Just in case you aren't aware our own Larry C suffered a terrible

fall a little over a weeek ago and broke two bones ihis neck and his

shoulder-blade. Probably the most distressing part of it for him

is that it caused the cancellation of a ge ttogether here in DC that he

had been working on for weeks.

GaryMD has been reading the nice comments people have posted on the

thread in 2 Chanel cancelling the event to Larry every time he visits

him in the hospital.

I would very much appreciate it if you could say a kind word in that thread to keep his spirits up until he can re-join us.

Format's simple: Name of artist or group, name of album, type of music

as best you can (rock, blues etc.), and recording format (cd, lp etc.)

As usual I'll start it off with:

Sorry nothing this week. I got to listen for maybe two hours last

week, and since I try not to repeat myself, or simply throw something

out there, I've come up dry.

Fear not, I've still got some good music tucked away and I'm sure I'll something to share next week.

Until then, what do you have to share?

THEBES......you have nothing? The Twins runnin' you down........the Sheriff has no bullets for his gun.......What is this Forum coming to?.........OK, I'll give you give you one;

J. GEILS BAND.........THE MORNING AFTER.........CD.........1971

Well here are my Favorite Band out of Boston.....J. Geils Band....These guys take Rhythm and Blues right to the limit.....this is their second outing, and they are starting to get their feet planted in R+B and how they want to present their songs. This to me, is just a fun album, good solid music, nothing here to change the world, just Party Music from a bunch of Boston Bad Boys. This kinda Music is how a Party starts, I know you know what I mean, let's get Crazy.Whammer Jammer......what can I tell about this Harmonica Based flat-out, kick you in the *** song......Magic Dick on the lickin' stick.....Great stuff....Really isn't a bad song here......10 songs that will make you get up and move around....Looking for Love, classic song......I think alot of you old crazed dawgs already know about J.Geils, and maybe haven't played them in awhile........bet you own Full House.....then jump on this little gem, get a taste of Peter Wolf doing what he does best....and Stephan Bladd on drums......this is Rhythm and Blues seasoned with some Rock n' Roll......Aerosmith, and Boston, and the Cars get the glory.........J. Geils Band got the point..........God I love this stuff..........Stuck in the 70's and happy as a clam....It Ain't What You Do (It's How You Do It)...........Remastered CD

Here's one from my obscure, hard to find collection...

Jason and the G-Men--Swing Hard, Swing Often--1999

Contemporary Swing Jazz

Jason Harms golden voice has the class and savvy of a Frank Sinatra and the attitude of his pop & rock contemporaries. His brothers support his guitar work with a rhythm section that makes a G-Men concert a blast from the past as well as a ride into the future of contemporary music.

This album is a ton of fun and very retro. The only place I know where to get it is at www.Rhythmhouse.com.

The actually have this CD on clearance right now..just 2.97 plus shipping.

Let's have a Rock and Roll Halloween!

Alice Cooper - Mascara & Monsters: The Best Of Alice Cooper

Street Date: Jan 16, 2001

Posted Image

01 - I'm Eighteen

02 - Is It My Body

03 - Desperado

04 - Under My Wheels

05 - Be My Lover

06 - School's Out

07 - Elected

08 - Hello Hooray

09 - Generation Landslide

10 - No More Mr. Nice Guy

11 - Billion Dollar Babies

12 - Teenage Lament '74

13 - Muscle Of Love

14 - Only Women Bleed

15 - Department Of Youth

16 - Welcome To My Nightmare

17 - I Never Cry

18 - You And Me

19 - How You Gonna See Me Now

20 - From The Inside

21 - Clones (We're All)

22 - Poison

Greg's pick: Track #21 - Clones (We're All)

The Alice Cooper Group: Alice Cooper (vocals); Michael Bruce (guitar, keyboards, background vocals); Glen Buxton (guitar); Dennis Dunaway (bass, background vocals); Neal Smith (drums, background vocals). Producers include: Bob Ezrin, David Foster, Michael Wagener, Desmond Child, Jack Douglas. Compilation producers: David McLees, Brian Nelson. Includes liner notes by Jeffrey Morgan and Alice Cooper. This is a one-disc distillation of the four-disc box set THE LIFE AND CRIMES OF ALICE COOPER, and as such represents the cream of the shock-rock legend's output. The earlier songs (1970 to 1974), featuring the original lineup, are classic rock & roll. Managing the difficult feat of being both clever and commercially accessible, these songs were of course a huge influence on the late-'70s punk rock that followed (Johnny Rotten auditioned for the Sex Pistols by singing along with Cooper's generational anthem "I'm Eighteen"). The later material here, from "Only Women Bleed" to "Poison," is just as well crafted--Cooper performs with a combination of irony and malevolence that a certain Marilyn Manson no doubt studied long and hard.

http://www.rhino.com/store/ProductDetail.lasso?Number=75806

Most rock fans know that Alice Cooper wrote the book on shock-rock from the late 60s through the early 80s, with his outrageous costumes, horrific stage theatrics, and smart-assed hard rock songs about teenage rebellion.

In 1999, we presented the long-awaited The Life And Crimes Of Alice Cooper 4-CD box set, and everywhere Ol Black Eyes went to promote it, the fans loved it. But they also said that they were dying for a single CD with nothin but the biggest hits.

We listened, and here it isa deluxe expanded and remastered version of his Greatest Hits, originally released in 1974 on Warner Bros. Records, updated to include his very best through 1990. Mascara & Monsters features 22 mortifyingly massive hits on a single monster CD, including Schools Out, Im Eighteen, Under My Wheels, Welcome To My Nightmare, Poison, and more.

This week I will weigh in with Count Basie and his Orchestra--On The Road. It is a Sony systems digital on red vinyl, recorded live (Pablo Today). This disc puts you front row center at a Basie concert. It is recorded HOT, so much so that in John III the bass blows out at loud and low frequencies during the extended and entertaining solo (no your speakers are not blown, it is the recording). Also the trumpet solo in the next tune lets you hear the breath through the horn as much as the notes. This is a very dynamic recording which will help you overcome your regrets if you never saw Basie live. Joe Bob Briggs says "check it out."

I'll weigh in with an album that I came across in a bargain bin many years ago. There wasn't even a cover over the album. Just the album and the cardboard case. But it is still in very good condition, just a few pops at high volume. Replayed it yesterday, put it on the Right This Minute thread and received several good comments so I'll share it here.

Words like monumental or groundbreaking are bandied about a lot but I think may apply in this case. Those of us growing up in the 60's and 70's saw many musical changes and developments. Rock music was evolving and this album captures a small section of that evolution.

f54993r9k0d.jpg

Enter the unlikely all-star triumvirate of Al Kooper (piano/organ/ondioline/vocals/guitars), Mike Bloomfield (guitar), and Stephen Stills (guitar) all of whom were concurrently "on hiatus" from their most recent engagements. Kooper had just split after masterminding the definitive and groundbreaking Child Is Father of the Man(1968) version of Blood, Sweat and Tears. Bloomfield was fresh from a brief stint with the likewise brass-driven Electric Flag, while Stills was late of Buffalo Springfield and still a few weeks away from a more or less full-time commitment to David Crosby and Graham Nash. Although the trio never actually performed together, the long-player was notable for idiosyncratically featuring one side led by the team of Kooper/Bloomfield and the other by Kooper/Stills. (AMG)

Side 1 Mike Bloomfield-Al Kooper

1. Albert's Shuffle*

2. Stop*

3. Man's Temptation

4. His Holy Modal Majesty

5. Really

Side 2 Steve Stills-Al Kooper

1. It Takes A Lot To Laugh, It Takes A Train To Cry

2. Season of the Witch

3. You Don't Love Me

4. Harvey's Tune

Personnel:

Mike Bloomfield-Electric Guitar (Side 1 only)

Steve Stills-Electric Guitar (Side 2 only)

Al Kooper-Piano, Organ, Ondioline, Vocals, 12-Srring Guitar and Electric Guitar

Harvey Brooks-Bass

Eddie Hoh-Drums

*Barry Goldberg-Electric Piano

The music on this record was performed spontaneously by the personnel as listed. The horns were added later as an afterthought. -Al Kooper

While not mentioned on the album, Bloomfield became ill and was not able to finish side 2 and Stills was called in to finish.

You can hear some different musical influences evolving into a new level of rock that came to be purely by accident. And thanks to coda for pointing this out. A video from a session on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrh5VujHJl4

Great stuff.

This album is available on CD. Happy listening.

Great selection....Super Session is one great CD!!!

That YouTube video was very cool too..

I did a review of the remastered CD on 06/14/2006 right here on Klipsch.

The remastered CD did add a few unreleased songs that were not available on the LP version. "Blues for Nothing" for example is one great song that is only on the remaster series.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/permalink/746774/747958/ShowThread.aspx#747958

Thanks for sharing!

Great selection....Super Session is one great CD!!!

That YouTube video was very cool too..

I did a review of the remastered CD on 06/14/2006 right here on Klipsch.

The remastered CD did add a few unreleased songs that were not available on the LP version. "Blues for Nothing" for example is one great song that is only on the remaster series.

http://forums.klipsch.com/forums/permalink/746774/747958/ShowThread.aspx#747958

Thanks for sharing!

Sorry, I missed that review. Didn't mean to double post. But that is the CD I want.

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

For something different for me at least.

" Legends of Jazz with Ramsey Lewis " Showcase

Two disc one CD one DVD 5.1

Al Jarreau, Kurt Elling..........Take Five

Chris Botti..........My Funny Valentine

Marcus Miller, George Duke, Lee Ritenour.....The Panther

David Sanborn, Phil Woods.....Senor Blues

Robert Cray, Keb' Moe'......12 Year Old Boy

Chic Corea......Armando's Rumba

Benny Golson.....Killer Joe

Ivan Lins........The Island

Clark Terry.......Mumbles

Jane Monheit, John Pizzarelli.....They Can't Take That Away From Me

Dave Valentine.........Obession

Dave Brubeck, Billy Taylor..........Take The ' A ' Train

Ramsey Lewis........... Dear Lord

Never had much time to really listen much but the recording is good. Not what I normally listen to but I thought it would be a good mix of Jazz, not sure how Robert Cray and Keb Moe got in there ?