re-coning of non-Klipsch speaks

endover

I have acquired a free pair of JBL LX-55 (large bookshelf) speakers that are in very good condition except the foam is falling out of the 10" woofers (so I guess that means they're not in "very good" condition huh?). I've looked on JBL's website and they show that they no longer carry the kits to fix them. I don't want to put a lot of money into these but they they'll work great in my drum room if I can get them up and running. Any suggestions how I can get those fixed? I'll gladly do it myself.

Yeah...yeah...I know these aren't Klipsch but they were free. I promise not to put them anywhere near my Chorus'.

Thanks!

10 inch refoam kit is about 30 bucks plus shipping per speaker on ebay. When you consider the time, chemicals, and the learning curve to ramp up a successful re-cone effort, might want to also look into replacement 10 inch woofers.

I did my first re-cone job last year on a pair of Boston Acoustics A100's. Got my repair kit from PartsExpress, but there are other sites that i've heard of. I spent $30 and was very happy how they turned out. Now I've got a pair of OHM C-2's that I want to get done by end of year. My favorite site for audio related info is audiokarma.org, which I visit daily (along with Klipsch of course)!

Good luck!

I have acquired a free pair of JBL LX-55 (large bookshelf) speakers that are in very good condition except the foam is falling out of the 10" woofers (so I guess that means they're not in "very good" condition huh?). I've looked on JBL's website and they show that they no longer carry the kits to fix them. I don't want to put a lot of money into these but they they'll work great in my drum room if I can get them up and running. Any suggestions how I can get those fixed? I'll gladly do it myself.

Yeah...yeah...I know these aren't Klipsch but they were free. I promise not to put them anywhere near my Chorus'.

Thanks!

I haver a pair of these that I also got for free from a good friend. I was with him when he bought them new in about 1991. They were about $750 back then. They are not L100's but still pretty good speakers.

Our local DJ Supply shop will refoam speakers for about $50 a pair and he supplies the foams. I always clean off the old foam and bring him the drivers.

You will enjoy these, they do very well with SS withotu sounding harsh.

I refoamed a set of realistic Mach One speakers for a friend of mine almost 2 years ago and they turned out very nice. I shot a bunch of pictures of the project while I was doing it and it might be some help too you, it was actually my fist refoaming project. Do a search in the Update And Modification Forum. Type in (Refoaming a set of mach one woofers) this should bring you too the thread.

They don't need to be re-coned (thats replacement of cone, voice coil and spider) but rather need to be re-foamed or re-edged.

It is a pretty easy task and enjoyable if you like to work with your hands. I have refoamed 40 or so speakers so far.

Here are a few tips:

1) I use a highly bright light on an end of a flexi stalk in order to

heat up a 3" area where the foam meets the cone or basket so as to make

the glue more pliable. Some glues don't take well to this but the

majority of them do.

2) Use a drimmel with wire brush to clean up the basket / foam contact

area afterwards if there is lots of sticky residue. Regardless of

the residue you just might want to scuff up this area with light grit

sandpaper in order to make the adhesive stick better.

3) Shims work fine but you can also do the work sans shims even with

highly efficient speakers (smaller voice coil gap). I have done

two Cerwin Vega re-edges sans shims and they both have come out fine.

4) The milky white glue that most re-edge kits come with SUCKS because

it is hard to work with (takes 5 minutes to setup). Go with kits

that supply the orangish / yellowish glue.

5) Orange County Speaker repair is a very legit company for re-edge

kits. You have to request the orangish glue though with some

kits. They might have stopped offering JBL kits as I think that

JBL wants to start doing all that stuff in house now or something

(think I read this recently).

If you have any questions just PM me