Hsu Research Subs? Yea or Ney

Klipsch-daddy

Can anyone tell me more about these subs? There specs. look good. I am looking at the TN1220h0 and the TN12250ho. I really dont know the difference inbetween them? Price wise is about 469.00 for the 25 and 339 for the 20.

------------------

My HTS:

MAINS: RF-3's

CENTER: KSC-C1(LOOKING FOR A RC-3 OR RC-3II)

REAR: SS-1's

SUB: KSW-12

TV: TOSHIBA THEATER VIEW 50"

RECEIVER:KENWOOD VR-4080B

DVD: SONY S-360 DVD PLAYER

monster cable interconnects/12 gauge speaker wire

boa12,

do you know the prices of these? I looked on the web but did not see anything.

------------------

My HTS:

boa12, I found the prices and they are way higher. over 250.00 dollars. I looked on audioreview and there are over 40 people that have rated the hsu research 4.69 out of 5.00. ?? I just wish my ksw-12 sounded better on music. It seems to have a hard time keeping up with the rf-3's. I wonder if there is anything wrong with it. I have always noticed that on the back where you put in the y cable on the side that says lfe it does not go in as far as the other input.????

------------------

My HTS:

This message has been edited by Klipsch-daddy on 11-23-2001 at 05:36 PM

note the hsu prices u quote don't include an amp. comparable svs are just as low or lower priced w/o an amp. i'd take audioreview w/ a grain o' salt. svs has the reviews there 2.

buck for buck w/ comparable subs svs better imo.

rca plugs many times don't push in all the way. plug in just that input & see if the sub still works ok though probably not as loud as w/ both. any obstructions inside that ksw input? me thinks u probably just need a more musical sub like svs.

------------------

My Home Systems Page

yea, its weird because alot of people say they only have the gain on the sub around 3-5 I have mine on like 8. If I turn it down below that I have to crank up the receiver to get anything?

------------------

My HTS:

Oh dear a simple question deserves a clear answer and here it comes...

The HSU TN1220HO is tuned have big output to 20Hz and the TN1225HO is longer(taller)and has big output down to 25Hz.

The TN1225HO will have more impact,for HT and most music its the best choice at the price.If you need a true deep bass sub the TN1220HO is the choice.

Both are very good choices,HSU is a proven name.HSU subs are outstanding values for the dollar.HSU cannot be overlooked by any serious sub bass fanatic.

HSU like SVS brings you BIG performance for your money.So YES HSU is a great choice.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Earwax, I said compared to svs. You don't seem to know

anything about SVS except for the ultras. Even the specs show SVS are superior to the HSU. MAybe the svs powered 25 tuned to 22hz is about $100 more to the hsu vtf, but it's specs are superior to justify the meager additional amount. if you just want cheap then the hsu wins but for another $100 or so the svs blows it away.

the svs tuned to 22hz goes lower & louder. TVod i'm sure can show those specs.

------------------

go forth & hump the world

My experience buying the HSU VTF-2 would not lead me to believe that they are overpriced. Prior to purchasing my two, I sent HSU a diagram of my room, an equipment list, and a budget that I wanted to spend. They then made a recommendation of which of their subs to purchase, where to locate them in the room for best performance, and were under my budget. I have an honest 25hz, (depending on exactly where the volume is set, it is somewhere between flat and -3db relative to 1 khz.) with no audible distortion, at my listening position. This performance is available at volume levels well in excess of what I would consider very loud and uncomfortable listening levels. Tests in various magazines compare the performance to subs costing 2 to 3 times as much.

Now I have no experience with SVS and can make no comment on them. But looking at their pricing, it seems that they and HSU are comparable.

Therefore, as I said, my experience would lead me to disagree with Forest's comment that HSU subs are overpriced. In fact, I would recommend the VTF-2 very highly, especially from a cost/performance standpoint.

------------------

L/C/R: Klipsch Heresy II

Surround: Klipsch RS-3

Subwoofers: 2 HSU-VTF-2

Pre/Pro/Tuner: McIntosh MX-132

AMP: McIntosh MC-7205

DVD: McIntosh MVP-831

CD Transport: Pioneer PD-F908 100 Disc Changer

Turntable: Denon DP-72L

Cassette: Nakamichi BX-1

T.V. : Mitsubishi 55905

SAT/HDTV: RCA DTC-100

Surge Protector: Monster Power HTS-5000

And earwax where are all your facts? You never seem to provide any output specs. Just built(sic) quality, construction & parts used (inputs) & your own blowhard opinions on how something sounds. Never any output performance specs. Everybody has to take what you say with a grain of salt. MUhahaha

------------------

Forest,

I haven't studied the SVS price list very thoroughly. Exactly which of their powered subs outperforms the VTF-2 for the same money or less?

Edit: I just looked at the SVS price list. The 25-31PC is the model that seems to compete with the VTF-2 and it sells for $669.00 vs $499.00 for the VTF-2. And the TN1225, with the 150 watt amp is $559.00. I know my HSU's are excellent performers, and I have heard many good things about SVS. I doubt if either one should be considered overpriced, and it doesn't appear to me that HSU is when compared to SVS.

------------------

This message has been edited by Kevin S on 11-25-2001 at 06:03 PM

Forest,

I did not look at price alone. My analysis: I know that my VTF-2's are flat to 25hz at my listening position in my room. I'll assume that the SVS 25-31PC will be also. I know that my VTF-2's maximum output capability is louder than I will listen to them 99% of the time. I'll assume the same for the SVS. The VTF-2 costs $499.00. The SVS is $669.00, a 34% premium to the VTF-2. Perhaps the ultimate output performance of the SVS is greater than the HSU (although I've seen no direct measured comparisons between the two). But based on these facts and assumptions, the HSU is certainly not overpriced. In fact, I believe a solid case could be made that compared to the SVS, it is a bargain.

Based on what I've read, I believe the same case could be made for the HSU TN1225HO which sells for $559.00 (including amp). In this case the SVS is a 20% premium to the HSU.

In fact, a case could be made that the TN1220HO, with a low end spec of 20hz (vs. 25 hz of the other subs we are speaking of) at $699.00 (including amp) is at least an equal value to the SVS, in spite of it's $30.00 higher price.

SVS fans should not take this to mean that I feel SVS are overpriced, or a poor value. It seems to me that the performance of the subs from both of these manufacturers represent excellent value compared to the rest of the subwoofer marketplace, and neither should be considered "overpriced".

------------------

I recommend the VTF_2 almost daily...anyone needing a powered sub <$500...that's what I recommend.

*value* is somehwat of a subjective vision...I don't believe anything svs or hsu is overpriced(except maybe HSU's 80k ICBM system Smile.gif.

I would like to comment on the hsu/svs comparsion though/..

>>>Based on what I've read, I believe the same case could be made for the HSU TN1225HO which sells for $559.00 (including amp). In this case the SVS is a 20% premium to the HSU.<<<

This is with the little apex oriented 150w amp sitting in a small box.

If you want to be fair...you'd compare this to the $369 25-31cs and add a $75-$90 plate amp(like hsu is selling you). So we'd save you about 100 bucks...have a much higher build quality(imo)...but you'd have to take 20 minutes to knock together a little 2 sided box if you wanted to set the plate amp in it(ala' hsu).

You could also go for the 25-31cs/S700 combo. At $719 it's $160 more. But you're getting 5x the amp power too. So it might be worth it to some.

>>>In fact, a case could be made that the TN1220HO, with a low end spec of 20hz (vs. 25 hz of the other subs we are speaking of) at $699.00 (including amp) is at least an equal value to the SVS, in spite of it's $30.00 higher price.<<<

Same deal...get the $449 20-39cs...add a $75-$90 plate amp that will give you 150w like the hsu amp...and we'd save you another $150.

So value is relative.

TV

SVS fans should not take this to mean that I feel SVS are overpriced, or

quote:

Originally posted by TVodhanel:

If you want to be fair...you'd compare this to the $369 25-31cs and add a $75-$90 plate amp(like hsu is selling you). So we'd save you about 100 bucks...have a much higher build quality(imo)...but you'd have to take 20 minutes to knock together a little 2 sided box if you wanted to set the plate amp in it(ala' hsu).

TV why recommend the VTF-2 at all when this is the better option? Guess only if somebody has to have a sub with a BUILT IN AMP for under $500 is the VTF-2 the better option. And the 25-31 can be tuned to 22hz by SVS. Guess the HSU owners don't know what they're missing if they don't hear it or know what the specs are. Biggrin.gif

------------------