Best way to ship large speakers without original boxes?

wuzzzer

What would be the best way to go about shipping speakers such as RF-7s if a person doesn't have the original boxes? Should I try and look for my own boxes or should I have someone such as UPS or FedEx box them?

(Don't worry, I'm not selling mine! [;)] )

I build crates for the ones I ship.

Basiclly 1 inch foam sheets on the sides, 2 inch foam sheets on the tops and bottoms, enclosed in 1/4 plywood with fir 1X1 framing.

Let me know if fedex or ups provides boxing services....didn't know they did.

If you could build your own, you'd save a ton on labor. This week I shipped a pair of Bose 802's from Arkansas to South Carolina. Took them to the UPS store because I was covered up. Usually I'd do the chore myself. Packing and shipping for the pair was $150. I think that's kind of pricey. It cost more to pack them up than the cost of the shipping.

Cut sheets of styro work well. It's the only thing I'd use to line the boxes.

I build crates for the ones I ship.

Basiclly 1 inch foam sheets on the sides, 2 inch foam sheets on the tops and bottoms, enclosed in 1/4 plywood with fir 1X1 framing.

Let me know if fedex or ups provides boxing services....didn't know they did.

A definite great idea,well constructed crates lined with foam protec better than any cardboard box.As cardboard boxes even when using very durable and multi layer cardboard is prone to easy puncturing!

Dynaudio uses cardboard boxes for speakers that weigh over 100lbs per speaker,the secret is in using double boxed and lined with very thick rubber foam(very dense and heavy).This would weigh even more than the crate lined with foam.

wuzzer is this cause the rf-7 you don't feel like stacking them in the back of the sedan?

No, I've got a line on a certain speaker that I might buy and then resell on eBay. The seller doesn't have the original boxes so I was wondering the best way to go about getting them boxed safely to ship.

I agree, crates for the really expensive stuff is the best!, especially if it's a two way deal so you get your "crate" back....

Interestingly, the actual UPS Stores (generally not UPS "representatives", drop off points, etc.) now have really good boxes. Pricey, but perfect. My favorite for speakers is their 20 x 20 x 24 tall, double thick box designed for moving or shipping dishes/ glasses. I buy two of them for each speaker, and slide the one over the other as the final part. Very tight fit and you have to work at it, but it is like armor... For spacers, it's Ace Hardware.... and a 12 pack of 14" x 48" x 1/2" thick styro board. For "bulking" the corners, or odd spaces, I use shredded paper stuff from the office; it's old style, but is great for corners, and between a styro board/ cardboard and a woofer speaker cone to keep it from moving around; I always pack the speaker grills on the back of the speaker sandwiched between two pieces of cardboard to keep them "flat".

I dont have the evidence handy here at work, but studies - and experience with reviewing dozens of pieces of stereo equipment - tell me that you are best off with 2-3 of Styrofoam on all sides. Styrofoam sheets are cheap at Home Depot there is a pack of 5 sheets for $6.00 in the insulating section of the lumber Department.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The package has to survive a three-foot drop off the back of a truck!!!! The box does NOT have to be one piece. Ive used 2 boxes, cut in half, to surround the speaker, being sure to cover all corners. Then wrapped all sides with tape. Furniture stores are also good for boxes. Just drive around back. So are shopping centers although the big box retail stores crush their boxes.