700 CD player -- and ran this system in place of what you have now you would pee yourself.

Thanks Dean. I'm sure you are spot on! Maybe that is the stuff (gear) I don't want to "subject" myself to right now since I just got my system! I think you tend to lose a great deal of dough getting rid of used stuff.

For now, I will pretend that the other "high end" stuff (that I certainly don't have) just sounds good in the store because the rooms are set up and designed for optimum sound! (pure rationalization at the highest level!)

Hell, I've never even heard of Aragon, but I do believe I would need a bedpan as you described.

Take care!

Joe