A Newbie here.

Fyre_Junkee

I just signed up to this forum now that I have a set of RF-7's on the way. I was introduced to Klipsch about 4 years ago by a friend that had Klipsch subs and mains. (I don't remember exactly which model mains, but they are very similar to the RF-7. 10" woofers with a horn.) The subs are KSW 200. It was a very impressive set up, and when he decided to sell one of his KSW 200's, (it was picking up a very close AM station) I snapped it up. What a difference it made in my set up.

I've had my eye on the RF-7's for some time now, and when I found out they were discontinued, I looked around and bought a pair. I am anxiously awaiting their delivery so I can get of what I am using now.

Just for reference, my current set-up is a Sony STR DE675 (100W/ch) receiver, a Denon DVD1920 dvd player, the before mentioned sub, and a Jensen HT in a box speaker set. While not great, the Jensens have gotten me by until now. I will have to continue using the Jensen center and satellites until such time as budget can justify new centers and satellites.

So, my question now would be, what should I do for care and feeding of the RF-7's? They are black, are currently going to be fed with single pair monster 14GA cable. I will very shortly be upgrading that to thicker Monster Cable and Bi-wiring them. Anything else I should know?

I'm looking forward to interacting with the forum. It seems to be very informative, and a great place to hang out. I also didn't realize that Klipsch owners can be so radical. (read as rabidly faithful to the brand) :) Guess I need to listen to a set of Khorns sometime.

Thanks

Welcome to the Forum.[:)] Lot's of knowledgable folks here.

You are going to love your new 7's. I've had mine for a few years now and love them.

Bi-wiring is a bit of a controversial subject around here, I myself am of the belief it's a waste of time. Others may disagree.

Consider not only upgrading of your Jenson's but your receiver as well. The RF-7 is a speaker that likes lots of power. I have a B&K 200x5 and they sound great with it. The upgrade bug will bite you like it has the rest of us.[;)]

Anyway, welcome again and happy listening.

Welcome to the Forum.[:)] Lot's of knowledgable folks here.

You are going to love your new 7's. I've had mine for a few years now and love them.

Bi-wiring is a bit of a controversial subject around here, I myself am of the belief it's a waste of time. Others may disagree.

Consider not only upgrading of your Jenson's but your receiver as well. The RF-7 is a speaker that likes lots of power. I have a B&K 200x5 and they sound great with it. The upgrade bug will bite you like it has the rest of us.[;)]

Anyway, welcome again and happy listening.

I completely agree & the 14ga cable you have is fine.

Welcome to the forum and the Klipsch board. I am also in the camp of bi-wire is a waste of money and time. 14 gauge wire is just fine and you don't need the "monster" stuff either. It is just WAY overpriced for what you get. There are many here that say buy your wire at a good electronics store or the local big box store. I am one of those. However there are many here that say only high buck wire will do. Whatever you want is fine with me, however I spend my money where I feel it makes the most difference and wire is not on the list.

Welcome!

I have a pair of RF-7's as well, and love them!

The wiring issue is very debatable, however, I would do 12 guage runs and I as well think you should save the money on bi-wiring. I bi-wire, but I cannot tell a difference...well not really.

The great thing about your system is that the RC-7 center can be had for a bargain as well and is a MONSTER!

Thank you all for the input. I will not worry about bi-wiring for now. I still may however, bump up to 12 ga we will see. I did buy cheaper monstercable when I cabled my house, and good guys screwed up when they rang it up, so I got it even cheaper. :) Didn't find that out until the cable got home though. The upgrade bug is starting to bite already. I want to move up to a bigger Denon receiver, not to mention a better center, and satellites. Time to keep my eyes open for a cheap RC-7.

The speakers do sound awesome, and really improved the depth and quality of sound from the home theater. Considering the POS HT in a box bookshelf speakers I was using, something from Bo** would have been an improvement I'm afraid.

Anyhow, on to my complaint. UPS damaged the speakers in shipment, breaking the foot off of one, and denting and scratching both cabinets. They didn't hurt any of the speakers themselves, just the cabinets. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do as far as fixing or rebuilding the cabinets? I want to get estimates for use in the claim process against UPS.

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Wayne

he decided to sell one of his KSW 200's, (it was picking up a very close AM station)

???

Yep, there is an AM station that has it's broadcast towers about 1/3 of a mile or less from his house. Anytime the sub was plugged into power, it would pick up the station, and you could actually hear it over the sub. It would feed back into the rest of his system when that was all powered up, but it wasn't very loud. When all was off, you could hear the station coming from only the sub. Unplug it, and it would go away. When they would cut back their transmitting power at night, it would go almost completely away.

When I got the sub home, and went to plug it in, I found that the ground prong had been cut off of the power cord. My guess, the ungrounded sub was becoming a nice fat antenna. None the less, it scored me a nice sub at a nice price ($150). I have had no problems with it.

Wayne