Gov't Mule review

steve

10 years ago, I was in Seattle looking for some hard to find Grand Funk CDs, and I stopped by a little hole in the wall CD import shop called "Soundwaves" and the guy behind the counter said, "if you're into that music, you should try some Gov't Mule". And, of course,being 1996, I said "who??!" So he gives me a demo copy, called "A Dose of the Mule" which was in fact a sampler from their second album, "Dose". Needless to say, I was hooked. I've collected everything the band has done to date.

I turned on as many people as I could to the Mule, and a couple of months ago, a couple I enlightened said they were going to a Gov't Mule concert in Seattle..would like it if my wife and I went. I had to think about it..as admittedly, I don't like crowds. But seeing how the theatre only held 1400 people..and I was about to turn 50, I figured it'd be a helluva birthday present.

So we jumped on the jet last Thursday, as the concert was on Friday. We stayed downtown Seattle, at the Moore hotel, as the concert was right next door, at the Moore theatre. We lined up about 45 minutes early, and this was a good move. We ended up in the 5th row, dead center. Donovan Frankenreiter opened up for the Mule, and he was really good..my only complaint was the bass player (as good as he was) overpowered the vocals and guitar..but the crowd seemed to like the artist, as did we.

Anyway, the Mule came on an hour later..they played new and old..from the new "Mr. High and Mighty" as one of the openers, with the older "Blind Man in the Dark", "Bad Little Doggie", "Tastes LIke Wine", Left Coast Groovies" etc. closing with the classic "Mule" and giving an encore with the new cut "So Weak So Strong". In between they did covers of the Beatles songs "She Said" (from the Dose album) "Tomorrow Never Knows" and believe it or not, "Love Me Do". They also covered Led Zep's "No Quarter" and did one unbelievable copy of it! Some folks like variation, but I liked the fact they didn't really stray from the original!

Matt Abts certainly didn't disappoint, being an original member, and his drumming abilities are unbelievable. Being an ex drummer from long ago, my jaw was agape. How that much sound could come from a person who made it look so simple was astounding. Bassist Andy Hess and keyboardist Danny Louis were no less than excellent, rounding out the sound that is Gov't Mule.

And of course there is Warren Haynes. This guy just commandeers the stage. He plays the guitar like a man possessed, and his vocals are so powerful, it's no wonder they don't have any other vocalists in the group! They really don't need it!

Anyway, they played for about 2 1/2 hours, every song was a treat! At times, I'm sure the sound levels reached 120-130 dbs! It actually shook my very being! Not sure I could take this on a daily basis, but now I see what others on this forum enjoy in their all solid state set ups! How in the hell do you guys still hear?? I have to admit, this was the ONLY concert I have ever been to..and like I stated before, I just turned 50 on the 12th of this month. But hey..it was worth the wait! Now when I play the DVD that came with the 2CD/1DVD release "The Deepest End", I re-live the experience.

For those that haven't heard of the Mule..a brief history. Warren Haynes and bassist Allen Woody helped revive the Allman Brothers, at the end of the 80's/early 90's with the ABB release "Seven Turns". They played on following releases too, but ventured out on their own as Gov't Mule in 1995, recruiting drummer Matt Abts. Allen Woody died suddenly after the release of their third studio album "Life Before Insanity" and the band decided to carry on, filling Allen's slot with guest bass players on their next three albums, the "Deep End" trilogy. They settled on the aforementioned bass player/keyboardist with their release "Deja Voodoo" a couple of years ago.

Anyway..it's my job to get you folks that don't know anything about the Mule to give them a listen. If you don't like rock and roll, well..you probably won't like them. But if you like straight forward, guitar/bass/drums combos, straight up R+R, this is for you. Mostly original, some covers. Any of their selection will do...but if you have a DVD player, get the "Deepest End" with 2 live CDs and the live DVD. You'll be a believer!

I had a ball! If you get the chance to see Gov't Mule, get after it!!

Steve

They play around here from time to time at outdoor festivals in the summer. I saw them in concert for the first time last year on Halloween. Great show, fun audience.

Would you recommend a Govt Mule 'primer' for those of us new to the group? I have a lot of Allman Brothers, so enjoy the musical style.

M

My neighbor turned me on to the Mule a few years ago, and I have several CDs...mostly Live stuff. It's every bit as good as you say.

I guess Warren Haynes has a Christmas jam every year in North Carolina. My neighbor, well ex-neighbor goes every year. I came close to attending once but have never made it.

Of course Warren also fronted the re-incarnated version of the Grateful Dead for about a year in 2004 (which was excellent), after spending several years (maybe 5 or 6) with Phil Lesh and Friends (also excellent....including Jimmy Herring). I have lots of all of this music. Warren could do the Dead thing real well.

Yes, Warren is a great Live performer.

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the show. Your first concert? Wow. Well you picked a good one. Thanks for the review. Now pick out another one and make it two!

130 db is about right. Though ZZ Top, Jethro Tull, and J Geils were probably the loudest I ever heard. It'll definitely shake you. My hearing would come back to normal in a couple of days!

Michael

I'd say "The Deepest End" would be the best choice, as you get 2 cds and one 3 hour DVD for a decent price. Personally, I like all their releases, but this one would definitely showcase them.

Forgot about the Dead thing Mark.thanx. I know they say Warren is one of the hardest working musicians in the business. He's everywhere!!

Absolutely love the Mule!!! Anybody in the NYC area....they play a 3 night run at the Beacon Theatre in Mahattan Dec 29, 30 and 31st . NYE they play 3 full sets. I went last year and it was a blast!! Got my tickets for this year. They are doing an extensive tour right now. The ticket are cheap...$26...here in Rochester. Check Mule out...... different than the Allmans. Warren is fantastic.