Has anyone ever catalogued their CD collection "well recorded...great bass.." etc?

wuzzzer

I've noticed that on almost every CD I own some tracks can sound fantastic and then on the same CD some tracks are only mediocre.

Has anyone gone through each disc they have one by one and somehow kept track of which tracks sound the best? I know for me it would take days since I have probably 300+ CDs, but it might be worth it to do it to at least my favorite CDs.

It would be nice, especially when having people over and you want to demo your system.

My Sony CD changer will let you program a track listing for each CD and it will suppress the tracks you don't like. I've never used this feature, though. I suspect the memory, being a 1995 unit, is not that large.

Informally, we know that certain CDs and audio DVDs are really good and use them to show off the system. The SO likes to use the crash scene from Start Trek Generations as a test for audio and video. I like the Cappriccio Italian (sp?) from the Telarc DVD-A of the 1812 Overture, and of course many others. The Delos label has some wonderful recordings.

We have a cataloging system that uses the bar code to go out to the Net and find the metadata for each disc. It also retrieves a cover image and places it on a virtual bookshelf in the program. The iMusic store and iTunes will also do this, of course for the files they sell.

I don't do that with CD's but I do that with Concert DVD's--I make mental notes and it's like... the next time I put the DVD in --I skip past those mediocre tracks.[H]

A very wise way to "ignore" the lemons,I have ...mmm what 1200 plus CD's now and can say each time I pop one in I will skip tracks on most.Be it quality or I do not like the piece itself. There are very few outstanding CD's I will not skip a single trash and listen to it all.