Set of ALK Gentle Slope AP12-350

mark1101

I know, I know......another network thread. But, I thought I would post these since they are a different model than the usual ones we see here......and they have been Auricapped. Another ALK work of art. You can trust me that they sound absolutely phenomenal. I have never heard my Khorns sound this good. The ES crossover on the top end makes a major difference in clarity and imaging from my AK-3s and although the bottom end is conventional like the AK-3 the sound is much better all around. The system can be played much louder with steady clarity, and I found that now I can get away without my center channel cornwall. All in all......excellent. I would buy these again in an instant.

Pictures coming.

Guys,

The AP12 "sereis" could easily be a DIY project. It's a very simple design. The AP12-350 that Mark has is really the woofer filter of the Klipsch AK-3 network with a matching highpass half added that is all wrong on the AK-3. The idea of it is to keep down the cost of moving to the extreme-slope squawker / tweeter network that is more important. I just need to get the lead out of my posterior to put the design up on my web site for download.

Al K.

.....and here's why they are not ES on bottom......a much simpler bottom end board with the good components where it matters......in the midrange. This works extremely well. The entire signal fed to the top end board to create both the Squawker cross out, and tweeter cross in.....goes through the BIG Auricap. [;)]

post-12535-13819313962378_thumb.jpg

Guys,

Mark's networks are special. I replaced the solen Fastcaps on the AP12 networks with big Auricap 50 uF (hand picked for 52 uF actually). To get it in the space where the dual Solens would normally go I had to turn it 90 degrees. The transformer had to be rotated 45 degrees also as to allow the plugs to fit on the taps without bumping the big auricap. The 50 uF Auricap was so big and heavy that it broke loose of the hot-glue I used to fasten it to the board in shipping. The two straps were added by Mark (nice job!).

AL K.

..........and I should give DeanG credit where credit is due. Auricaps are not AL's standard parts and do not come in the tight tolerances required for these networks. Therefore, the only option is to have exact values matched and provided by the supplier.......so tolerances end up not being a factor. Everything dead nuts on the money....or close enough.

With Al's workload, Dean took care of this and I really appreciated it because I was aiming for precision.

Al provided a printout of the test verification......the crossover, and impedance curves. This set was dead on.

Thanks again Dean......and Al of course.