Hi-power Tube Power Amps???

Heideana

It seems that most of the tube power amps I see put out 75 watts or less. What tube amps that are capable of putting out 120 watts or more? Audio Research seems to be the only brand I've heard of, but I keep thinking there must be some classic behemoth tube amps from the 60's and 70's that are fairly high-powered?

Conrad-Johnson made some doozies back in the day. VTL and VAC also sport high power tube monoblocks, and Quicksilver's V-4 is well thought of. McIntosh and Altec made industrial tube amps in the 160 - 200 watt class as well.

The problem is high power in tubes rapidly becomes heavy and expensive. Plus they require high voltages and lots of cooling. Finally, and this comes from sad experience, when they go bad, they go bad big and expensive. And that doesn't include the fun of buying four matched pair of KT-88s every other year or so. I had an Audio-Research D-160 for a while. It sounded beautiful, with headroom for days and sculptural imaging. It really "sang" beautifully. It also, every couple of years or so, would shoot high-rise flames out of the power supply which would set me back about $800 or so.

Still, if I was in the market for a high power tube amp, I'd start with the Quicksilver V-4.

Thanks gang! I'm just discovering the joys of surfing E-bay and your suggestions give me a toe hold in the literature, so to speak....[H].

I'm pretty happy with the 60-90 tube watts I currently have, but I'd be a really happy camper if I saw something go by within my price range that gave me a solid 120 watts to give me a bit more head room...[:D] I'm also keeping my eye out on the tube pre-amp, as I could plug it into my Rogue until I got a bigger power amp if I wanted to...

A rather more attractive offering from Greece:

electra1zoom.jpg

This is the Tsakiridis Electra (www.tsakiridis-devices.com).

There are 2 main flavours (EL34 or 6550/KT88) with either 140 or 180 wpc.

Prices are 2,200 euros for the EL34 and 2,720 for the 6550 - multiply by 1.25 for $.

You can download the specs, brochures etc from the site.

No affiliation with the company and all that - just a happy customer. Pricing is not as sharp as it used to be - they have gone a bit up-market - but still not bad watt/$ return for new kit with a warranty.

It's a Sound City 200 Plus.  200W, four kt88's.  I've got two of 'em.  One I converted into a Hiwatt 200 clone and the other needs work...  Rob

Actually, now that I think about it, they'd make a great pair of 200 watt monoblocks.  [:D]

egads man not sure what to say about that.... you could power the entire colter wall of sound with those two amps....

The majority of above 75 watt tubes amps employ the use a 4 or more tubes per channel to reach the power levels. In my experience most of these amps sound like dung on klipsch speakers. They were built to power much less efficient speakers and sound like it. Of course I haven't heard them all but I have auditioned at least 6 to 8 here in my shop.

Craig

The majority of above 75 watt tubes amps employ the use a 4 or more tubes per channel to reach the power levels. In my experience most of these amps sound like dung on klipsch speakers. They were built to power much less efficient speakers and sound like it. Of course I haven't heard them all but I have addition at least 6 to 8 here in my shop.

Craig

why not convert them to ...UltraLinear.....

since there's Watt's to burn ....