Initial impressions of the SVS PC-Plus 16-46

wuzzzer

Posted Image

I laughed when I saw the sub the first time. ITS HUGE. The guy I bought it from had it setup in in a corner and he put in a CD and we listened to it for about a minute just for my peace of mine so that I knew it worked correctly.

When I got it home I placed it in a corner behind my left speaker. I set the crossover at 60Hz, the subsonic filter at 16Hz and the gain at 2/3. I have the phase set at 0 degrees. So far I haven't played around with any of the settings.

I put in Star Wars Ep III and fast forwarded to the scene where Yoda enters the room where Darth Sidius has the two red guards at the entrance. I always knew that when Yoda used the force to knock the guards over there was some low bass, but I could never hear it. GOOD NIGHT NURSE my pants legs shook! I watched the rest of the movie from that point on. I couldn't believe how much I had been missing before!

Then I put in Jurassic Park. Again, I thought the T-Rex was actually in my basement!

I also have a CD from Telarc that's called something like The Ultimate Fantasy Album that has tracks from Jurassic Park, Hunt for Red October, T2, etc. Track 3 is called Jurassic Lunch which is about 30 seconds long featuring a T-Rex approaching. I used to have a Sony receiver with a digital EQ display and every time I played this track, at the 10 second point the EQ just about went off the charts in the 20Hz and lower region but none of my previous speakers/subs ever played it. Not anymore...the bass was so low that I was feeling it more than hearing it. It was a very weird sensation. This thing definitely digs DEEP.

I have a techno bass CD that I've had for years that I was just listening to this morning. Every bass note was deep, loud and clear. We're talking bass that's easily 20Hz or even lower.

Its kept up well with my RF-7s so far. I was afraid that they'd drown the sub out but I guess they seem to be a darn good match!

My wife's working this weekend so that will give me time to play around with the crossover/level/phase settings.

Funny guys...it does sound a little better out of the box...

Posted Image

All kidding aside, it's nice to put faces with names. I had my face posted up here for years and never had a "handle". Probably should have, but didn't. All the folks I've talked with here, met with here ... all just great folks. You're obviously one of them. Nice gear, great SVS tube. Would love to hear it.

So, just curious ... what is the derivation of your handle, "wuzzzer" ... Did it come from something like, "wuzzzer name?"

Damn, those RF-7's are big. Of course, the Reference line isn't known for its diminutive nature. Bose cubes they ain't.

But I listened to RF-7's in the Boston area and just LOVED them. I could live with them in a moment. It's just that I have this psycho thing that dates back about 30 years to the first time I heard a Klipschorn. I was screwed after that.

Wuzzzer,

I sometimes picture people and I had a 20 year old with a baseball cap in mind. I will have to one day post pics of myself with my gear,you will all be rolling on the floor. [:P]

Good to see you removed the giant mufler from its box.

i say a big water heater

Not just a water heater...Darth Vader's water heater.

The RF-7s are very large. I had to borrow my brother in-law's 4Runner when I picked them up since they wouldn't fit in either of my sedans.

Wuzzzer is actually my brother's old nickname. One time he was playing football with some friends in the snow and he got hit hard and wanted to quit playing so someone wrote "wuss" in the snow but instead it looked like "wuzz" so people started calling him 'wuzzer.' Later on when we signed on AOL we lived in the same house so we just decided to have one account and use his nickname. Wuzzer with 2 z's was taken so we tried Wuzzzer with 3 z's and it was available. He then got his own AOL account and I just kept mine wuzzzer. From then on I just used wuzzzer for any forum or email address. His nickname became mine pretty much. [:)]

A while back I was using a Definitive Technology 15" powered sub that I had had for probably 8 years or so. It worked with my previous speakers but its output couldn't keep up anywhere near the RF-7s output. Plus, it didn't have hardly any output below 30Hz or so. It was also very boomy and almost all bass coming from it sounded the same.

I sold that sub just before I went to Florida back in May so that I'd have a little more spending $$ while down there.

I just started researching subs on here and on other sites and decided on an SVS. Happened to stumble across a great deal on one that was only about an hour away from me.