The old days, well 30 years ago

dtel

• Moderators

I made it a point to not to say disco, but that's what it was .

If you went to see live music it was rock or jazz but almost all the clubs were disco.

It was not the disco I was chasing!

What's strange is on dish network there is about 150 music channels , flipping thru them you find a bunch of music that sounds just like disco, but it's called everything but disco.

If you worked in New Orleans East, do remember Sound Trek Audio, they had a store across Read rd from the mall. They also had a store on the service road in Metairie. I loved those stores, you never knew what kind of stuff they were going to get, it always was changing and they had good prices.

I miss real audio stores that don't just stick with just a few brands and never change or try something new.

Sorry for the delay in replying..got busy. Yes, I remember Sound Trek. I bought a tuner from Silo, which was nearby. I also went to Wilson Audio, which was near the Garden District (I think) they were the high-end and I'd go there to educate my ears.

Big Dogs owned McIntosh......to me that was the sound of the 70's....the first serious stereo I ever heard was LaScalas driven by Mac...never forgot the WOW factor of that set-up......Sounded damn good then, still sounds good now.....would like to hear Jubilee's pushed by Mac.....I will someday.................the Guitar sound of the era..Gibsons through Marshall's....WOW factor indeed...................Metal anyone????

When I first started out doing live sound mixing, I used McIntosh amps, but they were so heavy and I had to run fans on them or they were always shutting down.

In the 70's, Benjamin's in Bangor had several McIntosh MC2300's mounted on shelves behind the bar, and about 10 La Scala's built into custom brick cubbies located throughout the club. The bands would bring their own board and processing and plug into the main PA system. It was ridiculous, because people in the other room would be getting just the support mix coming through the PA board, while those in the room with the band got the full mix. The location for the sound man wasn't in near enough to any speakers!

Greg

If you worked in New Orleans East, do remember Sound Trek Audio, they had a store across Read rd from the mall. They also had a store on the service road in Metairie. I loved those stores, you never knew what kind of stuff they were going to get, it always was changing and they had good prices.

I miss real audio stores that don't just stick with just a few brands and never change or try something new.

Sorry for the delay in replying..got busy. Yes, I remember Sound Trek. I bought a tuner from Silo, which was nearby. I also went to Wilson Audio, which was near the Garden District (I think) they were the high-end and I'd go there to educate my ears.

Oh man.....you guys are making me do some serious reminiscing over here. I went to all those places. In Gulfport, MS there was Sound Advice. Remember that place? It was started by a man who live just down the street from me - E.A. Helwick. He also had a daughter my age who was H - OH - EM - EE homely. And then she got all us guys back about 15 years later when the ugly duckling became SMOKING hot and none of us could get close to her. [:(] [:'(] Anyhow.......

I agree - there not many true audio stores left. However, if you're ever in Beaufort, SC stop in to Audio Warehouse, ask for Dennis and mention my name. Those folks LOVE two channel.

Another great place is Read Brothers Stereo in Charleston, SC. You gotta love a store with the word "Stereo" in the name.

Tom

I remember ol' man Helwick. He had a younger brother who always smoked a pipe. It was in their store (the original one) that I first saw a Marantz 10B.

N.O. East was always a strange place...it never should have been built, but the city had no where else to grow. When I worked there, some of my co-workers would hunt wild hogs in the swamps just off I-10 The apartments off Read, Crowder and Bullard wre mostly POS thrown up during the oil boom. Lake Forest Mall was nice but went down hill in the 90s and I think is more or less closed. Crime got pretty bad and nobody wanted to go to the anchor stores any more. I also would sometimes eat lunch at Pendelton Methodist Hospital.

From late 83 to early 85 I lived in The Pass and had 110 mile round trip commute everyday. I finally started making a decent salary and I moved to the Quarter for the last two years I was there and therefore had a quick commute against traffic. The last year I lived there I worked in Algiers so I watched them build the 'new" bridge, what is now called the Crescent City Connection.

• Moderators

N.O East is even stranger now maby 1 house out of 300 is being repaired, the police don't even want to go in there !

When we went to the French Quarter from our house passing the East there no lights from Paris road to you get over the high rise bridge, a strange sight.

Not as strange as I-10 between the lake and N.O. East, dead alligators, dear and hogs on the interstate .

The Wildlife and fisheries warned of wild animals taking back over in the subdivisions in the East.

I am not surprised about the wildlife taking N.O. East back over. Jazzland (aka Six Flags New Orleans) ain't coming back and will be expensive to dismantle. I pity the folks who think they can rebuild in the East. The city has done them no favors by refusing to concede that certain parts of town must be abandoned for safety and sheer economics. These folks are rebuilding on blocks where they may be the only people, and the city can't afford to restore full services out there. The footprint has to shrink, it's just the gutless politicians won't say so in public.

For those of you who are locals or visitors...the city recently anounced it will beef up towing in the Quarter. This is a good thing, since driveways were being blocked overnight and fire lanes obstructed. The streets are narrow, and there are not enough overnight parking spaces for the residents, who have district parking stickers, so illegally parked vehicles are a big problem. When I pull into town, I park, outside the Quarter, and walk as much as possible or take United Cab, 504-522-9771.

Richard Long the noted audio designer who would later create the sound system for Larry Levans "Paradise Garage." Having a large loft space allowed Mancuso to purchase two pairs of Klipschorn ® loudspeakers in 1966-67. The three-way horn loaded speakers were huge units that needed to be placed in a corner and had a frequency response of 33hz-17khz. The Klipschorn's ® are known for their efficiency and ability to play clearly at loud levels. These were mated to a McIntosh amp and pre-amp and two AR (Acoustic Research) turntables.In the beginning there was no mixer so Mancuso merely switched turntables by using the "phono 1" and "phono 2" switch on the McIntosh preamplifier. Later he rigged two Shure phono preamps with a level control to fade between them. This eventually gave way to a custom built mixer around 1973. Apparently long overlays were never part of the equation as the mixer merely served as a means to segue from one record to the other or allow Mancuso to stitch together two copies of the same song to create a longer version. Dr Who, pro audio is being used by DJs here in the Midwest we run some really impressive systems.Now if we are talking about mobile DJ weekend warriors on a budget I agree crap in crap out [:o] same with Clubs done on the cheap!!!