Erland's Khorn project (lot's of pictures)

Erland

Roy,

You will have to go to your room now!

[;)]

let's see......my drums are in there.......my computer/studio setup is in there.......my jam speakers with ev 38's are in there......pool table in there......okay i'll go.......

pray tell, what do YOU use for 'jam' speakers. I'm nearly frightened to ask.

let's see a picture of Roy's setup.....[6]

And now the hatch.

I relation to your comments on the hatch, and that some find the 1/2" plywood a litle to flexible for this area, I have tried a different solution. The part that I cut out is made as an inner hatch and enlarged by 4cm in all directions. In between I have glued a 2mm thich rubber seal. The plates and rubber is glued and screwed together, and the outer plates edges nicely rounded off and sanded to "baby skin" finnish as all the plywood.

Some may find my sanding and other detailing as "nitpicking", but as mentioned earlier, I want to try to make this horns the best I can in any way withing the limitatations of myknowledge and squills.

To sit listening and regretting that I did not do this or that, and wander how much better It would have been if I did, is not my style.

hatch1.jpg

hatch2.jpg

When the speakers are complete is hard to determine.

I have some plans for the squaker/tweeter section that diifers some from the regular "box" and there are crossovers to build. I recieved a message from Norwegian customs that the caps from Solen has arrived and will be released this week, and the coils from Partsconnexion will hopefulle be here sometime soon.

I have also promised my wife to build a noew kitchen before christmas, so the horns is something I do an couple of hrs every day.

I hope to have the Khorns playing music for my new years party, but if it does not happen I will not panic:) The RF5's also does a very good job in my system.

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday I closed the basshorns.

The internal wiring are complete, and now I begin the work on the squaker/tweeter section and the x-overs.

I have not been on this forum enough to know how tense the cable/wire subject are, but I know from local (Norwegian) forums that the topic can cause massive discussions.

I am using a 1,8mm thick (believe me, thats thick) solidcore silver wire plated with a material called Palladium. The cable is called "the whistler cable" from the man who had it made. He runs a smal highend supply called Whistler audio. It has become the reference speaker and internal wire for all who has tested it. To bad the cable are "comercially impossible" as the process of cryo threatment and Palladium plating of 99.99% pure silver involves shipping two times between continents. Most people may find this explenation of a piece of wire a total lunacy, but in a direct comparison, this cable seem to be able to catch a nerve in the music that I have never heard befor, even from the famuous and extreemely expensive Nodost Valhalla. But as mentioned, If this cable should be produced comercially, it would probably have a prizetag, even larger.

Enough cable bubble, here are the result of my basshorns.

bass12.jpg

So I am building again,

Here is what I are working on for the top section.

all2.jpg

I have recieved several mail asking for links or advise where to find building plans.

If you send me a PROPER email adress, able to recieve mail of 5MB+ files, I will send you some plans for free. The ones I have tried to reply to, are coming in return. I will not keep trying if mail are rejected.

Great woofer hatch. I struggled getting mine to look and seal correctly also.

One think you might want to consider is a mod I did on the woofer motor board. I took a router with a 1/2" rounding bit and put a radius on the outside of the motor board throat slot. This removes the sharp corner. I got this from modern advances in port design. All modern ports have a radius in order to remove wave diffraction effects. I am sure this applies to the khorn woofer throat slot. One difference in my build is that while my throat slot on the motorboard is 3" x 13" my slot in the woofer cabinet is 6" x 13". Originally I did this for experimentation.

Although I am not much on subjective observations, I believe it smooths the sound. I can notice a definite improvement while listening to my reference Bach organ concerto.

P.S. I also would like the email, I can handle a 5 meg one easily.